There are 227 users in the forums

What will Jimmy's trade value be in the offseason?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What will Jimmy's trade value be in the offseason?

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Trey Lance isn't ready. But that's a separate issue.

And how do you know that? And being a Jimmy fan doesn't count as a reason.

Joe Montana said so.

Joe Montana saying something and you knowing something are 2 completely different things.

We are back to Joe Montana doesn't know NFL, football and the QB position. It's a strange hill to die on.

We were discussing what you know, not whether or not Joe Montana knows NFL, football and the QB position.

Joe Montana's opinion (because that's what it is) doesn't = you being able to factually foretell the future.

Logic just doesn't work that way,....and throwing big names at horribly faulty logic doesn't make it any better.

Wow.

it's true and if Joe said he was ready we wouldn't hear his name coming out of your month for the past couple months. You'd try to find some other former player or makeup something else.

Also if Trey goes out and plays better football then Jimmy this yr, then what? Does that mean Joe clearly didn't know or probably care about the whole situation? Will you say Joe was wrong or find some weird way to move the goalposts about something you've used as the cornerstone of your "he's not ready" debate? Which is weak at best to begin with.

If Trey plays well this year Joe Montana was never a good football player. /s

At least not a good talent evaluator.
Guess we can change the name of this thread now that we know his offseason trade value = 💩

Question now becomes whether he'll have any value next season, or if he's just released.
Originally posted by NotAFinga42:
Guess we can change the name of this thread now that we know his offseason trade value = 💩

Question now becomes whether he'll have any value next season, or if he's just released.

Who cares his value next off season?
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:

He has a huge cheering section here, FWIW.
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:

He has a huge cheering section here, FWIW.

You're right. I was thinking value to 49ers. Forgot he actually has fans. Lol
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
At least not a good talent evaluator.

he was a terrible terrible in studio tv analyst guy
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
The boys KS and JL operating from a position of strength and on the same page

KS - "That's why we looked into trading Jimmy, because we obviously believe that Trey can be a starter and we're ready to do that," Shanahan said. "But if we can't upgrade our team in another way, we're not just going to get rid of a good quarterback because we have other quarterbacks on the roster. Quarterbacks are really hard to come by. Some teams don't have any at all, and the fact that we have three that we're happy with, that is a good thing.

"We brought Trey here to be that eventually, and I think that will be sooner than later, but when Jimmy gets his surgery and we can't upgrade our team by getting some good picks until people feel good about that [surgery], I'm all right with that. We're not just getting rid of him to get rid of him. Jimmy is a good player that we all really like as a person and as a teammate, and we're going to wait to see whatever helps the Niners the most."

Love to see it.

My favorite part is how both say we are not going to get rid of a good quarterback. Quarterbacks are really hard to come by. Some teams don't have any at all.

Coach, you just nailed it.

The problem is, even if they're not lying, that they don't want to cut him, the rest of the league probably doesn't believe it. They know we have to extend Deebo and Bosa.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by Giedi:
I can see a draft day trade, where Jimmy is traded for a pick and a player. Conversely, they can trade him for a conditional pick - the condition being his rehab and ability to play QB. He won't be throwing until after the draft, so they can structure a deal where the 49ers would get a conditional first round if Jimmy is 100% by training camp (or something like that) and if not, the 49ers get a really low pick, possibly a day three pick even if Jimmy takes longer to heal. Personally, I'd give it a 50%/50% chance he's traded around draft day, and more of a 75%/25% traded by the time he's able to throw sometime in (I think) July.

Don't hold you breath. Teams have no reason at all to spend anything for a player they predict to be released at some point.

false...there is a risk you dont get JG if you wait until he is cut

a trade means you guarantee you control his rights

the point of contention is how much do other teams value obtaining the rights to JG

I don't see a team trading for that $25M.

That's too bad. It comes with a 70% winning percentage. Guess GMs don't want to win.

Nah, teams just have the uncanny ability to recognize that winning percentage is a team statistic.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
The boys KS and JL operating from a position of strength and on the same page

KS - "That's why we looked into trading Jimmy, because we obviously believe that Trey can be a starter and we're ready to do that," Shanahan said. "But if we can't upgrade our team in another way, we're not just going to get rid of a good quarterback because we have other quarterbacks on the roster. Quarterbacks are really hard to come by. Some teams don't have any at all, and the fact that we have three that we're happy with, that is a good thing.

"We brought Trey here to be that eventually, and I think that will be sooner than later, but when Jimmy gets his surgery and we can't upgrade our team by getting some good picks until people feel good about that [surgery], I'm all right with that. We're not just getting rid of him to get rid of him. Jimmy is a good player that we all really like as a person and as a teammate, and we're going to wait to see whatever helps the Niners the most."

Love to see it.

My favorite part is how both say we are not going to get rid of a good quarterback. Quarterbacks are really hard to come by. Some teams don't have any at all.

Coach, you just nailed it.

The problem is, even if they're not lying, that they don't want to cut him, the rest of the league probably doesn't believe it. They know we have to extend Deebo and Bosa.

and MM
If they did they would have traded for him already. I don't believe for one minute that the surgery is scaring teams off. They know full well he'll likely be ready by training camp. Other teams have eyes too. They clearly saw Jimmy's play like we did. I think they're seeing Jimmy's wins as more to do with Shanny's scheme than Jimmy's play. And, they're predicting him to be released at some point. So why would they spend anything when you can get him for free?

Agreed with all. I don't think GMs think he sucks, he's just poor value for a $27 million dollar QB.

He won't get released based on logic (pros and cons)

Pros of release

Cap space (we get this anyway in about 10 months when his deal expires)

Cons of release

QB room is weaker (less push for TL to earn the job)
Less protection from TL injury (which somehow he was injured repeatedly last year without much play time)
No possibility of compensation be it trade materializing or otherwise (comp pick)
No control over JG destination; he could sign with SEA tomorrow and start against us 2x (haters like to get cute and put this as a "pro" yet even they know he's way better than D. Lock)

You forgot the tearing the locker room asunder part.

If they did they would have traded for him already. I don't believe for one minute that the surgery is scaring teams off. They know full well he'll likely be ready by training camp. Other teams have eyes too. They clearly saw Jimmy's play like we did. I think they're seeing Jimmy's wins as more to do with Shanny's scheme than Jimmy's play. And, they're predicting him to be released at some point. So why would they spend anything when you can get him for free?

Agreed with all. I don't think GMs think he sucks, he's just poor value for a $27 million dollar QB.

Pros of release

Cons of release

Less protection from TL injury (which somehow he was injured repeatedly last year without much play time)
No possibility of compensation be it trade materializing or otherwise (comp pick)
No control over JG destination; he could sign with SEA tomorrow and start against us 2x (haters like to get cute and put this as a "pro" yet even they know he's way better than D. Lock)

Won't happen these guys are pros that JL has assembled. Real team first guys.
Originally posted by BamaNiner:
Listen to me here guys, if the FO plans on Trey starting, there is 0% chance they go into the season with JG on the roster. They just can't. You'd have a mutiny in the locker room and the truth is JG is better than Lance right now. Bum arm and everything

I doubt it.

Pros of release

Cons of release

Didn't appear that way last year. Aiyuk certainly wasn't on the gobble Jimmy's knob team.

But either way, doesn't cap space roll over?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BamaNiner:
Listen to me here guys, if the FO plans on Trey starting, there is 0% chance they go into the season with JG on the roster. They just can't. You'd have a mutiny in the locker room and the truth is JG is better than Lance right now. Bum arm and everything

I doubt it.

Really doubt it.

Pros of release

Cons of release

Didn't appear that way last year. Aiyuk certainly wasn't on the gobble Jimmy's knob team.

But either way, doesn't cap space roll over?

Not sure what you're talking about but we were the epitome of class last year and professionalism. I keep hearing ppl talking about cap rolling over which is just beyond reason imo.
Share 49ersWebzone