There are 197 users in the forums

SF 49ers at LA Rams Pregame Thread - 2021 Season NFC Championship Game

Shop Find 49ers gear online

SF 49ers at LA Rams Pregame Thread - 2021 Season NFC Championship Game

Originally posted by ldhampton2s:
I enjoy the trash talk on here. I'm just as excited about this game as you guys are. So I hope you all don't think I'm on here to troll…im not. Im just here for some friendly trash talk and chat about the game.

The biggest priority for the Rams is stopping the run in my opinion. If they can do it like they did in the first half of week 18, I think we win easily. If within the first 20 minutes, the 49ers have a 10+ play drive running the ball, I'll be worried.

It's not only about stopping the run for the Niners anymore. It's figuring out how to slow Deebo down because there's no stopping him. Ramsey alone by himself wont be able to stop Deebo, it'll take more than that. I think Jimmy G will have one of his best games this season. Rams will come out full blown tryna stop the run and Deebo but Kittle against the Rams LBs/Ss is the matchup that favors the Niners bigtime and looking forward to.
Originally posted by ritz126:
disagree with DL we have a much better depth and rotation your starters might be better from top to bottom but the reason why we win our matcups is over the course of the game your DL gets tired

Also on secondary we have the better S for sure your CB are better

I think that's fair, but against TB Miller and Donald absolutely dominated on a different level. I get the Buccs line was banged up, but those two are playing the best they have all year

And TB's tackles were beat up. Once TB was able to hit the edge in the run game a few times it slowed down Miller and Floyd. You could see on film they were working outside first in run edge setting before shifting to a pass rush.

TB also had problems on early downs vs man and with no early completions and no commitment to the run game LA was running a lot of Tampa 2 coverage. That's why Brady kept throwing those corner routes but Gronk just doesn't have the speed anymore to make those count. It's why Brady got picked.

In the 2nd half TB did a better job getting Evans a favorable release vs man and committing go the run when LA would run 2 safeties.

If LA tries to run the same defensive scheme and gameplan that they did to start out the TB game, were gonna run all over y'all.

I expect several passes to Jennings, Kittle or Aiyuk early on to attack your man coverage with Deebo in the backfield and force zone, which Kyle will then attack with sweeps to set up the split zone and then groove the wide zone.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
BTW, I think Akers will be the difference maker in this one. I think you guys will see a lot of Cam Akers and he's going to be very effective.

I know SF has stopped the run very well here recently, but I think Akers is hungry after those fumbles, and I think he has a huge game. The Akers is you saw in week 18 is not the one you'll see Sunday.

AJ Dillon and Aaron Jones both combined for 66 yards rushing and that was at home. Ezekiel Elliot and Tony Pollard combined for 45 yards rushing also at home. Cam Akers (5 attempts), Sony Michel and Cooper Kupp combined for 35 yards AGAIN also at home. I don't think the 9ers defense is worried about anyone running the ball on them any time soon.
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Akers this season, 44 runs for 106 yards, 2.4 yards a carry. And you think he is currently better than Elijah Mitchell?

He just came back from an injury, he's starting to get his legs under him.

I wouldn't take to much into those stats. Nobody runs against Tampa Bay. So Akers YPC, considering most of his attempts were against TB, doesn't bother me too much.

I get it, Akers hasn't proved all that much. I've seen the explosiveness and toughness though. I think he's going to be a problem for SF on Sunday
Originally posted by jonnydel:
It won't matter. LA's problems in the run game haven't been their RB's against us. They haven't been able to get the edge going and your interior OL can't out-muscle Armstead and Jones or be quick enough to beat them.

McVay doesn't utilize many power-blocking runs. In each of the last 6 games he tried different things. 2019 he started with split zone to slow down the interior pursuit and was effective the first drive. After that we kept the 1 tech in his lane better and scrape exchanged the end, allowing bosa to collapse the cutback on the split zone.

He then tried to use more wide zone while he committed to the run and in the 2nd meeting. Problem was, they couldn't handle the quickness and leverage of our edge guys. They'd attack the outside shoulder of the end man immediately and hold their ground in leverage. That kept LA from extending the edge and spreading open the run lanes.

This also happened in both games this year.

When you guys can't get to the edge or take advantage of the backside 1 tech or DE, the run game is absolute toast. It has to do with McVay's belief that when this happens he'll be able to use the pass to open up the run game.

Harder to do against a team that knows your passing tendencies.

McVay likes passes around the hashes to set up his passing offense. A lot plays off that.

He doesn't have the commitment to variety in the run game that Kyle does. He'll use the entire width of the field in the run game.

Enjoyed reading that post, and I agree with it completely.
Shanahan absolutely has a more complex and effective run game.

I think Akers will be more than effective this game though. I think that could make for a long day for SF. Akers was very good in the second game against SF in 2020. Goff just blew it.

Akers was only effective because our DL was beat up. Bosa was on IR and they were able to attack the edge more.

I'm not saying Akers isn't a talented back, he hasn't been the problem. He didn't play bad against us in week 18. He had no where to run. Can't get going and run iver a team when you get hit before a 1 yard gain on every play.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
I enjoy the trash talk on here. I'm just as excited about this game as you guys are. So I hope you all don't think I'm on here to troll…im not. Im just here for some friendly trash talk and chat about the game.

The biggest priority for the Rams is stopping the run in my opinion. If they can do it like they did in the first half of week 18, I think we win easily. If within the first 20 minutes, the 49ers have a 10+ play drive running the ball, I'll be worried.

It's not only about stopping the run for the Niners anymore. It's figuring out how to slow Deebo down because there's no stopping him. Ramsey alone by himself wont be able to stop Deebo, it'll take more than that. I think Jimmy G will have one of his best games this season. Rams will come out full blown tryna stop the run and Deebo but Kittle against the Rams LBs/Ss is the matchup that favors the Niners bigtime and looking forward to.

Gotta remember Jimmy had 2 TOs. If those don't happen, score could have been alot different.

The 49ers are the first team ever to beat 3 12 win teams in a row in the playoffs. Your going to win easily??? Will be close. Jimmy isn't good enough through the air to constantly drive down the field and put up a lot of points. It's going to be a 27-24 kind of game
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
10 is a lot.

5 might be a stretch.

Rams have a better QB…no debate.
Cam Akers > Elijah Mirchell.
Cooper Kupp and Odell > Deebo and Aiyuk.
Oline - You guys have the better LT, but Havenstein is better than your RT. I'll give you guys the edge here tho.
TE - Kittle > Higbee
Dline - Rams especially counting V Miller.
LB - 49ers easily
Secondary - Rams

Rams have a better team. I think most people that aren't fans of either team would agree with that

Cam Akers better that Elijah Mitchell, whos name you didnt even spell properly.

Akers Career 14 G 150 att 628 yards 4,2 Avg 2 TD 1 fum
Mitchell Career 11 G 207 Att 963 yards 4.7 Avg 5 TD 0 Fumb

Mitchell is better in every stat and less games. Take off the homer glasses dude
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Akers this season, 44 runs for 106 yards, 2.4 yards a carry. And you think he is currently better than Elijah Mitchell?

He just came back from an injury, he's starting to get his legs under him.

I wouldn't take to much into those stats. Nobody runs against Tampa Bay. So Akers YPC, considering most of his attempts were against TB, doesn't bother me too much.

I get it, Akers hasn't proved all that much. I've seen the explosiveness and toughness though. I think he's going to be a problem for SF on Sunday

Tampa Bay allowed 4.3 yards per rush on the season, we allowed 4. If you couldn't run on Tampa Bay, you're not running on us.

I've watched the film on both games. It's not Akers, it's your OL. They're a pass blocking OL on a team that needs the run game to set up the pass game.

They're not quick and they're not road graders. That's why they were ranked well in pass pro. But we saw how well that went for them the last 2 games.

SF's unit are not great pass protectors and so Kyle relies heavily on using the run game to slow down the pass rush. Again, I expect some quick passes against guys not named Ramsey out of 11 personnel to set up our offense.
38-17 Niners

Originally posted by jonnydel:
It won't matter. LA's problems in the run game haven't been their RB's against us. They haven't been able to get the edge going and your interior OL can't out-muscle Armstead and Jones or be quick enough to beat them.

McVay doesn't utilize many power-blocking runs. In each of the last 6 games he tried different things. 2019 he started with split zone to slow down the interior pursuit and was effective the first drive. After that we kept the 1 tech in his lane better and scrape exchanged the end, allowing bosa to collapse the cutback on the split zone.

He then tried to use more wide zone while he committed to the run and in the 2nd meeting. Problem was, they couldn't handle the quickness and leverage of our edge guys. They'd attack the outside shoulder of the end man immediately and hold their ground in leverage. That kept LA from extending the edge and spreading open the run lanes.

This also happened in both games this year.

When you guys can't get to the edge or take advantage of the backside 1 tech or DE, the run game is absolute toast. It has to do with McVay's belief that when this happens he'll be able to use the pass to open up the run game.

Harder to do against a team that knows your passing tendencies.

McVay likes passes around the hashes to set up his passing offense. A lot plays off that.

He doesn't have the commitment to variety in the run game that Kyle does. He'll use the entire width of the field in the run game.

Enjoyed reading that post, and I agree with it completely.
Shanahan absolutely has a more complex and effective run game.

I think Akers will be more than effective this game though. I think that could make for a long day for SF. Akers was very good in the second game against SF in 2020. Goff just blew it.

I think that if anything it could be a very very very long day for the Rams if Mitchell "will be more effective this game though" because he's healthier than he was back then. Same with Samuel. The Rams are not that good at stopping the run and you're talking about if Akers has a good day???? That's kind of laughable but I guess that comes with being a Rams fan. You do know that the niners have the best run defense in the league and a better pass rush than the Rams don't you? Sorry those are the facts. The Rams may have two great players on their DL but we have great players on our DL.

Bosa is elite and I bet you didn't know that our DT DJ Jones is 2ND to only Aaron Donald in TFL. Arik Amrstead is on an absolute tear.

Also the Rams have horrible safety and linebacker play. Another thing about Samuel as opposed to Cooper Kupp, Samuel has a better average per catch and is much more dynamic. If Samuel had even close to the amount of receptions that Cooper Kupp has, he would be the offensive MVP by a long shot. Also, Samuel has to go up against outside corners quite a bit more whereas Cooper Kupp is almost always in the slot for the most part. It's a lot easier to beat slot cbs and get open in the slot than working against outside corners.
Special teams for the win🏆
Originally posted by elguapo:
I think that if anything it could be a very very very long day for the Rams if Mitchell "will be more effective this game though" because he's healthier than he was back then. Same with Samuel. The Rams are not that good at stopping the run and you're talking about if Akers has a good day???? That's kind of laughable but I guess that comes with being a Rams fan. You do know that the niners have the best run defense in the league and a better pass rush than the Rams don't you? Sorry those are the facts. The Rams may have two great players on their DL but we have great players on our DL.

Bosa is elite and I bet you didn't know that our DT DJ Jones is 2ND to only Aaron Donald in TFL. Arik Amrstead is on an absolute tear.

Also the Rams have horrible safety and linebacker play. Another thing about Samuel as opposed to Cooper Kupp, Samuel has a better average per catch and is much more dynamic. If Samuel had even close to the amount of receptions that Cooper Kupp has, he would be the offensive MVP by a long shot. Also, Samuel has to go up against outside corners quite a bit more whereas Cooper Kupp is almost always in the slot for the most part. It's a lot easier to beat slot cbs and get open in the slot than working against outside corners.

Kupp is a much better route runner. And if Samuel could have had the same production as Kupp…Kyle Shanahan wouldn't have allowed that to happen.

Part of it is Garapollo not being able to get him the ball through the air, which is why I think they started handing it to him.

Also, McVay lines Kupp closer to the OL because he is an extension of the Oline when it comes to blocking. He's a much better blocker than Deebo.
[ Edited by ldhampton2s on Jan 27, 2022 at 7:55 PM ]
Originally posted by jds_49ers:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
10 is a lot.

5 might be a stretch.

Rams have a better QB…no debate.
Cam Akers > Elijah Mirchell.
Cooper Kupp and Odell > Deebo and Aiyuk.
Oline - You guys have the better LT, but Havenstein is better than your RT. I'll give you guys the edge here tho.
TE - Kittle > Higbee
Dline - Rams especially counting V Miller.
LB - 49ers easily
Secondary - Rams

Rams have a better team. I think most people that aren't fans of either team would agree with that

Cam Akers better that Elijah Mitchell, whos name you didnt even spell properly.

Akers Career 14 G 150 att 628 yards 4,2 Avg 2 TD 1 fum
Mitchell Career 11 G 207 Att 963 yards 4.7 Avg 5 TD 0 Fumb

Mitchell is better in every stat and less games. Take off the homer glasses dude

He can leave those glasses on, maybe it will help with the loss more going into the off-season thinking the better team loss
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
38-17 Niners

I think it's gunna be closer than that but the Niners are more hungry for the win.

28-24 9ers
Share 49ersWebzone