There are 134 users in the forums

Niners sign LB Oren Burks

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by kazak13:
I thought we are strapped for cap cash.. can't we draft someone cheaper and spend money for players that will actually make an impact?

Impacting ST is probably more valuable this year than a rotational LB like Fowles was last year.

Originally posted by NCommand:
If anything, it's a good sign they might be actually prioritizing ST now and listening to John Schneider's little brother. Now go get a returner!

I agree with both of these takes. Back to the Jim Harbaugh approach to special teams (which would be a GREAT thing).
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Hmmm liked him in college

+1 Spot starter and special teams
This is why the niners are super bowl favorites.
[ Edited by pdizo916 on Mar 15, 2022 at 12:07 PM ]
Had good combine numbers and im confident in our lb coaching. Might not be more than a ST player or might be a surprise contributer.
He's got some real physical skills...ST's for sure, but seems to have the pedigree to develop into more than that. Can't have too many great athletes and he surely seems like he's got that. Also heard they're looking to sign a returner...one name I heard was Jakeem Grant. He'd also bring some receiving skills and tremendous speed.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Coaching staff been pretty good with LB evaluation and development. Let's see what they can do for Burks

Excellent call!
He isn't very good.
Next year we will probably lose either Greenlaw or Aziz so this may be a move to partially offset one of those losses but mainly a great special teamer.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I like this move from a Special Teams standpoint. I don't know about you guys but every time we kicked the ball away and it wasn't a touchback I was holding my breathe. Burks is our Special Teams Ace (like Blake Costanzo with Harbaugh) and Hiring Schneider should mean a notable improvement in Special Teams play.

My issue is..

We had multiple impact starters leave that cannot be replaced by the draft.

And yet we pay special teams aces which clearly can be found in the draft.

I don't get it.

Originally posted by Waterbear:
My issue is..

I don't get it.

Seems backwards don't it
Originally posted by Waterbear:
My issue is..

I don't get it.

Outside of DJ and Laken we haven't really lost anything. I assume the Front office thought they had a replacement on the roster for Laken. We also would have been hard pressed to make them that kind of offer. Right now the DJ loss is the biggest but not at all irreplaceable.
Looked like a lot more than just a special teams guy out there tonight.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Looked like a lot more than just a special teams guy out there tonight.

Looked good IMO, as did Odum, and McCloud, and all the b***hing about signing ST Aces or key ST guys is ridiculous, we're hardly paying those 3 much APY wise, I'm pleased with Burks, and the newcomers.
  • q0c0p
  • Veteran
dude was everywhere tonight
Share 49ersWebzone