LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 228 users in the forums

Niners sign CB Charvarius "Mooney" Ward

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Sit him and McCaffrey for the season and give Womack some playing time.
One of the most valuable players on this D. Need him to stay healthy - will be key going forward. Was great to see him be able to re-enter the game later in the 2nd Half.
This man deserves DPOY over Bosa.
Such an odd situation. Nausea. To me, that sounds like a concussion symptom.
Originally posted by Hawaii49er:
Sit him and McCaffrey for the season and give Womack some playing time.

I wonder if Thomas has shown anything. Obviously Lenoir and Womack are ahead of him, but hoping he gets some playing time and shows he can at least be counted on. Ditto for TDP.
Should there be a concern. Seems he has been trailing when playing man more often than not. Noticed it with Raiders game and every game since. I wonder if there's something that's slowing him down. It just seems that if the pass rush doesn't hit home the perimeter is a liability lately. Yes. He had one decent PD in the end zone against DK but he also gave up a TD and some third downs too. IDK. BE interested to see what you all think?
Originally posted by 1ovydog:
Should there be a concern. Seems he has been trailing when playing man more often than not. Noticed it with Raiders game and every game since. I wonder if there's something that's slowing him down. It just seems that if the pass rush doesn't hit home the perimeter is a liability lately. Yes. He had one decent PD in the end zone against DK but he also gave up a TD and some third downs too. IDK. BE interested to see what you all think?

I think he has played well for a majority of the season and should bounce back this week.
  • thl408

DK is a big man and there isn't another physical beast WR remaining in the playoffs. Mooney is asked to play in a trail position because that's the assignment.
Originally posted by thl408:

DK is a big man and there isn't another physical beast WR remaining in the playoffs. Mooney is asked to play in a trail position because that's the assignment.

Bur he almost completely shut down DK in the regular season. So it didn't looked like overall he had problem with physical beast WR.

Does he have clear weakness on certain assignments?

Im going to say there should be no concern. When you play dominant for so many games, there's going to be some natural dropoff. He's getting the best of the best WRs in the playoffs. Do I wish he played better the past few games? Yes. But he seems like a guy who can rebound quickly and will take a bad performance personally. He'll aim to improve against the Bucs/Cowboys WRs
[ Edited by Silky on Jan 16, 2023 at 9:31 AM ]

• thl408
Originally posted by libertyforever:

Bur he almost completely shut down DK in the regular season. So it didn't looked like overall he had problem with physical beast WR.

What I mean is there will be reps where DK wins. It's not some middling WR that Mooney was dealing with. The bomb that beat Mooney was well thrown. Tip your cap and be glad there isn't another WR in the playoffs/NFL similar to DK.
Actually, there's Mike Evans.
[ Edited by thl408 on Jan 16, 2023 at 9:58 AM ]

What I mean is there will be reps where DK wins. It's not some middling WR that Mooney was dealing with. The bomb that beat Mooney was well thrown. Tip your cap and be glad there isn't another WR in the playoffs/NFL similar to DK.

It looked like he was playing to defend the back shoulder as it is the usual read/throw when the DB is even with the receiver. My concern is very low for Mooney

Got it. I am not too concern about him. He has been as consistent of a corner you can have all season. One game doesn't change that.

Agreed DK is bigger than bosa, dude a freak and he gonna get his, only receiver left I see close is aj brown of philly
  • thl408
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:

Agreed DK is bigger than bosa, dude a freak and he gonna get his, only receiver left I see close is aj brown of philly

AJ Brown is scary, yeah. DK is unique. If Mooney wanted to practice against someone with DK's build, he'd have to line up against Fred Warner .
Share 49ersWebzone