There are 269 users in the forums

What will Jimmy's trade value be in the offseason?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What will Jimmy's trade value be in the offseason?

Originally posted by 49ers808:
Exhibit 10,345

Looks like an audition for dancing with the stars
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by NotAFinga42:
Exhibit 10,346 for why nobody has offered anything for Jimmy.

Exhibit 10,345

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by Blake_Fever:
Just another reminder that SAM (trash can) DARNOLD was traded for a 2nd, 4th, and 6th.

Trade compensation will be in this range or better.

That is all.

This, people really think Jimmy would fetch trash are delusional when A this qb class is the worst in forever and B so many teams need qbs. We see it every year with no way player A will get back this much in a trade only to be shocked in the return

I don't think we were the delusional ones…..
They are right. You don't just give away players to give away players. You also don't give away a good QB just because you have another QB on the roster. They are correct.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
They are right. You don't just give away players to give away players. You also don't give away a good QB just because you have another QB on the roster. They are correct.

But nobody wants Jimmy. Why do they think some team is going to eventually trade for him? Dummies...
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
But nobody wants Jimmy. Why do they think some team is going to eventually trade for him? Dummies...

He makes a dent in our cap if he is let go. It's pretty much the only reason he is still here. Injuries can change things of course, but once he can no longer make a dent in our cap for letting him go, he is gone.

At this point the trade stuff is wasted discussion.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by dj43:
The only chance the 49ers get any value for Jimmy, and Jimmy gets a good contract is if he does play in pre-season. Until/unless he demonstrates he can throw well again, he isn't going to be worth anything more than he is now. Don Yee and Jimmy know all that.

Gotta let him play and if he gets hurt, he gets hurt. After all, Lance could play in pre-season and get hurt as well. Do we sit Lance because he may get hurt and be forced to keep Garoppolo?

What do you think happened to his shoulder? It was a small tear in his capsule...it wasn't some Drew Brees dislocated right shoulder with a 360-degree tear of his labrum and a 50-percent tear of his rotator cuff.

Jimmy's shoulder is gonna be just fine. Multiple shoulder surgeons have stated it.

He's a 8 yr vet and doesn't have to play in the pre-season to prove anything...it's not like he's gonna come out of the surgery like rookie of the year and be able to throw like Mahomes either lol.

If he get's hurt you've tied more cash into Jimmy for no good reason.

You're last sentence doesn't hold water in the debate. SF isn't trying to get rid of Lance and Lance's deal is GTD. Jimmy's is not.

It doesn't matter what the doctors said after the surgery, until he proves he can throw, there is not going to be a deal.

My last sentence above deals with the reality that we will need a solid QB if Lance gets hurt in PS. Remember, he has been hurt once already in a very limited amount of playing time.

The bottom line for me is that I see no reason to stress over keeping JG until he proves he can throw again.
Originally posted by random49er:
He makes a dent in our cap if he is let go. It's pretty much the only reason he is still here. Injuries can change things of course, but once he can no longer make a dent in our cap for letting him go, he is gone.

Gotta be a WZ record. A 920 page unanswered question
Originally posted by random49er:

That makes a lot more sense than keeping Jimmy just to not give him up for free, at the expense of the team, and media circus it would bring.
While getting a pick or 2 for Jimmy would've been preferable, I'm fine with keeping Jimmy this year. Especially since Sudfeld is the only other option.

Look, this team has had horrible injury luck. QB is the worst position possible to take an injury hit, so FINALLY having a dependable back up is great.

I don't care about the money savings. Their FA signings have strengthened this team and there's still the draft and late FA/roster cut downs.

there's NOTHING preventing them from extending Deebo and Bosa now—just make it all new money that hits in 2023 and 2024, respectively.

at this point, wouldn't it make sense for both Jimmy and the 9ers for him to just take a pay-cut, new deal: 1 year, $10m to be the back-up for a season?

then let him sign with whoever he wants next off-season, and collect a 3rd Rd comp in '24

then we could trade Sudfeld lol
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
If they have to eat Jimmy being on the team for 2022, that shoulder surgery is the perfect excuse to sit Jimmy behind Trey. Let Jimmy play in the presseason to let other teams know his shoulder is physically good to go. But have Trey start because he has 'caught up' to knowing the offense enough to start over Jimmy. Keeping Jimmy on the bench healthy for potential trade partners.

Risking injury letting Jimmy play then his contract becomes guaranteed.

They give him a pay cut before that happens.

That has to be agreed upon by Jimmy and his agent. They aren't dumb they should know they will not ever have a 20+ million dollar contract on the table.

The only chance the 49ers get any value for Jimmy, and Jimmy gets a good contract is if he does play in pre-season. Until/unless he demonstrates he can throw well again, he isn't going to be worth anything more than he is now. Don Yee and Jimmy know all that.

Gotta let him play and if he gets hurt, he gets hurt. After all, Lance could play in pre-season and get hurt as well. Do we sit Lance because he may get hurt and be forced to keep Garoppolo?

My gut tells me as soon as he can throw, and demonstrate to a team that he can throw and pass his physicals, he's going to be traded. I don't think 49ers have to get to the point where he has to showcase his stuff in pre-season. He has enough playoff tape, he doesn't need a pre-season game to prove he can play in the NFL.
there aren't any starting spots now and there won't be any later. Who's going to trade for jimmy to be a back up ?

Browns?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JTB1974:
My gut tells me as soon as he can throw, and demonstrate to a team that he can throw and pass his physicals, he's going to be traded. I don't think 49ers have to get to the point where he has to showcase his stuff in pre-season. He has enough playoff tape, he doesn't need a pre-season game to prove he can play in the NFL.

I just don't see a team for him. The Panthers are now looking into bringing back Cam. And in late July and August what team is going to have $27 Million in cap space laying around? Saints just signed Dalton to a 1 year deal worth $6 Million. So Jimmy can prove to be 100% healthy but there is still the $27 Million he is due and he still needs a team who is interested. Those latter two is more of an issue than his health IMO. Atleast at that time of the year. I think the best chance to get any value for him is to give him like a 3 year extension but make it much lower than the $27 Million.Something like 3 years worth $30 Million. And take about $15 Million he is due this year and add it to those future years making the extension 3 years worth $45 Million. Now he would have trade value.But I don't think Jimmy would ever agree to that. Especially to be a backup until a trade happens.

Well, take 27 divide by 3 and you get 9 million. Conceivably, a team with a cap space of 9 million can sign him, if they are willing to trade for him and value him at 9 million per year for three years. In other words, all he needs is a team that thinks he's a viable starting QB. Why not the Panthers? Why not the Browns? Again, a team has to find value in him to sign him. Right now, due to his injury, he's not worth much, but again, he will be healthy soon, and it's at that point in time, that teams will start getting interested him. That's what's holding up any trades, that darn shoulder operation of his.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
If they have to eat Jimmy being on the team for 2022, that shoulder surgery is the perfect excuse to sit Jimmy behind Trey. Let Jimmy play in the presseason to let other teams know his shoulder is physically good to go. But have Trey start because he has 'caught up' to knowing the offense enough to start over Jimmy. Keeping Jimmy on the bench healthy for potential trade partners.

Risking injury letting Jimmy play then his contract becomes guaranteed.

They give him a pay cut before that happens.

That has to be agreed upon by Jimmy and his agent. They aren't dumb they should know they will not ever have a 20+ million dollar contract on the table.

there aren't any starting spots now and there won't be any later. Who's going to trade for jimmy to be a back up ?

Browns?
it's not vacant now and will they wait 4 months for jimmy ? Doubt it
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

He would be on another roster right now if not for the injury, surgery and recovery.
Share 49ersWebzone