There are 186 users in the forums

SF 49ers at LA Rams Pregame Thread - 2021 Season NFC Championship Game

Shop Find 49ers gear online

SF 49ers at LA Rams Pregame Thread - 2021 Season NFC Championship Game

Originally posted by jonnydel:
Tampa Bay allowed 4.3 yards per rush on the season, we allowed 4. If you couldn't run on Tampa Bay, you're not running on us.

I've watched the film on both games. It's not Akers, it's your OL. They're a pass blocking OL on a team that needs the run game to set up the pass game.

They're not quick and they're not road graders. That's why they were ranked well in pass pro. But we saw how well that went for them the last 2 games.

SF's unit are not great pass protectors and so Kyle relies heavily on using the run game to slow down the pass rush. Again, I expect some quick passes against guys not named Ramsey out of 11 personnel to set up our offense.

I completely agree with you that the Rams Oline has not been good in the run game. Not at all.

And I was listening to NFL Radio today, and a lot of people are expecting the 49ers to come out throwing the ball. I think that would be a mistake.
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2022/01/27/rams-49ers-ernest-jones-role-return-playoffs/
Originally posted by ldhampton2s:
Originally posted by elguapo:
I think that if anything it could be a very very very long day for the Rams if Mitchell "will be more effective this game though" because he's healthier than he was back then. Same with Samuel. The Rams are not that good at stopping the run and you're talking about if Akers has a good day???? That's kind of laughable but I guess that comes with being a Rams fan. You do know that the niners have the best run defense in the league and a better pass rush than the Rams don't you? Sorry those are the facts. The Rams may have two great players on their DL but we have great players on our DL.

Bosa is elite and I bet you didn't know that our DT DJ Jones is 2ND to only Aaron Donald in TFL. Arik Amrstead is on an absolute tear.

Also the Rams have horrible safety and linebacker play. Another thing about Samuel as opposed to Cooper Kupp, Samuel has a better average per catch and is much more dynamic. If Samuel had even close to the amount of receptions that Cooper Kupp has, he would be the offensive MVP by a long shot. Also, Samuel has to go up against outside corners quite a bit more whereas Cooper Kupp is almost always in the slot for the most part. It's a lot easier to beat slot cbs and get open in the slot than working against outside corners.

Kupp is a much better route runner. And if Samuel could have had the same production as Kupp…Kyle Shanahan wouldn't have allowed that to happen.

Part of it is Garapollo not being able to get him the ball through the air, which is why I think they started handing it to him.

Also, McVay lines Kupp closer to the OL because he is an extension of the Oline when it comes to blocking. He's a much better blocker than Deebo.

Really? Lol. Go watch SF's last drive vs GB and watch Deebo knock their MIKE back 3 feet on a lead block.

McVay uses him, yes but that also causes numerous bad things for LA against us One play Ebukam knocked him on his a$$ and sacked Stafford on a play action pass.

Another Bosa took him and Higbee out on a wide zone freeing up Tartt for a tackle for loss on Akers.

Kupp is a better route runner for sure. But Garoppolo not getting him the ball? That's pure ignorance. Deebo was averaging 110.25 yards per game BEFORE he switched to a rushing role. That equates to 1,874 yards on the season. Please.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
He can leave those glasses on, maybe it will help with the loss more going into the off-season thinking the better team loss

Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by jds_49ers:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
10 is a lot.

5 might be a stretch.

Rams have a better QB…no debate.
Cam Akers > Elijah Mirchell.
Cooper Kupp and Odell > Deebo and Aiyuk.
Oline - You guys have the better LT, but Havenstein is better than your RT. I'll give you guys the edge here tho.
TE - Kittle > Higbee
Dline - Rams especially counting V Miller.
LB - 49ers easily
Secondary - Rams

Rams have a better team. I think most people that aren't fans of either team would agree with that

Cam Akers better that Elijah Mitchell, whos name you didnt even spell properly.

Akers Career 14 G 150 att 628 yards 4,2 Avg 2 TD 1 fum
Mitchell Career 11 G 207 Att 963 yards 4.7 Avg 5 TD 0 Fumb

Mitchell is better in every stat and less games. Take off the homer glasses dude

He can leave those glasses on, maybe it will help with the loss more going into the off-season thinking the better team loss

Lol. I've been really high on Akers heading into this season. The injury kind of ruined that. I didn't expect much from him against Tampa, because McVay owns Tampa with his passing schemes.

I just feel like this will be a Cam Akers day. We will see Sunday.
Really? Lol. Go watch SF's last drive vs GB and watch Deebo knock their MIKE back 3 feet on a lead block.

McVay uses him, yes but that also causes numerous bad things for LA against us One play Ebukam knocked him on his a$$ and sacked Stafford on a play action pass.

Another Bosa took him and Higbee out on a wide zone freeing up Tartt for a tackle for loss on Akers.

Kupp is a better route runner for sure. But Garoppolo not getting him the ball? That's pure ignorance. Deebo was averaging 110.25 yards per game BEFORE he switched to a rushing role. That equates to 1,874 yards on the season. Please.

I'm talking about Garoppolo not getting him the ball at the frequency that Kupp gets thrown to. I didn't mean he couldn't get him the ball at all.
[ Edited by ldhampton2s on Jan 27, 2022 at 8:06 PM ]
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Oline - You guys have the better LT, but Havenstein is better than your RT. I'll give you guys the edge here tho.
TE - Kittle > Higbee
LB - 49ers easily
Secondary - Rams

Rams have a better team. I think most people that aren't fans of either team would agree with that

Akers this season, 44 runs for 106 yards, 2.4 yards a carry. And you think he is currently better than Elijah Mitchell?

Yeah, that made me laugh too.
Lol. I've been really high on Akers heading into this season. The injury kind of ruined that. I didn't expect much from him against Tampa, because McVay owns Tampa with his passing schemes.

I just feel like this will be a Cam Akers day. We will see Sunday.

It's possible, but I doubt it. Niners run D is vert stout. If the Rams are going to win, it'll definitely be through the air.

I'm talking about Garoppolo not getting him the ball at the frequency that Kupp gets thrown to. I didn't mean he couldn't get him the ball at all.

Probably is the Rams offense and the Niners offense are completely different. I believe the Rams throw the ball 8-10 times more per game than the Niners. That's a lot more opportunity for players like Kupp and OBJ to shine and limits the opportunities for Aiyuk, Kittle and Deebo. Shanahan saw what Deebo was becoming, that's why he started giving Deebo backfield reps, just to put the ball in his hands more. The Niners under Shanahan will always be a run first team, regardless of who our QB is.

Personally, comparing Kupp and Deebo is hard. Sure, they're both WRs, but that's where their similarities end. Both play a very different style of game, and both are at the top of that game. I'd say Kupp = Deebo considering the fact that the Rams would not trade Kupp straight up for Deebo, and the Niners would not trade Deebo straight up for Kupp.
Tampa Bay allowed 4.3 yards per rush on the season, we allowed 4. If you couldn't run on Tampa Bay, you're not running on us.

I've watched the film on both games. It's not Akers, it's your OL. They're a pass blocking OL on a team that needs the run game to set up the pass game.

They're not quick and they're not road graders. That's why they were ranked well in pass pro. But we saw how well that went for them the last 2 games.

SF's unit are not great pass protectors and so Kyle relies heavily on using the run game to slow down the pass rush. Again, I expect some quick passes against guys not named Ramsey out of 11 personnel to set up our offense.

I completely agree with you that the Rams Oline has not been good in the run game. Not at all.

And I was listening to NFL Radio today, and a lot of people are expecting the 49ers to come out throwing the ball. I think that would be a mistake.

You would. But you're not understanding the matchup and scheme.

You're probably thinking of Jimmy's 2 picks. Well, the 2nd one was only the result of a creaper blitz. If the OL doesn't completely fail the blocking scheme that play is first and goal inside the 5, at worst. LA was in c3 zone, levels concept and the hook/curl covered the underneath in route, which was Deebo. When Ramsey got his hand on the ball there was no other defending within 5 yards. Kittle might have even scored on the play.

LA isn't a great zone defense team. They're built for man-cov. But against SF they can't go 2 safeties they'll get run on so it means a lot of C1 lurk.

So, you get the outside guys, Aiyuk, Kittle, Jennings in 1 on 1's. Last game we ran Deebo on a lot of shorter routes to occupy the lurk and feasted against the other guys who were tasked with covering in space with off-coverage. When they'd press, we'd condense the sets and that set up our run game as we could use Crack blocks and it gave easy blocks for the OL to get up on DB's.
Don't know if this has been posted or not but apparently according to Vivid Seats the Rams attempt to prevent Niners fans from getting tickets has backfired and at this time predicts that 65% of the home crowd will be wearing Red. This is shocking as normally in the NFL it is 85-95% for the home team, and even more so during playoff games.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/49ers-rams-nfc-championship-game-ticket-resale-nfl/hi37ujsd6arc1p2chssa7ntl9
[ Edited by WINiner on Jan 27, 2022 at 8:15 PM ]
TE - Kittle > Higbee
LB - 49ers easily
Secondary - Rams

QB - Agreed.
RB - As everyone else has said, Mitchell is easily better than Akers atm. Akers has some great potential that was derailed by his injury, sadly, but Mitchell and the Niners running game as a whole is much better than the Rams. Hell, Deebo is even getting 5+ looks a game as a RB. Not even close, Niners.
WRs - I do give the slight nod to the Rams here.
Oline - I feel like this one is a push, but I also am not too familiar with the Rams oline outside a few players.
TE - Agreed.
Dline - Again, this is a push. Our dlines are vastly different, but both are dominant.
LB - Agreed.
Secondary - Agreed.

I think the media says the Rams are a better team overall in large part due to the "Super Team" moniker and the fact that you all won the NFC West this year. But I think the Niners are a better team head-to-head. It's one of the main reason we swept you guys this year in the regular season. Rams have a lot of big name players doing big name things, but the Niners are silently stout almost everywhere (except our CBs, right side Oline and special teams).

Originally posted by WINiner:
Don't know if this has been posted or not but apparently according to Vivid Seats the Rams attempt to prevent Niners fans from getting tickets has backfired and at this time predicts that 65% of the home crowd will be wearing Red. This is shocking as normally in the NFL it is 85-95% for the home team, and even more so during playoff games.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/49ers-rams-nfc-championship-game-ticket-resale-nfl/hi37ujsd6arc1p2chssa7ntl9

It is actually projected to be more than that now.
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
TE - Kittle > Higbee
LB - 49ers easily
Secondary - Rams

QB - Agreed.
RB - As everyone else has said, Mitchell is easily better than Akers atm. Akers has some great potential that was derailed by his injury, sadly, but Mitchell and the Niners running game as a whole is much better than the Rams. Hell, Deebo is even getting 5+ looks a game as a RB. Not even close, Niners.
WRs - I do give the slight nod to the Rams here.
Oline - I feel like this one is a push, but I also am not too familiar with the Rams oline outside a few players.
TE - Agreed.
Dline - Again, this is a push. Our dlines are vastly different, but both are dominant.
LB - Agreed.
Secondary - Agreed.

I think the media says the Rams are a better team overall in large part due to the "Super Team" moniker and the fact that you all won the NFC West this year. But I think the Niners are a better team head-to-head. It's one of the main reason we swept you guys this year in the regular season. Rams have a lot of big name players doing big name things, but the Niners are silently stout almost everywhere (except our CBs, right side Oline and special teams).

49ers have the better fans, don't forget that one....
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by WINiner:

It is actually projected to be more than that now.

Lmaoooo amazing. Bay Area fans are pretty loaded if they're living there, challenging a bunch of millionaires to figure out how to get to SOFI was a stupid move lol
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
It's possible, but I doubt it. Niners run D is vert stout. If the Rams are going to win, it'll definitely be through the air.

Probably is the Rams offense and the Niners offense are completely different. I believe the Rams throw the ball 8-10 times more per game than the Niners. That's a lot more opportunity for players like Kupp and OBJ to shine and limits the opportunities for Aiyuk, Kittle and Deebo. Shanahan saw what Deebo was becoming, that's why he started giving Deebo backfield reps, just to put the ball in his hands more. The Niners under Shanahan will always be a run first team, regardless of who our QB is.

Personally, comparing Kupp and Deebo is hard. Sure, they're both WRs, but that's where their similarities end. Both play a very different style of game, and both are at the top of that game. I'd say Kupp = Deebo considering the fact that the Rams would not trade Kupp straight up for Deebo, and the Niners would not trade Deebo straight up for Kupp.

I think that's completely fair. Kupp fits what the Rams do better and Deebo fits what the 49ers do better.

It's just hard for me (considering I'm a Rams fan) to say any team has a better WR than Kupp this year. His connection with Stafford this season was one for the ages. A lot of people don't know, but Kupp put up astronomical numbers in college too.

Again, ignorance. I'm not trying to be insulting I'm meaning that from you don't watch our games or aren't familiar with things. Which I wouldn't expect you to since you're a Rams fan.

Before he went to the rushing role Deebo was targeted on about 25% of our passes. Cooper Kupp was about 31%.

LA also runs the ball a lot less because Kyle Shanahan wants to run the ball. He wants to run and we run it and he's always wanted to run it.

The role Deebo is playing was originally meant for Jerrick McKinnon, who you may recognize as now with the Chiefs. But he was envisioned as a running back/receiver hybrid. Jalen Hurd was the same thing but was hurt all the time and it was only after we released Hurd and the door was shut there that Deebo stepped in to that role. It had zero to do with Garoppolo.
Share 49ersWebzone