Originally posted by Young2Rice:
RELEASE THE DRAKEN

I'm on board with this one
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
RELEASE THE DRAKEN

I'm on board with this one

Me Rikey

Who has a better situation to walk in to? Trey or Drake?

So stoked for both!
Originally posted by NCommand:

So stoked for both!

Idk lol, Trey will start(yes I'm saying it), where Jackson will be in the rotation, hoping we found Aldon 2.0, except with all the off the field issues.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

So stoked for both!

Idk lol, Trey will start(yes I'm saying it), where Jackson will be in the rotation, hoping we found Aldon 2.0, except with all the off the field issues.

So stoked for both!

You sound optimistic about our offensive line. I hope so! lol

Imagine if this kid is legit, and Kinlaw finally flashes with full health.... our defensive line will be
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Hey Drake, just mimic that guy #97 opposite you.

not the injury part though ok
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

So stoked for both!

Nah, just hearing too much about how the 49ers aren't overwhelmed by Trey, I find it to be BS, and the media talking like Jimmy is gonna be back as starter, we've seen that story, and how it ends, we need better QB play.
This is exciting . From the athletic

Drake Jackson, Edge Defender, San Francisco 49ersScheme fit: Speed rushing nine-technique

Jackson's best skill, his speed rush off the edge, was severely underutilized at USC. But the 49ers still saw enough of it to select him with the 61st overall pick. San Francisco is committed to playing with wide nine techniques, meaning the defensive end aligns outside of tackles and tight ends to tear up the field and put vertical stress on offensive tackles.

Playing so wide, especially in an era of shotgun offenses, requires edge defenders to bend around tight corners to finish pressures with contact on the quarterback. Jackson has the best bend in the 2022 rookie class, and when speed isn't enough, he can keep tackles at bay with 34-inch arms and other counter moves.

From alignment alone, a wide nine technique is at a disadvantage in the run game because there's space to run into between the tackle and tight end. And to make things more difficult, San Francisco has found success by playing with two high safeties, which leaves one less player near the line of scrimmage to fit the run. Defensive coordinator DeMeco Ryans addresses these vulnerabilities by training his defensive line and linebackers to play with better effort and physicality than any other unit in the NFL, with each player in a full-on sprint to the football. Dropping Jackson into this ecosystem will get the best out of him, improving his ability as a run defender and rounding out his game. His vertical leap and broad jump numbers suggest he has enough explosiveness to convert speed into power and produce in the backfield.

For all the hemming and hawing about Travon Walker, Aidan Hutchinson, and Kayvon Thibodeaux during pre-draft process, don't be surprised if the 2022 season ends with Jackson as the most effective rookie edge rusher.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Drake Jackson, Edge Defender, San Francisco 49ersScheme fit: Speed rushing nine-technique

Jackson's best skill, his speed rush off the edge, was severely underutilized at USC. But the 49ers still saw enough of it to select him with the 61st overall pick. San Francisco is committed to playing with wide nine techniques, meaning the defensive end aligns outside of tackles and tight ends to tear up the field and put vertical stress on offensive tackles.

Playing so wide, especially in an era of shotgun offenses, requires edge defenders to bend around tight corners to finish pressures with contact on the quarterback. Jackson has the best bend in the 2022 rookie class, and when speed isn't enough, he can keep tackles at bay with 34-inch arms and other counter moves.

From alignment alone, a wide nine technique is at a disadvantage in the run game because there's space to run into between the tackle and tight end. And to make things more difficult, San Francisco has found success by playing with two high safeties, which leaves one less player near the line of scrimmage to fit the run. Defensive coordinator DeMeco Ryans addresses these vulnerabilities by training his defensive line and linebackers to play with better effort and physicality than any other unit in the NFL, with each player in a full-on sprint to the football. Dropping Jackson into this ecosystem will get the best out of him, improving his ability as a run defender and rounding out his game. His vertical leap and broad jump numbers suggest he has enough explosiveness to convert speed into power and produce in the backfield.

For all the hemming and hawing about Travon Walker, Aidan Hutchinson, and Kayvon Thibodeaux during pre-draft process, don't be surprised if the 2022 season ends with Jackson as the most effective rookie edge rusher.

I'm really excited about this kid. He's in the perfect spot and he knows it!

I'm really excited about this kid. He's in the perfect spot and he knows it!

Agree. Could/should really flourish
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

So stoked for both!

Imagine if this kid is legit, and Kinlaw finally flashes with full health.... our defensive line will be

Lots of question marks but compared to what most rookie-like QB's walk into, the rest of the team and philosophy is going tob take a lot off his plate initially.
  • 91til
  • Veteran

As an optimist by nature I'm going to do my best to not even hope for that but wow that would be awesome
Originally posted by 91til:

As an optimist by nature I'm going to do my best to not even hope for that but wow that would be awesome

That would be huge...no pun intended.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I don't like the Wide 9 against runs, for sure. The DT's in the wide 9 have to take on double teams in the run game and are essentially fighting out of position on runs.

Then again, most teams are pass happy now, and the Wide 9 allows stiffer but more explosive DE's to function because they don't have to bend as much from the Wide 9 DE position as typical 4-3 defenses or even under shifted 4-3 defenses. I've always analogized the Wide 9 to the left half of Seiferts 3-4 defense and copied the scheme of the left defensive rusher also to the right rusher and whalla - the Wide 9. Jackson at say 275 or 280, with those long arms, and that explosion and bend flexibility -- I agree, he looks to be an ideal right defensive end for Kocurek.
Share 49ersWebzone