There are 206 users in the forums

What will Jimmy's trade value be in the offseason?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What will Jimmy's trade value be in the offseason?

Originally posted by NotAFinga42:
Ok, I'm going to probably be the 1,000,000th guy to tell you this, so please try to stay with me. Trey isn't ready yet.

Forget Jimmy, if Trey isn't ready to play after a year of sitting out, then the focus should be on Shanalynch spending THREE first round picks to get him. They couldve spent the capital on players who couldve helped the Niners last year and this year instead of a bench warmer. You saw that THREE first round picks can get you a Deshaun Watson. This will be by far the biggest crime, whereas not getting some perceived/speculative value for Jimmy is laughable in comparison.
[ Edited by the_dynasty on Mar 22, 2022 at 1:31 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by cciowa:
We made that move, though. The trade to get Lance was the move to get us over the hump because Jimmy was the guy holding us back.

but it means little if you keep this current wretched o line in tact and roll with it for this year.. we were also told they would surround trey with great talent.. the team still needs a running back. a second tight end cuz kittle is unreliable. a fast wide out. the team has been wonderful in fixing special teams but we still have jimmy. we have a wretched offensive line. gotta take care of those things. a get over the hump qb means little if you got him behind a nickle and dime o line

Our offensive line was at worst average at pass protection last year. We did just lose Tomlinson though.

Nope. Much worse in various stats. We really need to prioritize pass pro now -- for either trey or healed up jimmy -- with no real home run hitter to spice up our outside zone game anymore.

And Jimmy was bottom ten in the NFL in INT%. Does that mean he was the tenth worst QB? In the one stat that directly measures pass protection (pass block win rate), we were 14th.

What? I don't remember that. I remember looking at the collective stats and seeing us bottom ten is a few stats like pressure % and hit rate %.

When evaluating our OLine play you MUST look at % stats, because we pass the least amount of any team in the league by a mile.

Here, I'll do the quick search for you:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32176833/2021-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings

And rate IS a %. This IS pass block win PERCENTAGE.

The error you are making is believing pressure rate and hit rate are the same as offensive line success or failure. Sometimes a QB is pressured because after his oline wins, he hesitates and buys the defense another opportunity to pressure him. Same thing with hit rate. The stat that measures how well your offensive line does is pass block win rate.

Just to help, hit rate % per passing attempts, the 9ers were 18th. Last year was our best year. But to your point, Laken is gone now.

Yeah but we're talking in context of Jimmy.

We are probably well and truly f**ked in terms of oline next year, unless Banks surprises us all.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by elguapo:
What if Trey Lance is really not ready? They want to bring Jimmy G back to start another year. Lance sits 2 years. Jimmy G plays out his contract.

If he's not ready? Well, the only thing he has to do is throw a measly 20 tds and 12 ints NOT counting what he brings with his rushing ability and ability to make and extend plays which we saw in the Houston game. (You know the defense that whipped Herbert the week prior).

What a low bar, so he doesn't have to be "ready" just manage the game and play like a bottom 10 qb.

He doesn't manage the game well. His reads are wild. Like the interception in the Houston game to the left sideline. He didn't see the coverage. He doesn't see everything right now. That's part of not being ready.

As for Jimmy G he was hurt some of the year. Still played well. He made the NFC Championship Game. He made the final 4. With multiple injuries. So it really wasn't that bad.

Ok, now go through each of Jimmy's 38 interceptions and explain how the above doesn't apply to him.

Lance contributed more to the team making the NFC Championship game by not being a net negative in the playoffs like Jimmy was.

LOL. What? Lance didn't get us to 2 NFC Championship Games and 1 Super Bowl in 3 years. Jimmy G did that. If we bring Jimmy G back for another year we can make another run. Or we can play a QB who is not ready and likely tanks the season.

You are just dribbling garbage mate. Give it a rest. Trey will be ready. Book it.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by cciowa:
We made that move, though. The trade to get Lance was the move to get us over the hump because Jimmy was the guy holding us back.

but it means little if you keep this current wretched o line in tact and roll with it for this year.. we were also told they would surround trey with great talent.. the team still needs a running back. a second tight end cuz kittle is unreliable. a fast wide out. the team has been wonderful in fixing special teams but we still have jimmy. we have a wretched offensive line. gotta take care of those things. a get over the hump qb means little if you got him behind a nickle and dime o line

Our offensive line was at worst average at pass protection last year. We did just lose Tomlinson though.

Nope. Much worse in various stats. We really need to prioritize pass pro now -- for either trey or healed up jimmy -- with no real home run hitter to spice up our outside zone game anymore.

And Jimmy was bottom ten in the NFL in INT%. Does that mean he was the tenth worst QB? In the one stat that directly measures pass protection (pass block win rate), we were 14th.

What? I don't remember that. I remember looking at the collective stats and seeing us bottom ten is a few stats like pressure % and hit rate %.

When evaluating our OLine play you MUST look at % stats, because we pass the least amount of any team in the league by a mile.

Here, I'll do the quick search for you:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32176833/2021-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings

And rate IS a %. This IS pass block win PERCENTAGE.

The error you are making is believing pressure rate and hit rate are the same as offensive line success or failure. Sometimes a QB is pressured because after his oline wins, he hesitates and buys the defense another opportunity to pressure him. Same thing with hit rate. The stat that measures how well your offensive line does is pass block win rate.

Just to help, hit rate % per passing attempts, the 9ers were 18th. Last year was our best year. But to your point, Laken is gone now.

ok i am wrong.

we rank very well with advanced pass stats which i am surprised at.

this is the link

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/advanced.htm

To play the devil's advocate to myself, pressure, again, isn't necessarily always due to the offensive line. We may have a low pressure rate much of the time because Jimmy gets rid of the ball really quickly.

To show how this very well may be true, advanced stats has Jimmy pressured at about 19%, but Trey at about 22%. If Trey qualified, that would amount to a few ranking positions difference just from switching QBs. That to me suggests that we ought to be looking at these in groups of a few, rather than saying "rank 10 is definitely better than rank 13."

For this I used this link:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/passing_advanced.htm
Various rumor mongers say the 49ers have 2 second round picks on the table for Jimmy. If that's really true, Lynch needs to be reprimanded for not making it happen. On the other hand, it might be Lynch himself lying about it.
interesting.
Originally posted by MeddlingKids:
Despite our varying perspectives in this thread, can we all align on our disappointment for how much time we have collectively wasted coming in here and constantly refreshing this page for news of a trade?

Disagree. Reading the meltdowns every time a media report comes out has been fun as hell.
What if Trey Lance is really not ready? They want to bring Jimmy G back to start another year. Lance sits 2 years. Jimmy G plays out his contract.

If he's not ready? Well, the only thing he has to do is throw a measly 20 tds and 12 ints NOT counting what he brings with his rushing ability and ability to make and extend plays which we saw in the Houston game. (You know the defense that whipped Herbert the week prior).

What a low bar, so he doesn't have to be "ready" just manage the game and play like a bottom 10 qb.

He doesn't manage the game well. His reads are wild. Like the interception in the Houston game to the left sideline. He didn't see the coverage. He doesn't see everything right now. That's part of not being ready.

As for Jimmy G he was hurt some of the year. Still played well. He made the NFC Championship Game. He made the final 4. With multiple injuries. So it really wasn't that bad.

Ok, now go through each of Jimmy's 38 interceptions and explain how the above doesn't apply to him.

Lance contributed more to the team making the NFC Championship game by not being a net negative in the playoffs like Jimmy was.

LOL. What? Lance didn't get us to 2 NFC Championship Games and 1 Super Bowl in 3 years. Jimmy G did that. If we bring Jimmy G back for another year we can make another run. Or we can play a QB who is not ready and likely tanks the season.

Strange that literally zero other teams wanted Jimmy if he's that capable. Even Mariota and Trubisky were more valued than Jimmy.

And before it's brought up, no team offered us two second rounds picks for Jimmy. The only two seconds that belong in this discussion is in reference to the amount of time it would take us to agree to trade him to any team willing to give us absolutely anything for him at this point.

He's injured, coming off surgery and has a high salary. All coming into play. It's not that he can't play or holds no value. He mostly wins regular season and playoffs. He has value.

As for offers they had or currently have you will never know for sure. It's possible the still get something for him. Or have or had an offer on the table.

San Diego, I can't believe you actually said Trey does not see coverage when that is the fatal flaw of Jimmy Garoppolo. You've got to use another example. If you want to use wild passes then you might want to address some of Jimmy's horrible wild passes. Jimmy still makes rookie mistakes that Trey Lance makes and I think you definitely have blinders on. Every criticism you have of Lance more than applies to Jimmy Garoppolo.

The only difference is Jimmy has a better completion percentage but that could also be because he throws short to intermediate passes a lot more than Lance does. Now if we go and analyze what Lance does better it would be:
-throwing the deep ball
-throwing outside the numbers
-extending plays with his feet
-throwing for touchdowns while escaping pressure (like that beautiful one in the Houston game)
-running for first downs and escaping pressure.

Bottom line. The benefits of Lance today far outweigh the benefits of Jimmy Garoppolo..

Strange that literally zero other teams wanted Jimmy if he's that capable. Even Mariota and Trubisky were more valued than Jimmy.

And before it's brought up, no team offered us two second rounds picks for Jimmy. The only two seconds that belong in this discussion is in reference to the amount of time it would take us to agree to trade him to any team willing to give us absolutely anything for him at this point.

He's injured, coming off surgery and has a high salary. All coming into play. It's not that he can't play or holds no value. He mostly wins regular season and playoffs. He has value.

As for offers they had or currently have you will never know for sure. It's possible the still get something for him. Or have or had an offer on the table.

San Diego, I can't believe you actually said Trey does not see coverage when that is the fatal flaw of Jimmy Garoppolo. You've got to use another example. If you want to use wild passes then you might want to address some of Jimmy's horrible wild passes. Jimmy still makes rookie mistakes that Trey Lance makes and I think you definitely have blinders on. Every criticism you have of Lance more than applies to Jimmy Garoppolo.

The only difference is Jimmy has a better completion percentage but that could also be because he throws short to intermediate passes a lot more than Lance does. Now if we go and analyze what Lance does better it would be:
-throwing the deep ball
-throwing outside the numbers
-extending plays with his feet
-throwing for touchdowns while escaping pressure (like that beautiful one in the Houston game)
-running for first downs and escaping pressure.

Bottom line. The benefits of Lance today far outweigh the benefits of Jimmy Garoppolo..

See, we needed one of the GM's to be San Diego, this way we would have traded him. 😂
Every possible scenario that could have went wrong did. I honestly can't believe what has went down in the last two weeks. We were thinking there would be a bidding war to now talks about just cutting him.

Maybe Jimmy not traded because Trey lance needs more time to learn...
Originally posted by Dsoto87:

Ok, I'm going to probably be the 1,000,000th guy to tell you this, so please try to stay with me. Trey isn't ready yet. The dude is young, didn't play much in college and has only played two NFL games. But guess what, If he doesn't play this year, he won't be any more ready next year. Same goes for the following year. The best way to get the dude ready is to play him. Also to surround him with as much talent as possible. He is in the best situation any quarterback can be in, the only thing lacking at this point is experience. I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but the only way to get experience is to play. I am blown away that people who love this game so much know so little about it.

You got to tank the season to do that. You can go to the Super Bowl with Jimmy G.

Tank the season? Congratulations, you've reached full fledged troll status.

This is SanDiego youre talking to. That was official loooong long ago.

I've never seen someone so desperate for attention, I feel bad for him.
Would you trade him to Seattle for 2 second round picks
Originally posted by turfdoggs49:
Would you trade him to Seattle for 2 second round picks

Absolutely
So who is even reasonably left? The panthers and Seahawks?
Share 49ersWebzone