There are 209 users in the forums

What will Jimmy's trade value be in the offseason?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What will Jimmy's trade value be in the offseason?

At this point it looks like Jimmy is not going to be traded until he is healthy or the prognosis is he is going to be ready 100% by training camp. A draft day trade seems more likely if a team misses out on a qb. We all know at this point Kyle Shanahan is not going to cut him especially since some of you are claiming not having that 25 million or 18 million if we count his injury guarantee isn't affecting our moves in free agency.

I think it is, because we could certainly use a pass rusher or a guard but if we are not looking to do that then we are definitely going to get value for Jimmy once he is healthy. Even if it takes up into training camp when a team gets desperate Or realizes they aren't going to be winning with their present situation like Carolina. I guess if we want to make another move or two in free agency we can always restructure Wards contract bc at this point we aren't releasing Jimmy.
[ Edited by elguapo on Mar 21, 2022 at 8:40 PM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by dj43:
The worst possible scenario is that we cut Garoppolo and get nothing in return, and go into the season with Nate Sudfeld as the backup QB. Does anybody really want to see that?

Worst case scenario is having Jimmy on the roster for $27M for 2022.

He wouldn't really hurt us if we did that.

True. Having $27M isn't likely to make much of a difference in free agency.

We don't need over priced free agents. Build through the draft.

Yeah, we need a $27 million backup. Quick question for you: can dogs fly in the world you live in? Seems like a really strange place.
[ Edited by NotAFinga42 on Mar 21, 2022 at 8:42 PM ]
Originally posted by NotAFinga42:
The worst possible scenario is that we cut Garoppolo and get nothing in return, and go into the season with Nate Sudfeld as the backup QB. Does anybody really want to see that?

We don't need over priced free agents. Build through the draft.

Yeah, we need a $27 million backup. Quick question for you: can humans fly in the world you live in? Seems like a really strange place.

Some portion of the way through the year some QB will get hurt. It happens every year. Then we can trade him.
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Originally posted by mitpdub:
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Originally posted by Brucey72:

I agree.

What the "cut Jimmy now" people don't realize is the $7.5M is not guaranteed, it's only guaranteed if we cut him while he is injured, if they really want to cut him, they wait until July, and a doctor clears him to practice, and then cut him then and save $27M instead of $20M.

The only thing that stops the team from doing between now and then is signing 1 year deals. All other deals can be back loaded.

Great post thanks for the clarification!

If there's no deal now, shouldn't we just cut him so we can make moves with FA pick ups? Backloading as you say is still a risk. Will we even have room for rookie draft deals, don't we have to be under the cap for those? $20M fees up a lot of space, the team may be better off just clearing the books and resetting. Would management and ownership want to continue with this circus until July?

I would think that Yee has been making calls to GMs too and knows his clients Market. If we prolonged until July Yee is going to make sure Jimmy has a setback and can't throw. Lynch will lose the waiting game against Yee I'm afraid.

There is no difference in a 2 year $10M contract that has $7M cap hit this year and $3M cap hit next year, and one with a $1M cap hit this year, with $6M in unused cap after Jimmy's contract is off the books, that the team allows to rollover to next year.

Like I said, the only thing his contract is preventing the team from doing is offering a Gilmore/Wagner type a $10M 1 year deal, or offering Tartt, Kwaun, and Key all 1 year deals, but even those have ways around it. They could be offered 2 year deals with a player option to void the 2nd year if they reach certain incentives,

There's no way Yee is taking only $3M for next year and re writing his deal. He would do better getting cut and taking his $7.5M this year. Yee won't give up that injury. Lynch can find a doctor to try to say he's clear, but Yee's Dr and Jimmy can always say he's not feeling right. I don't see Yee saying in July his client is good if there's not a trade partner.
[ Edited by mitpdub on Mar 21, 2022 at 8:44 PM ]

That would be the highest paid backup in the league. Executive of the year candidate consideration for that signing.

Honestly the reality is he hasn't played bad enough to lose the starting job.

The worst part of all of this is if he starts again this year and we wasted 3 first round picks on a guy to sit on his @ss on the bench for two year while we get close to a SB.

Those picks could have been what puts us over the top and we might have actually won one if we had them.

It's just terrible gm moves all the way around. Reach for lance then can't seem to offload garapollo.
Despite our varying perspectives in this thread, can we all align on our disappointment for how much time we have collectively wasted coming in here and constantly refreshing this page for news of a trade?
Originally posted by MeddlingKids:
Despite our varying perspectives in this thread, can we all align on our disappointment for how much time we have collectively wasted coming in here and constantly refreshing this page for news of a trade?

LOL +1. Sometimes I see that several new pages have been made quickly and think something may have happened, only to see it's a discussion about one of the other QBs and the new home they got.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:

That would be the highest paid backup in the league. Executive of the year candidate consideration for that signing.

Honestly the reality is he hasn't played bad enough to lose the starting job.

The worst part of all of this is if he starts again this year and we wasted 3 first round picks on a guy to sit on his @ss on the bench for two year while we get close to a SB.

Those picks could have been what puts us over the top and we might have actually won one if we had them.

It's just terrible gm moves all the way around. Reach for lance then can't seem to offload garapollo.

Wasted? When I was a kid rookies sat for 1-3 years.

lance is young.

this isn't a long term issue.
Originally posted by NotAFinga42:
LOL +1. Sometimes I see that several new pages have been made quickly and think something may have happened, only to see it's a discussion about one of the other QBs and the new home they got.

You hit the nail on the head. A couple times I click forward two pages, see two pages left to refresh and think something big must have happened!
If we don't trade him in the next few days for that two 2nds then I guess it's not there. If that's the case we have to wait longer and see if we can come up with something. Or we eventually release him. Or be willing to take something less.

I would wager a lot of $$$ that offer was never made. If it was, Lynch would have acted immediately.

Originally posted by elguapo:
At this point it looks like Jimmy is not going to be traded until he is healthy or the prognosis is he is going to be ready 100% by training camp. A draft day trade seems more likely if a team misses out on a qb. We all know at this point Kyle Shanahan is not going to cut him especially since some of you are claiming not having that 25 million or 18 million if we count his injury guarantee isn't affecting our moves in free agency.

I think it is, because we could certainly use a pass rusher or a guard but if we are not looking to do that then we are definitely going to get value for Jimmy once he is healthy. Even if it takes up into training camp when a team gets desperate Or realizes they aren't going to be winning with their present situation like Carolina. I guess if we want to make another move or two in free agency we can always restructure Wards contract bc at this point we aren't releasing Jimmy.

Jimmy can be held until he can pass the physical (which he will want to do as quickly as possible) then we cut him to save $7m. I'm sure Lynch and team are totally aware of timing to cut and not lose money. If a trade comes swell. If not, pass the physical and boot him out.
[ Edited by 9erson3 on Mar 21, 2022 at 9:01 PM ]
If he's still around during the regular season, lunch is on him (Subways) erryday
Haven't been this let down since the Lion King remake.
Originally posted by Polkadots:
If we don't trade him in the next few days for that two 2nds then I guess it's not there. If that's the case we have to wait longer and see if we can come up with something. Or we eventually release him. Or be willing to take something less.

I would wager a lot of $$$ that offer was never made. If it was, Lynch would have acted immediately.

This. I know everyone here is an expert, but there's a strong possibility that nobody is aware of the situation more than John Lynch.
Share 49ersWebzone