There are 360 users in the forums

What will Jimmy's trade value be in the offseason?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What will Jimmy's trade value be in the offseason?

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
If he and his agent don't see another team where he has a chance to start and earn his full slary then he might consider it. He already knows the offense and wouldn't need to prove himself elsewhere.

I hope he moves on because after spending all those draft picks on Lance, they need to see if he's the guy. They wasted one year and he needs to see game action. It could easily take him 2 seasons to really learn the offense and feel comfortable in the NFL.
I for one don't want or expect the "offense he already knows" to be the offense installed for Trey Lance.
Now if Shanny keeps the same offense then JG could backup and Trey wouldn't necessarily be playing to his strengths.
But if the offense changes I doubt JG is the optimum backup. Is Sudfeld optimum? Quite a few of you all would know that better than I.
Keeping Jimmy is a disaster.

Supposing that Lance starts and you keep Jimmy as a backup. You got the afc west on the schedule. They clearly upgraded everywhere in this free agency and are a huge threat. Not to mention the nfc west which is a very difficult division. If they start the season poorly, does Kyle really want to hear from the "start Jimmy Garappolo" crowd?

This is the real reason why people say get rid of him. Its not about having a "strong quarterback room". It sounds nice on paper, but you can't have this cloud over the locker room. Especially since the players seem to 100% support Jimmy. You hear guys like Armstead gushing over him on the radio.

sounds like to me, they're going to keep Jimmy until the trade deadline because they're determined to win this trade at all costs. Its pure hubris.
[ Edited by Ensatsu on Mar 29, 2022 at 1:47 PM ]
It's sad but obviously $0 at this point. I read another article yesterday which claimed Lance understood the starting job was his.

Now Shanny has zero commitment to Trey? If he isn't ready after "Red Shirting" a year then it may have been a bad pick.

If all that is true, why did they guarantee Sudfeld 2m? I do NOT want to see Jimmy again under center. People say "He Wins!" But if Shanny can't coach Trey up to do what Jimmy did, (quick dump offs schemed for YAC) then is that a bad pick or bad coaching?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
If they did they would have traded for him already. I don't believe for one minute that the surgery is scaring teams off. They know full well he'll likely be ready by training camp. Other teams have eyes too. They clearly saw Jimmy's play like we did. I think they're seeing Jimmy's wins as more to do with Shanny's scheme than Jimmy's play. And, they're predicting him to be released at some point. So why would they spend anything when you can get him for free?

Agreed with all. I don't think GMs think he sucks, he's just poor value for a $27 million dollar QB.

That 27 million cap hit can be negotiated. I think the Rams were able to trad Goff for cap space, and possibly the same thing can be negotiated for Jimmy. Again, 49ers can just cut him to free up that 27 million, so the 49ers are operating (in my view) from a position of strength if they just want the cap space. If they want draft picks on top of that cap space, they may have to absorb some cap hit for Jimmy to get the draft picks as well as facilitate the trade. I think there is more than one team that has the cap space for Jimmy, and all it takes is for one team to want him.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
If they have to eat Jimmy being on the team for 2022, that shoulder surgery is the perfect excuse to sit Jimmy behind Trey. Let Jimmy play in the presseason to let other teams know his shoulder is physically good to go. But have Trey start because he has 'caught up' to knowing the offense enough to start over Jimmy. Keeping Jimmy on the bench healthy for potential trade partners.

Risking injury letting Jimmy play then his contract becomes guaranteed.

They give him a pay cut before that happens.

That has to be agreed upon by Jimmy and his agent. They aren't dumb they should know they will not ever have a 20+ million dollar contract on the table.

The only chance the 49ers get any value for Jimmy, and Jimmy gets a good contract is if he does play in pre-season. Until/unless he demonstrates he can throw well again, he isn't going to be worth anything more than he is now. Don Yee and Jimmy know all that.

Gotta let him play and if he gets hurt, he gets hurt. After all, Lance could play in pre-season and get hurt as well. Do we sit Lance because he may get hurt and be forced to keep Garoppolo?

My gut tells me as soon as he can throw, and demonstrate to a team that he can throw and pass his physicals, he's going to be traded. I don't think 49ers have to get to the point where he has to showcase his stuff in pre-season. He has enough playoff tape, he doesn't need a pre-season game to prove he can play in the NFL.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
If they have to eat Jimmy being on the team for 2022, that shoulder surgery is the perfect excuse to sit Jimmy behind Trey. Let Jimmy play in the presseason to let other teams know his shoulder is physically good to go. But have Trey start because he has 'caught up' to knowing the offense enough to start over Jimmy. Keeping Jimmy on the bench healthy for potential trade partners.

Risking injury letting Jimmy play then his contract becomes guaranteed.

They give him a pay cut before that happens.

That has to be agreed upon by Jimmy and his agent. They aren't dumb they should know they will not ever have a 20+ million dollar contract on the table.

The only chance the 49ers get any value for Jimmy, and Jimmy gets a good contract is if he does play in pre-season. Until/unless he demonstrates he can throw well again, he isn't going to be worth anything more than he is now. Don Yee and Jimmy know all that.

Gotta let him play and if he gets hurt, he gets hurt. After all, Lance could play in pre-season and get hurt as well. Do we sit Lance because he may get hurt and be forced to keep Garoppolo?

My gut tells me as soon as he can throw, and demonstrate to a team that he can throw and pass his physicals, he's going to be traded. I don't think 49ers have to get to the point where he has to showcase his stuff in pre-season. He has enough playoff tape, he doesn't need a pre-season game to prove he can play in the NFL.
there aren't any starting spots now and there won't be any later. Who's going to trade for jimmy to be a back up ?
Originally posted by Giedi:

I just don't see a team for him. The Panthers are now looking into bringing back Cam. And in late July and August what team is going to have $27 Million in cap space laying around? Saints just signed Dalton to a 1 year deal worth $6 Million. So Jimmy can prove to be 100% healthy but there is still the $27 Million he is due and he still needs a team who is interested. Those latter two is more of an issue than his health IMO. Atleast at that time of the year. I think the best chance to get any value for him is to give him like a 3 year extension but make it much lower than the $27 Million.Something like 3 years worth $30 Million. And take about $15 Million he is due this year and add it to those future years making the extension 3 years worth $45 Million. Now he would have trade value.But I don't think Jimmy would ever agree to that. Especially to be a backup until a trade happens.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Nick Foles on the trade block

Great more dominos
Not expecting anything on the horizon anytime soon. This thread will hit 2k pages soon enough before he is gone. Nothing we can do except argue with each other and wait lmao. My mind is fully on the draft now.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Not expecting anything on the horizon anytime soon. This thread will hit 2k pages soon enough before he is gone. Nothing we can do except argue with each other and wait lmao. My mind is fully on the draft now.

Maybe we can beat you guys if he leaves lol.

Originally posted by 49ersvsPackers:

Maybe we can beat you guys if he leaves lol.

As long as yall have Rodgers im confident we would beat you in the playoffs even if Shaun hill was starting
As long as yall have Rodgers im confident we would beat you in the playoffs even if Shaun hill was starting

Somehow we beat you in week 3.

That was dumb luck Ryans hadn't yet locked everything down on D. JG tossed the game winner with like 37 secs left. Someone hold me back.

I think we had 5 million PI calls that game. And all of them were legit lol. That's how bad we were then in our secondary.

Not to mention whatever this was.

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

That was dumb luck Ryans hadn't yet locked everything down on D. JG tossed the game winner with like 37 secs left. Someone hold me back.
JG also threw a pass towards our own EZ
Share 49ersWebzone