There are 283 users in the forums

What will Jimmy's trade value be in the offseason?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What will Jimmy's trade value be in the offseason?

Originally posted by DoseOfBosa:
at this point, wouldn't it make sense for both Jimmy and the 9ers for him to just take a pay-cut, new deal: 1 year, $10m to be the back-up for a season?

then let him sign with whoever he wants next off-season, and collect a 3rd Rd comp in '24

then we could trade Sudfeld lol

No, that doesn't make sense for either side. And WAY too much to pay a backup.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Originally posted by Giedi:
My gut tells me as soon as he can throw, and demonstrate to a team that he can throw and pass his physicals, he's going to be traded. I don't think 49ers have to get to the point where he has to showcase his stuff in pre-season. He has enough playoff tape, he doesn't need a pre-season game to prove he can play in the NFL.

I just don't see a team for him. The Panthers are now looking into bringing back Cam. And in late July and August what team is going to have $27 Million in cap space laying around? Saints just signed Dalton to a 1 year deal worth $6 Million. So Jimmy can prove to be 100% healthy but there is still the $27 Million he is due and he still needs a team who is interested. Those latter two is more of an issue than his health IMO. Atleast at that time of the year. I think the best chance to get any value for him is to give him like a 3 year extension but make it much lower than the $27 Million.Something like 3 years worth $30 Million. And take about $15 Million he is due this year and add it to those future years making the extension 3 years worth $45 Million. Now he would have trade value.But I don't think Jimmy would ever agree to that. Especially to be a backup until a trade happens.

Well, take 27 divide by 3 and you get 9 million. Conceivably, a team with a cap space of 9 million can sign him, if they are willing to trade for him and value him at 9 million per year for three years. In other words, all he needs is a team that thinks he's a viable starting QB. Why not the Panthers? Why not the Browns? Again, a team has to find value in him to sign him. Right now, due to his injury, he's not worth much, but again, he will be healthy soon, and it's at that point in time, that teams will start getting interested him. That's what's holding up any trades, that darn shoulder operation of his.

As of now JG has no starting job available this year and will likely have to "prove it" next year

Teams have used most of their cap space so his potential earnings are looking bad.

i can imagine a scenario where it would make sense for JG to do a 2 year deal to guarantee his current money by splitting it over 2 years but making it guaranteed.

10 mil or less for this year and then set up the remaining guaranteed money as the 1st calendar day again to force an early trade next year and then JG can renegotiate a long term deal with his new team.
Panthers are in desperation right now. They got a #6 pick they don't know what to do with and don't draft again until late in the 4th. They got a QB they don't trust at all who has the lowest football IQ in the league and is guaranteed $18 Million. Let's help them solve all those problems. We will take Darnold and that horrible contract, We will give them their QB, and added draft capital. All they have to do is give us their #6 pick they don't know what to do with anyways. With our 2nd and both of our 3rd's they could get 3 decent players instead if drafting a bust at #6.

Then for us we can just trade back a couple of times and get all those picks back that are higher than the ones we traded. And we gain about $9 Million in cap space. A win-win for both teams. Panthers are looking to bring in a washed up Cam Newton, That's how desperate they are.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
They are right. You don't just give away players to give away players. You also don't give away a good QB just because you have another QB on the roster. They are correct.

But nobody wants Jimmy. Why do they think some team is going to eventually trade for him? Dummies...

He would be on another roster right now if not for the injury, surgery and recovery.

Weren't you the one who said he isn't on another team because Trey is not ready?
Originally posted by 49ers808:
They are right. You don't just give away players to give away players. You also don't give away a good QB just because you have another QB on the roster. They are correct.

But nobody wants Jimmy. Why do they think some team is going to eventually trade for him? Dummies...

He would be on another roster right now if not for the injury, surgery and recovery.

Weren't you the one who said he isn't on another team because Trey is not ready?

Trey Lance isn't ready. But that's a separate issue.

And how do you know that? And being a Jimmy fan doesn't count as a reason.

Joe Montana said so.
Originally posted by 49ers808:

Jimmy sucks. But that's a separate issue.

Joe Montana said so.

Joe Montana saying something and you knowing something are 2 completely different things.
Originally posted by random49er:

Joe Montana said so.

Joe Montana saying something and you knowing something are 2 completely different things.

I only wear Sketchers cause Joe Montana says they are the most comfortable shoe.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Blake_Fever:
While getting a pick or 2 for Jimmy would've been preferable, I'm fine with keeping Jimmy this year. Especially since Sudfeld is the only other option.

Look, this team has had horrible injury luck. QB is the worst position possible to take an injury hit, so FINALLY having a dependable back up is great.

I don't care about the money savings. Their FA signings have strengthened this team and there's still the draft and late FA/roster cut downs.

there's NOTHING preventing them from extending Deebo and Bosa now—just make it all new money that hits in 2023 and 2024, respectively.

But that's another reason I call their bluff on keeping Jimmy. They paid $2 mil guaranteed to Sudfeld, you don't pay that kind of money to a third string QB. Jimmy will most likely be on another team and my guess is it will be on the second day of the draft.
Originally posted by random49er:

Joe Montana said so.

We are back to Joe Montana doesn't know NFL, football and the QB position. It's a strange hill to die on.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Blake_Fever:
While getting a pick or 2 for Jimmy would've been preferable, I'm fine with keeping Jimmy this year. Especially since Sudfeld is the only other option.

Look, this team has had horrible injury luck. QB is the worst position possible to take an injury hit, so FINALLY having a dependable back up is great.

I don't care about the money savings. Their FA signings have strengthened this team and there's still the draft and late FA/roster cut downs.

there's NOTHING preventing them from extending Deebo and Bosa now—just make it all new money that hits in 2023 and 2024, respectively.

But that's another reason I call their bluff on keeping Jimmy. They paid $2 mil guaranteed to Sudfeld, you don't pay that kind of money to a third string QB. Jimmy will most likely be on another team and my guess is it will be on the second day of the draft.

The Saints just signed Andy Dalton to a 1 year $3m deal (would need to hit incentives to get the full $3m) to back up Winston.

So you sir are correct.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Nick Foles on the trade block

Jesus another f**king domino that needs to fall.

Joe Montana said so.

Steve young, agrees.

"Now Trey Lance, we don't know, and Trey doesn't know. If Trey was ready, Trey would have played," said Young. "Trey needs to get ready this offseason. This needs to be the biggest boot camp ever in history, to get him ready to be expansive. I told you when I said we'd have to watch him go from two to 10, this Fall is not going to go from 6-10, it's going to be a process, it's going to be a patient process, but we cannot wait for that. We've got to get him ready, and we've got six months to do it."

Lance has been working with some QB gurus. So hopefully, once the season starts, he'll be more ready than he was last year.
Share 49ersWebzone