LISTEN: Rookie 49ers Shine Against The Seahawks →

There are 226 users in the forums

Brian Schneider ST coach

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by Cosmo:
Originally posted by GEEK:
The new kickoff rules are definitely exposing ST coaches that can't adapt. It's always been a below average unit but it's been much worse this season.

This week and the bye week are the times to make a change. Kyle needs to make a bold move here

This was only the 2nd TD allowed so far with the new rules.

And it came after the other several long kickoff returns, the long punt return against the Rams, the blocked punt against the Vikings, etc.

Should be the final straw IMO.

This
  • bud49
  • Veteran
He needs to be gone. Should have rode a greyhound back to SF.
Are we better off kicking the ball out of Bounds on kickoffs if we are unable to kick it out of the endzone?
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
Are we better off kicking the ball out of Bounds on kickoffs if we are unable to kick it out of the endzone?

Squib it. If you know the other team is going to return it, at least make it harder for them to field it. That's the only solution for this inept special teams unit.
Originally posted by DrEll:

Squib it. If you know the other team is going to return it, at least make it harder for them to field it. That's the only solution for this inept special teams unit.

I would at least try this. A ball bouncing around gives you a chance for a fumble recovery.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I would at least try this. A ball bouncing around gives you a chance for a fumble recovery.

For sure. Make the return handle the bounce. I would definitely drive a hard low kick into the 5-10 yard line.
Originally posted by TD49ers:

For sure. Make the return handle the bounce. I would definitely drive a hard low kick into the 5-10 yard line.

Im wondering with these new rules, what happens if the squib kick hits one of our players that are stationary or one of their players that are stationary?
Im wondering with these new rules, what happens if the squib kick hits one of our players that are stationary or one of their players that are stationary?

I believe if the ball lands before the "return zone" for any reason the other team gets the ball at the 40

It would have to be high enough to clear the players but low enough to allow the random bouces of a football.
Originally posted by frenchmov:

I believe if the ball lands before the "return zone" for any reason the other team gets the ball at the 40

What is the return zone?

What is the return zone?

Goal to 20 Yard Line

So basically, if it lands before the 20 or out of bounds it goes to the 40 if not returned.
[ Edited by captveg on Oct 11, 2024 at 10:10 AM ]
Originally posted by captveg:

What is the return zone?

Goal to 20 Yard Line

So basically, if it lands before the 20 or out of bounds it goes to the 40 if not returned.

Based on that, they should still squib in then, unless the returner can take a knee and still get it to the 40.
This dude still sucks.
Where's Robbie Gould ?? Maybe we can hire him as our ST Coach !!
Originally posted by 9moon:
Where's Robbie Gould ?? Maybe we can hire him as our ST Coach !!

He is coaching Jimmy G's HS football team.
Share 49ersWebzone