There are 185 users in the forums

What will Jimmy's trade value be in the offseason?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What will Jimmy's trade value be in the offseason?

Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
The worst possible scenario is that we cut Garoppolo and get nothing in return, and go into the season with Nate Sudfeld as the backup QB. Does anybody really want to see that?

Worst case scenario is having Jimmy on the roster for $27M for 2022.

How would that be worse than Nate Sudfeld starting game four after a 3-0 start?

It's possible to bring in someone better than Sudfield. It's not Jimmy or no one.
The worst possible scenario is that we cut Garoppolo and get nothing in return, and go into the season with Nate Sudfeld as the backup QB. Does anybody really want to see that?

It's possible to bring in someone better than Sudfield. It's not Jimmy or no one.

You don't just come in here and take Sudfields job
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Sudsy at least secured himself to a spot on the team
Originally posted by pillageDatazz:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Jimmy wins!

But nobody wants him?

So far, Subways is the only franchise that offered him a big deal

I'm honestly surprised he doesn't get more commercials. He has the look. He has been to multiple NFC Championship Games and 1 Super Bowl. So he is well known.

It's a shame that Baker / Kap got more commercials than JG when they absolutely did much less and choked more

Kap, albeit the one read QB he was, did more and beat more teams on his own than Jimmy did. He was exciting to watch that's for sure, for a while. If Kaep could read a defense he might have been legit.
Why does it feel like Sudafed is going to be Shanny's new ball boy and running errands for him
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Jimmy wins!

But nobody wants him?

So far, Subways is the only franchise that offered him a big deal

I'm honestly surprised he doesn't get more commercials. He has the look. He has been to multiple NFC Championship Games and 1 Super Bowl. So he is well known.

It's a shame that Baker / Kap got more commercials than JG when they absolutely did much less and choked more

Kap, albeit the one read QB he was, did more and beat more teams on his own than Jimmy did. He was exciting to watch that's for sure, for a while. If Kaep could read a defense he might have been legit.

I suppose that could of come easily to him if he put as much effort in studying film / defenses as he did in non football stuff like trying to find chicken wings Larry Bird hid or playing video games with Willow, etc
I mean...

Zero value jimmy needs to be cut.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Maybe we should have traded Sudfield for 2 2nds, find a different backup, then dump Jimmy

Originally posted by mitpdub:
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Originally posted by mitpdub:
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Originally posted by Brucey72:

I agree.

What the "cut Jimmy now" people don't realize is the $7.5M is not guaranteed, it's only guaranteed if we cut him while he is injured, if they really want to cut him, they wait until July, and a doctor clears him to practice, and then cut him then and save $27M instead of $20M.

The only thing that stops the team from doing between now and then is signing 1 year deals. All other deals can be back loaded.

Great post thanks for the clarification!

If there's no deal now, shouldn't we just cut him so we can make moves with FA pick ups? Backloading as you say is still a risk. Will we even have room for rookie draft deals, don't we have to be under the cap for those? $20M fees up a lot of space, the team may be better off just clearing the books and resetting. Would management and ownership want to continue with this circus until July?

I would think that Yee has been making calls to GMs too and knows his clients Market. If we prolonged until July Yee is going to make sure Jimmy has a setback and can't throw. Lynch will lose the waiting game against Yee I'm afraid.

There is no difference in a 2 year $10M contract that has $7M cap hit this year and $3M cap hit next year, and one with a $1M cap hit this year, with $6M in unused cap after Jimmy's contract is off the books, that the team allows to rollover to next year.

Like I said, the only thing his contract is preventing the team from doing is offering a Gilmore/Wagner type a $10M 1 year deal, or offering Tartt, Kwaun, and Key all 1 year deals, but even those have ways around it. They could be offered 2 year deals with a player option to void the 2nd year if they reach certain incentives,

There's no way Yee is taking only $3M for next year and re writing his deal. He would do better getting cut and taking his $7.5M this year. Yee won't give up that injury. Lynch can find a doctor to try to say he's clear, but Yee's Dr and Jimmy can always say he's not feeling right. I don't see Yee saying in July his client is good if there's not a trade partner.

I wasn't talking about Jimmy getting that contract, I was talking about how his contract doesn't prevent us from doing any long term deals. The $10M contract was an example
Originally posted by Crown:
Wasted? When I was a kid rookies sat for 1-3 years.

lance is young.

this isn't a long term issue.

Its top 5 in most draft capital ever given up for a player. We gave up 4 picks for him. Nobody has ever done that and had that player sit two years. We could be the first ones ever. It's more pathetic that we could have used it all to try to push us over the top.

It's not a problem to have him sit. It's a problem to give up 3 years of first round picks and a 3rd round pick to have him sit 2 years.

It's basically the equivalent of the redskins trade to the Rams for rg3 but instead they decided to sit him 2 years.

In a lot of ways it's worse because we are actually good and not having the draft picks.

They could have offloaded jimmy. I bet they still could for a second but I think they may not be sold on lance yet or they would have already cut Jimmy.
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Originally posted by Crown:
Wasted? When I was a kid rookies sat for 1-3 years.

lance is young.

this isn't a long term issue.

Its top 5 in most draft capital ever given up for a player. We gave up 4 picks for him. Nobody has ever done that and had that player sit two years. We could be the first ones ever. It's more pathetic that we could have used it all to try to push us over the top.

It's not a problem to have him sit. It's a problem to give up 3 years of first round picks and a 3rd round pick to have him sit 2 years.

It's basically the equivalent of the redskins trade to the Rams for rg3 but instead they decided to sit him 2 years.

In a lot of ways it's worse because we are actually good and not having the draft picks.

They could have offloaded jimmy. I bet they still could for a second but I think they may not be sold on lance yet or they would have already cut Jimmy.

A lot of that could be true. It's a lot of what is going on.
Jimmy on the roster is only a problem if they keep playing around with the idea of keeping him on the roster for the 2022 season.

If they want to wait until he clears out medically to save on that guaranteed money then fine but just make sure he stays at home and rehabs during the offseason work and make sure everybody in the building understands it's Lance in 2022 and Jimmy is gone once he's cleared medically.
Originally posted by MoeJontana84:
Maybe we should have traded Sudfield for 2 2nds, find a different backup, then dump Jimmy

We actually had an offer for a second round pick on the table for him and turned it down.

Edit: for those that couldn't tell I was being facetious.
[ Edited by NotAFinga42 on Mar 21, 2022 at 10:56 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone