There are 230 users in the forums

What will Jimmy's trade value be in the offseason?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What will Jimmy's trade value be in the offseason?

Originally posted by YACBros85:
So you would take draft picks over a guy that you think gives you the best chance to win a super bowl? Hmmm. Interesting. I thought the goal of the NFL was to win super bowls. Had no idea the end goal was to accumulate more draft picks.

I never presented the idea that the coaches know NOW which QB of the two would be the best to win next season. As I said to you in the other thread I believe they want to see Trey take the steps necessary to play him comfortably. That is the ideal situation. My argument is that there is a hypothetical trade worth taking where you can comfortably gamble on Trey's development over the offseason and acquire a different, cheaper, insurance plan in case he hasn't taken the necessary steps. 2 2nd round picks? Awesome. Ship Jimmy out and go bring in Tyrod or Mariota (I know they're now taken). Don't get a good offer, or the other potential insurance players become unavailable, you better take a look at Trey first because Jimmy (as s**t as he is) can at least execute your offense to a level that put this team full of great players in a position to win the biggest games.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Apr 4, 2022 at 7:13 PM ]
Trey will have improved enough by August to show Kyle that he absolutely for sure ISNT a lock to blow it all. And, Jimmy's shoulder injury will conveniently need a little longer to heal than the doctors anticipated. So Trey will start week 1. And if he's still starting by week four then we'll all know for sure that he's ready.

Why all the arguments? /thread.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Trey will have improved enough by August to show Kyle that he absolutely for sure ISNT a lock to blow it all. And, Jimmy's shoulder injury will conveniently need a little longer to heal than the doctors anticipated. So Trey will start week 1. And if he's still starting by week four then we'll all know for sure that he's ready.

Why all the arguments? /thread.

Every 49ers fan *wants this to happen*. Leave no doubt.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Apr 4, 2022 at 7:20 PM ]
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
What this analysis fails to account for is the teams position now (just like last year). If the team was not set up to go on a deep run and contend for a possible Super Bowl appearance and win, this is a no brainer. You move on from Jimmy and you hand it over to Trey and let him take his lumps. The issue is the team is set up to compete for the ultimate prize, and you have to weigh how much of Trey's individual growth is going to cost the team in pursuit of that goal.

So if you shopped Jimmy and didn't get the offer you were looking for, it would be prudent to hang onto him and get a look at Lance after the offseason, before you make a final decision on Jimmy's status. If Trey comes back and hasn't taken the steps and is a player the coaches can't comfortably trust guiding a potential Super Bowl team, you can play a guy you obviously don't love but can count on to be functional. Would this be good for Trey's development? Maybe not. But his development is secondary to winning games and I promise you the coaches and players feel this way.
Idk, they weren't set up for a deep run last yr, they just got a favorable matchup in the Cowboys (they lose to Rams/Bucs) & got a miracle punt block TD vs the Pack. They were also lucky to be in the playoffs. Vs CIN, #30 dropped an easy pick 6 to win the game. Vs CHI, Deebo saved the season by taking a WR screen pass for 83 yards, and Vs PHI, Tartt & Lenoir stopped Quez Watkins after 91 yards (& the subsequent goal line stand prevents pts).

The reality is they were 3rd in the division and barely made the playoffs... And now they could be going w/ inexperienced players at S, Nickel, LG, RT, and possibly C if Mack pulls a Staley. They'll be facing the AFC West this year & a 3rd vs 4th place schedule.

Remember the 2011 NY Giants? Won the SB as a borderline playoff team. But missed the playoffs the next 4 yrs b/c they weren't that good. Other last decade borderline playoff teams that at least went to the conf. championship are the 2020 Bucs (5th seed), 2019 Titans (6th), the 2017 Jags, the 2016 Packers (4th), the 2014 Colts (4th), & the 2013 49ers (5th). So 5 out of 7 failed to make the playoffs the following year, the Titans were bounced in the wildcard round, and the Bucs were bounced in the divisional round.

Plus Jimmy now has 6 playoff starts w/ a 28.0 passer rating in the 4th, ranking last among QB's in the past 30 yrs (which is crazy given how much easier it is to pass in the last decade w/ the new rules). Counting on the 49ers to continue to win playoff games w/ a QB w/ such a low rating (overall 74.1) is not smart odds.
Regarding quoted paragraph 2: Let's defer to Belichick who made it all about Mac and his development over winning early regular season games by going w/ Cam. Sure, they started off 1-3 and subsequently 2-4, but the organization is in a much better place for it.
[ Edited by json7 on Apr 5, 2022 at 12:09 AM ]
Originally posted by json7:
Idk, they weren't set up for a deep run last yr, they just got a favorable matchup in the Cowboys (they lose to Rams/Bucs) & got a miracle punt block TD vs the Pack. They were also lucky to be in the playoffs. Vs CIN, #30 dropped an easy pick 6 to win the game. Vs CHI, Deebo saved the season by taking a WR screen pass for 83 yards, and Vs PHI, Tartt & Lenoir stopped Quez Watkins after 91 yards (& the subsequent goal line stand prevents pts).

The reality is they were 3rd in the division and barely made the playoffs... And now they could be going w/ inexperienced players at S, Nickel, LG, RT, and possibly C if Mack pulls a Staley. They'll be facing the AFC West this year & a 3rd vs 4th place schedule.

Remember the 2011 NY Giants? Won the SB as a borderline playoff team. But missed the playoffs the next 4 yrs b/c they weren't that good. Other last decade borderline playoff teams that at least went to the conf. championship are the 2020 Bucs (5th seed), 2019 Titans (6th), the 2017 Jags, the 2016 Packers (4th), the 2014 Colts (4th), & the 2013 49ers (5th). So 5 out of 7 failed to make the playoffs the following year, the Titans were bounced in the wildcard round, and the Bucs were bounced in the divisional round.

Plus Jimmy now has 6 playoff starts w/ a 28.0 passer rating in the 4th, ranking last among QB's in the past 30 yrs (which is crazy given how much easier it is to pass in the last decade w/ the new rules). Counting on the 49ers to continue to win playoff games w/ a QB w/ such a low rating (overall 74.1) is not smart odds.
Regarding quoted paragraph 2: Let's defer to Belichick who made it all about Mac and his development over winning early regular season games by going w/ Cam. Sure, they started off 1-3 and subsequently 2-4, but the organization is in a much better place for it.

I disagree with your evaluation of the 49ers last season. They were a top 5 roster in the NFC, conservatively, going into the season and they underperformed in the first half.

Mac Jones was a pro ready prospect who earned the starting job over Cam Newton. He was a better player right out of the gate. That was his entire appeal.
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:
No arguments here. Even if true 0% chance Jimmy is here in September.

Im pretty sure you mean 100%. Oops.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
I feel like this video applies to anything Jimmy related in here 😆

Bump
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
i just started doing mock draft research and so much round 1 talent keeps falling to mid 2nd just outside the reach of our pick

gdamn if we could have moved JG for a second in this draft it would have been amazing

So we can draft another bust guard? Yea jimmy ruined everything.

No so we can draft more great players like we have so they can continue to carry Jimmy. Sadly though, no team wants him. This might be a surprise to you, but the rest of the league isn't a dumb Jimmy homer.
I disagree with your evaluation of the 49ers last season. They were a top 5 roster in the NFC, conservatively, going into the season and they underperformed in the first half.

Mac Jones was a pro ready prospect who earned the starting job over Cam Newton. He was a better player right out of the gate. That was his entire appeal.
On Mac: you're taking a draft narrative & regurgitating it w/o knowing anything about it. Watch his 3 preseason & first 6 games. He was not pro ready & got better throughout the year (we saw late that he needs to build his body up to improve his strength b/c the cold weather really affected his throwing).

On Top 5: A 49er fan/media statement w/ no evidence to back it up. Do you even know half the starters on ARZ, SEA, LAR? How much better are the 9ers than the Saints, who went 9-3 when they had bottom-level starting QB play in Jameis 5-2 & Taysom 4-1, but went 0-5 when they had backup QB level play in Siemian 0-4 & Book 0-1.

If Jameis/Taysom played all 17 (9ers miss playoffs), I wonder what the perception would've been from our fanbase of this roster. Or if they were bounced by the Bucs or Rams in round 1. Or if that miraculous punt block TD vs a clearly superior GB team didn't take place.

B/c every borderline teams' fanbase thinks they underperformed: Saints, 49ers, Colts, Browns, Ravens, Dolphins (2-3 w/ Jacoby, Tua was 7-5, so they think they go 10-7 w/ Tua), Cards (losing Hopkins sank them), Eagles (lost B. Graham in wk 2). But reality is they were a 3rd place team in their division that barely made the playoffs & NFL history does not look kindly on those teams. Kyle & Lynch should be doing everything they can to make sure Lance succeeds b/c, based off history, they will be fired otherwise. I'm not looking forward to another Jed York hire.

Anyway, in '22 we're going w/ 1st yr starters like Banks/McKivitz? at LG, Skule/Moore? at RT, Lenoir? at Nickel, Odum/Moore? at S + Jimmy's shown that he's not made of the right stuff in the playoffs: 60.6%, 160.3 pyds, 0.8 ryds, 4 td's to 6 int's (int rate 4.5%!), & a 74.1 rating (not a great stat, but there's no way to excuse a 74.1 PR in the modern NFL or 28.0 in the 4th q). Not that the losses are solely on him, but if they'd just gotten "regular season Jimmy G" play, they'd have 2 rings.
Or if that miraculous punt block TD vs a clearly superior GB team didn't take place.
You're not 'clearly superior' if you end up with 67 rushing yards, complete 5 out of 12 on 3rd down, oh and - lose the game.
Packers looked clearly superior for around a drive and a half, but then our defense settled and the game became very even, with both defences dominating.

He didn't earn anything. Cam was slated to be the starter then he refused the vaccination and Bellicheck was tired of dealing with the drama. Had Cam got the vaccination he would've been the starter.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

He didn't earn anything. Cam was slated to be the starter then he refused the vaccination and Bellicheck was tired of dealing with the drama. Had Cam got the vaccination he would've been the starter.

Thats false in that Jones didn't earn it. Belichick after two preseason games continued to say Newton was the starter despite Mac Jones showing a good preseason performance. So it was only a matter of time before Belichick named Jones the starter. Its not like Jones played like s**t and only got the starting job because he was a 1st round pick. Thats the definition of being handed the job but that was simply not the case.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Thats false in that Jones didn't earn it. Belichick after two preseason games continued to say Newton was the starter despite Mac Jones showing a good preseason performance. So it was only a matter of time before Belichick named Jones the starter. Its not like Jones played like s**t and only got the starting job because he was a 1st round pick. Thats the definition of being handed the job but that was simply not the case.

Newton is terrible - Jones would have won the competition.
On Mac: you're taking a draft narrative & regurgitating it w/o knowing anything about it. Watch his 3 preseason & first 6 games. He was not pro ready & got better throughout the year (we saw late that he needs to build his body up to improve his strength b/c the cold weather really affected his throwing).

On Top 5: A 49er fan/media statement w/ no evidence to back it up. Do you even know half the starters on ARZ, SEA, LAR? How much better are the 9ers than the Saints, who went 9-3 when they had bottom-level starting QB play in Jameis 5-2 & Taysom 4-1, but went 0-5 when they had backup QB level play in Siemian 0-4 & Book 0-1.

If Jameis/Taysom played all 17 (9ers miss playoffs), I wonder what the perception would've been from our fanbase of this roster. Or if they were bounced by the Bucs or Rams in round 1. Or if that miraculous punt block TD vs a clearly superior GB team didn't take place.

B/c every borderline teams' fanbase thinks they underperformed: Saints, 49ers, Colts, Browns, Ravens, Dolphins (2-3 w/ Jacoby, Tua was 7-5, so they think they go 10-7 w/ Tua), Cards (losing Hopkins sank them), Eagles (lost B. Graham in wk 2). But reality is they were a 3rd place team in their division that barely made the playoffs & NFL history does not look kindly on those teams. Kyle & Lynch should be doing everything they can to make sure Lance succeeds b/c, based off history, they will be fired otherwise. I'm not looking forward to another Jed York hire.

Anyway, in '22 we're going w/ 1st yr starters like Banks/McKivitz? at LG, Skule/Moore? at RT, Lenoir? at Nickel, Odum/Moore? at S + Jimmy's shown that he's not made of the right stuff in the playoffs: 60.6%, 160.3 pyds, 0.8 ryds, 4 td's to 6 int's (int rate 4.5%!), & a 74.1 rating (not a great stat, but there's no way to excuse a 74.1 PR in the modern NFL or 28.0 in the 4th q). Not that the losses are solely on him, but if they'd just gotten "regular season Jimmy G" play, they'd have 2 rings.

I watched every one Mac's college snaps, all of the Pats preseason games, and around 12 of their regular season games. Do you know why the narrative going into the draft was that Mac Jones was pro ready? It's because that's what his college tape screamed out. You saw a QB who's fundamentals were polished, who exhibited great accuracy and decision making. His downside was physical limitations. Lack of a great arm, lack of an ability to threaten a defense with his legs. That's where the draft narrative of low ceiling, limited player, was born.

What did Cam Newton do in the preseason or even in his first season in NE to demonstrate he was playing the position at a higher level than Mac Jones last season? Instead of pretending I don't know what I'm talking about, support your statement that Bill Belicheck chose Mac's development over the better player with an argument based around their abilities at the time.

I'm also not relying on media or other fans analysis of the 49ers roster. Going into the season I had them behind the Rams and the Bucs and thought a comparison with AZ could go either way. In your quickness to imply I don't know what other teams have on their roster, you mentioned Seattle and said Green Bay was clearly superior. Let's talk about Green Bay's clearly superior roster.

Lining up the 49ers roster against Green Bay, from last season, I see Green Bay having a talent advantage at QB, RB, and in the secondary. The 49ers have superior weapons in the pass game, the superior offensive line, defensive line, linebackers and better depth pretty much across the board. Every year the Packers beat up on a weak NFC north, and get beat in the playoffs by superior teams that are battle tested. 2019 49ers, 2020 Bucs, 2021 49ers.

I find it funny that you make the argument that the 49ers were what they were at 10-7 yet go on to speculate on a bunch of what if scenarios to elevate other teams beyond what they in fact were. What if the 49ers don't block that punt against GB? What if Jameis doesn't get injured? It stands to reason you shouldn't what if only when it's convenient for your argument. What if George Kittle catches a potential touchdown pass that hits him in the chest early in that Packers game. What if Jimmy G starts the AZ game in AZ instead of Trey Lance? What if Mostert doesn't go down in the 1st half of the 1st game of the season? We can do this all day.

The 49ers went to the NFC championship with a broken, less than average, QB winning 3 straight elimination games on the road *against 3 division winners. Lost a coin-flip game in a 4th straight road game against a division winner in the title game*. It stands to reason they have pretty good players everywhere, and it's not a secret.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Apr 5, 2022 at 1:59 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone