There are 183 users in the forums

Niners sign CB Charvarius "Mooney" Ward

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
I wonder why no extension for him or Demo etc?

Most likely reason IMO is because both likely want to test the market next March, with Ramsey now at $24.1M a yr, I'm unsure how/if we bring back Mooney in 2024, especially if his deal does void, thus leaving $12.298M in dead money, as for DMo, I know he said he wants a fair deal, I think he's worth $15M a yr, well worth it IMO, I'd keep both if we could get Mooney at like $22M a yr, but I understand if he wants top CB money, he's so underrated, and such a damn good CB.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

Most likely reason IMO is because both likely want to test the market next March, with Ramsey now at $24.1M a yr, I'm unsure how/if we bring back Mooney in 2024, especially if his deal does void, thus leaving $12.298M in dead money, as for DMo, I know he said he wants a fair deal, I think he's worth $15M a yr, well worth it IMO, I'd keep both if we could get Mooney at like $22M a yr, but I understand if he wants top CB money, he's so underrated, and such a damn good CB.

Makes sense. We know the 49ers have approached both. Either could make crazy money on the open market. Hoping we keep Lenoir at minimum because he is still on the rise, is cheaper, and is a guy we drafted. I'd love to have Ward too but he's getting 20 million + from somebody. Great for him too.

I remember when we signed Ward and some 💩 on the signing because he was an UDFA.

Our pro personnel department/scouting is top notch based on our signings and trades.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Sep 11, 2024 at 4:38 PM ]
Sadly I think this is Ward's last year with us. Great signing originally but I think the salary cap just finishes him. Great shame.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

Makes sense. We know the 49ers have approached both. Either could make crazy money on the open market. Hoping we keep Lenoir at minimum because he is still on the rise, is cheaper, and is a guy we drafted. I'd love to have Ward too but he's getting 20 million + from somebody. Great for him too.

I remember when we signed Ward and some 💩 on the signing because he was an UDFA.

Our pro personnel department/scouting is top notch based on our signings and trades.
Maybe I'm going overboard but seems like they've been on point since the Justin Smith signing. Regardless of the HC we have brought in some good FA's over a good period of time. Minus Mckinnon. I'm probably missing more duds
  • thl408
Originally posted by English:
Sadly I think this is Ward's last year with us. Great signing originally but I think the salary cap just finishes him. Great shame.

I think so too, and I feel the team thinks so with their 2nd round CB pick (Green). I am okay with this as I think it's always risky signing a near 30 year old CB to a multiyear (Ward will be 29) - never know how 30 year old CBs will age. Then add on how Brock will get a raise, and how DeMo, entering his prime, is the CB to target if they are to re-sign any of their current key defensive players. Let's enjoy Mooney while we still can.
It's a shame finally we get 2 very good corners and we won't be able to keep them. Even if we don't extend Banks, Greenlaw and/or Hufanga, we may not be able to extend both Ward and Lenoir.

This is unfortunate bc in the playoffs, the value of defensive lineman goes way down because the league allows holding on offense so corners are way more important nowadays. Hopefully Green steps up next year and we extend Yiadom or sign a solid FA cb if we lose Ward
I honestly think Ward is slightly better. He's fantastic. But Lenoir is younger. That matters a lot too in the NFL. We have to sign one of them. We can't lose 2/2 of them. But probably will chose one. I don't know which one. But you have to pick and try to sign one. I think our coverage drops off massively if we lose both of them. We can't allow that to happen.
Originally posted by English:

I think it's more because of the CB market exploding, like the WR market has ever since 2022, remember Deebo, DK, McLaurin, & AJ Brown all got over $23M a yr, then this yr we see ASB get $30M, Tyreek $30M, AJ get a new $32M deal, others, plus Aiyuk's $30M a yr deal, Waddle's $28.25M, just crazy, now the CB market, Surtain got $24M, then Ramsey upped him with $24.1M, before that $20.25M for AJ Terrell, so I think it's the market setting or resetting everything has really skewed things, heck when Baalke gave Kirk $18M a yr that was crazy too, just insane.
Share 49ersWebzone