There are 154 users in the forums

49ers select Spencer Burford-OT/OG-UTSA, 4th Round 2022 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by illinois9er:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Hopefully that works out because Banks might price himself out

Didn't even see this, definitely thought this could be something.

Article has an error though. This is not the last year of his rookie contract. He is signed thru next season.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Article has an error though. This is not the last year of his rookie contract. He is signed thru next season.

After the game I was wondering if he was a natural left guard. That answers my question. Yes hope we can keep him if he plays that well on the left side.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bassmanr:

After the game I was wondering if he was a natural left guard. That answers my question. Yes hope we can keep him if he plays that well on the left side.

This is great news! The more good offensive lineman we have, the more secure I feel about Brock's career. Both Andrew Luck and Drew Brees' careers were cut short because of some bad QB injuries.
Originally posted by Giedi:

This is great news! The more good offensive lineman we have, the more secure I feel about Brock's career. Both Andrew Luck and Drew Brees' careers were cut short because of some bad QB injuries.
Burford is a tricky guy. I would try to keep Banks as much as possible unless his price is just ridiculous
I trust Burford as far as I can throw him.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Burford is a tricky guy. I would try to keep Banks as much as possible unless his price is just ridiculous

I can't see Banks staying. Lenoir, Ward, Greenlaw, Hufanga, and Eli Mitchell are all up as well. Banks is good but not that good. I'd work on getting as many quality O-linemen on rookie deals as possible.

As for Burford, I was actually curious about him at tackle but it would be great if he could become the starting LG. His issues seemed more mental and I hope he can overcome that hurdle.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I can't see Banks staying. Lenoir, Ward, Greenlaw, Hufanga, and Eli Mitchell are all up as well. Banks is good but not that good. I'd work on getting as many quality O-linemen on rookie deals as possible.

As for Burford, I was actually curious about him at tackle but it would be great if he could become the starting LG. His issues seemed more mental and I hope he can overcome that hurdle.
I don't think I could ever trust him again
I don't want Burford on the left side, right side, anywhere. He's garbage. His instincts tell him not to block Chris Jones. What does that tell you?

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I don't want Burford on the left side, right side, anywhere. He's garbage. His instincts tell him not to block Chris Jones. What does that tell you?

In Burford's defense, I believe it was his first year being a starter on the OLine. He (hopefully) can grow from the experience.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
In Burford's defense, I believe it was his first year being a starter on the OLine. He (hopefully) can grow from the experience.
That was his second year as a starter.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

exactly what I said earlier, I trust him as far as I can throw him lol
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Agree, and I think they can draft another Puni/Banks in day two next year and you can start having some depth. They have had some decent drafting success in Banks and Puni, and I hated losing Kingston.
I've always liked Burford ability but he's just not been consistent at all and he's shown too many missteps but if he can turn the corner I'd be pumped we got him I believe in the fourth round

Agree, and I think they can draft another Puni/Banks in day two next year and you can start having some depth. They have had some decent drafting success in Banks and Puni, and I hated losing Kingston.
a lot of 2025 FA guards going to be available, RT/LT not so much for 2025. We will need to land a good tackle in the draft
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Sep 13, 2024 at 1:48 PM ]
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I've always liked Burford ability but he's just not been consistent at all and he's shown too many missteps but if he can turn the corner I'd be pumped we got him I believe in the fourth round

It was always too many mental mistakes. Watching how cerebral Puni is with his assignments is really a night and day difference.
Share 49ersWebzone