There are 736 users in the forums

What will Jimmy's trade value be in the offseason?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What will Jimmy's trade value be in the offseason?

Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
The way I see it there are three different ponts where we should check in for movement in regards to the Jimmy situation. The first is the draft. If there is a team that doesn't address the position in a way that they find satisfactory, maybe they circle back around to Jimmy. The second is when he is medically cleared in late June or early July. Finally would be the beginning of training camp. If I had to guess the most likely would be somewhere between points two and three. If he is still here by training camp I would expect them to cut him. I know the team has said otherwise, but as NotAFinga42 mentioned at the top of this page I see that as trying to generate a market to get some sort of return. The only thing we can do now is wait, so I am going to turn my focus on the draft for the next four weeks and then just see what happens after that.

Agreed. I also have to fully entertain keeping him. SF already got him under the cap, free agency is over and their draft class will be ultra cheap because it starts at pick 61.

Kyle genuinely wants the strongest QB room possible. Jed himself envisioned two years of Trey sitting. The surgery and recovery time gives Kyle an entire off season of uninterrupted focus on getting Trey ready to be a starter regardless. They keep Garoppolo on the roster until in-season when he's 100% healthy and a starting QB goes down on a playoff caliber team who can justify the trade much easier.

It also wouldn't surprise me if they ended up keeping him as a backup all year either. Seriously.

That kind of hubris and/or chasing a sunk cost is a bad look. We've already likely suffered some opportunity cost from this, and will continue. There's a chance this could pay off, with someone giving us some good draft capital if their QB goes down, but it's such a risk.

It's certainly not ideal. I just have to accept it that this is how our FO might operate.
Originally posted by RackofRibs49:
"But I still think Jimmy G is better than a lot of guys out here in the league, though. I can't say what he's going to do, but he's a winner. He's been to the NFC Championship twice. He's been to the Super Bowl. You look at his record when he was with the 49ers—he's a winner. Every time he's on the field, they have success."

Gore

Everyone around him says it about Jimmy except for our bottom of the barrell spoiled fanbase.

A minor shoulder injury would not keep teams from coming to get him if the rest of the league really thought that.
An 8th round pick.
Originally posted by TD49ers:
An 8th round pick.

In the CFL draft
It's pretty apparent they are waiting until he clears his physical to either cut him or trade him for a Darnold type backup.
Originally posted by Second2Nunley:
It's pretty apparent they are waiting until he clears his physical to either cut him or trade him for a Darnold type backup.

The signing of Griese, and the 2 million guaranteed they gave Sudfeld, almost suggests they wanted him for the backup.
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Apr 3, 2022 at 6:05 PM ]
Agreed. I also have to fully entertain keeping him.

NC supports keeping a full-fledged, blue blooded, pure pocket passer on the team, cap mess or not. Color me shocked.
It's certainly not ideal. I just have to accept it that this is how our FO might operate.

Would love to see this same energy brought to the OL and (mostly-needless) Ongoing-Injury threads.
[ Edited by random49er on Apr 3, 2022 at 6:12 PM ]

The signing of Griese, and the 2 million guaranteed they gave Sudfeld, almost suggests they wanted him for the backup.

So if Trey goes down we're going to bet our entire season on a career practice squad guy that has thrown 14 passes @45% since 2017?

I'd prefer Jimmy. Just as I've made the case the FO does as well.
[ Edited by RackofRibs49 on Apr 4, 2022 at 5:25 AM ]

So if Trey goes down we're going to bet our entire season on a career practice squad guy that has thrown 14 passes @45% since 2017?

Welcome to literally the whole rest of the NFL. Nobody has a second starter on the bench unless it is a drafted kid they are hoping turns into one, like we were last year. It is the old Hockey Goal Tender adage. If you have two starters, you don't have one.

Originally posted by PhillyNiner:

Welcome to literally the whole rest of the NFL. Nobody has a second starter on the bench unless it is a drafted kid they are hoping turns into one, like we were last year. It is the old Hockey Goal Tender adage. If you have two starters, you don't have one.

Good post. Nothing wrong with teaching people about basic football stuff. We all had to learn at one point.

What other QB room has a total of 2 starts, 108 total pass attempts?
[ Edited by RackofRibs49 on Apr 4, 2022 at 6:12 AM ]
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Apr 4, 2022 at 6:21 AM ]
Originally posted by TheGore49er:

Good post. Nothing wrong with teaching people about basic football stuff. We all had to learn at one point.

A lot of people never learned the basics lol

Share 49ersWebzone