There are 204 users in the forums

What will Jimmy's trade value be in the offseason?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What will Jimmy's trade value be in the offseason?

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Trey Lance isn't ready. But that's a separate issue.

And how do you know that? And being a Jimmy fan doesn't count as a reason.

Joe Montana said so.

Joe Montana saying something and you knowing something are 2 completely different things.

We are back to Joe Montana doesn't know NFL, football and the QB position. It's a strange hill to die on.

You don't understand the difference between knowing the game of football and knowing a player. To know the game of football, you have to have played it and lived in it. To know a player, you have to have watched the majority of his reps, which is completely impossible in Trey's case if you aren't watching him in practice.
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Mar 30, 2022 at 11:08 AM ]
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

Joe Montana said so.

Steve young, agrees.

"Now Trey Lance, we don't know, and Trey doesn't know. If Trey was ready, Trey would have played," said Young. "Trey needs to get ready this offseason. This needs to be the biggest boot camp ever in history, to get him ready to be expansive. I told you when I said we'd have to watch him go from two to 10, this Fall is not going to go from 6-10, it's going to be a process, it's going to be a patient process, but we cannot wait for that. We've got to get him ready, and we've got six months to do it."

Lance has been working with some QB gurus. So hopefully, once the season starts, he'll be more ready than he was last year.

All this means is that during the 2021 off-season, Jimmy Garoppolo was more ready than Trey was. That doesn't mean Trey isn't ready now, or won't be after camp. That just means in his first off-season, after not being given many first team reps at all, he wasn't quite good enough to unseat a top 15-18 NFL QB. Few rookies would be.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
If they did they would have traded for him already. I don't believe for one minute that the surgery is scaring teams off. They know full well he'll likely be ready by training camp. Other teams have eyes too. They clearly saw Jimmy's play like we did. I think they're seeing Jimmy's wins as more to do with Shanny's scheme than Jimmy's play. And, they're predicting him to be released at some point. So why would they spend anything when you can get him for free?

Agreed with all. I don't think GMs think he sucks, he's just poor value for a $27 million dollar QB.

He won't get released based on logic (pros and cons)

Pros of release

Cap space (we get this anyway in about 10 months when his deal expires)

Cons of release

QB room is weaker (less push for TL to earn the job)
Less protection from TL injury (which somehow he was injured repeatedly last year without much play time)
No possibility of compensation be it trade materializing or otherwise (comp pick)
No control over JG destination; he could sign with SEA tomorrow and start against us 2x (haters like to get cute and put this as a "pro" yet even they know he's way better than D. Lock)

You forgot the tearing the locker room asunder part.

Won't happen these guys are pros that JL has assembled. Real team first guys.

Didn't appear that way last year. Aiyuk certainly wasn't on the gobble Jimmy's knob team.

But either way, doesn't cap space roll over?

Not sure what you're talking about but we were the epitome of class last year and professionalism. I keep hearing ppl talking about cap rolling over which is just beyond reason imo.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/02/business-of-football-understanding-the-salary-cap-dead-money

https://bigboardscouting.com/qa/quick-answer-can-nfl-teams-carry-over-cap-space.html#title-9

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/02/browns-lead-nfl-in-salary-cap-carryover
If they did they would have traded for him already. I don't believe for one minute that the surgery is scaring teams off. They know full well he'll likely be ready by training camp. Other teams have eyes too. They clearly saw Jimmy's play like we did. I think they're seeing Jimmy's wins as more to do with Shanny's scheme than Jimmy's play. And, they're predicting him to be released at some point. So why would they spend anything when you can get him for free?

Agreed with all. I don't think GMs think he sucks, he's just poor value for a $27 million dollar QB.

Pros of release

Cons of release

Less protection from TL injury (which somehow he was injured repeatedly last year without much play time)
No possibility of compensation be it trade materializing or otherwise (comp pick)
No control over JG destination; he could sign with SEA tomorrow and start against us 2x (haters like to get cute and put this as a "pro" yet even they know he's way better than D. Lock)

Didn't appear that way last year. Aiyuk certainly wasn't on the gobble Jimmy's knob team.

Not sure what you're talking about but we were the epitome of class last year and professionalism. I keep hearing ppl talking about cap rolling over which is just beyond reason imo.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/02/business-of-football-understanding-the-salary-cap-dead-money

https://bigboardscouting.com/qa/quick-answer-can-nfl-teams-carry-over-cap-space.html#title-9

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/02/browns-lead-nfl-in-salary-cap-carryover

I understand rollover is a thing. Not sure how it benefits us in any way. Why be cheap in 2022 and spend in 2023?
I understand rollover is a thing. Not sure how it benefits us in any way. Why be cheap in 2022 and spend in 2023?

Jimmy is in the last year of his contract and we have already drafted his replacement - at a position where only 1 can play at a time. We'd be better off signing Bosa and Deebo with that money to keep them instead of paying a guy who is not in our long term plans.

It's quite simple.
Originally posted by 4ML:

Jimmy is in the last year of his contract and we have already drafted his replacement - at a position where only 1 can play at a time. We'd be better off signing Bosa and Deebo with that money to keep them instead of paying a guy who is not in our long term plans.

It's quite simple.

2023 we will also have a lot more money. Estimated at around 40 mil and that's with Bosa's and Deebo's contract. It will also be Trey's 2nd year starting (assuming he's gonna be the starter this year) which is more highly likely that's when we can win a SB if he's the real deal. That's the year to go after some solid vets.

It's quite simple.

Exactly. And we would do the extensions in 2022 and not in 2023. So the rollover doesn't even come into play.

Pros of release

Cons of release

Because when 2023 rolls around Trey will have completed another year and will presumably about to hit the prime of his career.

It's quite simple.

Exactly. And we would do the extensions in 2022 and not in 2023. So the rollover doesn't even come into play.

Perhaps. Perhaps we merely negotiate all year and don't get anything done until 2023.

Pros of release

Cons of release

Because when 2023 rolls around Trey will have completed another year and will presumably about to hit the prime of his career.

You haven't articulated any actual strategy involving rollover. You simply put out there that it's a thing. Again I don't see it kicking in. Once we move on from JG and extend Deebo / Bosa there won't be anything serious to roll over.

It's quite simple.

Perhaps. Perhaps we merely negotiate all year and don't get anything done until 2023.

The strategy from this if I read between the lines is cut JG, fail to re-sign both Deebo and Bosa this offseason, don't sign anyone in fact with the JG dollars, roll a big amount over. That's a terrible strat imo.
You haven't articulated any actual strategy involving rollover. You simply put out there that it's a thing. Again I don't see it kicking in. Once we move on from JG and extend Deebo / Bosa there won't be anything serious to roll over.

Yes there will. Deebo and Bosa's cap hits aren't going to be much higher this yr if extended...go look at Kittle and Warner's deal. People need to understand the difference between and extension and signing a FA.
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:

Joe Montana said so.

Steve young, agrees.

"Now Trey Lance, we don't know, and Trey doesn't know. If Trey was ready, Trey would have played," said Young. "Trey needs to get ready this offseason. This needs to be the biggest boot camp ever in history, to get him ready to be expansive. I told you when I said we'd have to watch him go from two to 10, this Fall is not going to go from 6-10, it's going to be a process, it's going to be a patient process, but we cannot wait for that. We've got to get him ready, and we've got six months to do it."

Lance has been working with some QB gurus. So hopefully, once the season starts, he'll be more ready than he was last year.

All this means is that during the 2021 off-season, Jimmy Garoppolo was more ready than Trey was. That doesn't mean Trey isn't ready now, or won't be after camp. That just means in his first off-season, after not being given many first team reps at all, he wasn't quite good enough to unseat a top 15-18 NFL QB. Few rookies would be.

Actually, Young was referring to this off season and season.

No biggie though. As Young mentions, Lance has all off season to get more ready than he was last year.

Pros of release

Cons of release

Go look at Kittles contract or Warner's to understand better how guys coming off or still on their rookie contracts are extended and their cap hit.

The first two years is gonna be a low cap hit. Bosa will be close to 10 mil for the first 2 years, and Deebo even lower since he was a 2nd round and makes learn money on his rookie contract. About 15 mil, possibly even more will be able to rollover. And that already is enough for one very solid player.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Yes there will. Deebo and Bosa's cap hits aren't going to be much higher this yr if extended...go look at Kittle and Warner's deal. People need to understand the difference between and extension and signing a FA.

Share 49ersWebzone