LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 209 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by tankle104:
I understand the narrative and patience that everyone's preaching regarding crowning anyone - what gets me the most about Purdy is how he ELEVATED the entire offenses play. Literally #1 in just about everything - we were a super efficient and scoring machine, while also maintaining aggressiveness in the play calling.

it was the first time in my life I've see a 49ers QB make the offense BETTER and not just a cog that tries to keep it all running.
it was probably the best feeling I've ever had watching 49ers football…a dominant and impressive qb who was hard to stop. Would hit you with dimes, misdirections, getting others open, buying time. Etc I've never seen it at that level by a 49ers qb. It's a beautiful thing.

I guess you aren't very old. I agree that he's the first in quite some time but I've seen others that were better. I hope you will some day too.
Yeah I'm 30, so not old but not super young either. the niners just haven't been relevant since the late 90s when I was a little kid and didn't really understand it the way I do now, if that makes sense.

Hopefully that makes some folks understand why my generation is so grateful for jimmy. He wasn't great but the best I've seen in this uniform (live). Lol
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 21, 2023 at 2:27 PM ]
Originally posted by eric_anthony:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Yeah he's got years and Super Bowls to win before tossing out GOAT comparisons. He played damn well though. He could be Montana or he could end up being Case Keenum all said a done (who actually had a full season of good QB play while in Minn).

that's why some people including myself say 7 starts and 170 passing attempts isn't enough to anoint him anything. Hopefully he gets completely healed and continues to ascend.

People are just so desperate for a FQB they're ready to anoint him after 7 starts. They're way too impatient.

Dude, so impatient. They won't even allow him to get 100% lol. Not even patient enough to allow that to be a legit thought/possibly.

also how many games does he get if he's not playing up to the standards he put out last yr? What if he tossing more INTs, starts holding onto the ball a little longer (taking hits/sacks) or just isn't the same after his injury? What 3 or 4 games? Nah they will "allow" him to develop for a full year lol….Lance? nope 100 random passes over 2 yrs. Not allowed to develop after that!

WeRe TrYING To wIn a SUPer BoWL! If you want a QB to develop he should be on a horrible team with a bad coach…literally that's what someone said 😂 like being on a good team hurts a young QB develop. You can't have a convo with people thinking like that.
Originally posted by eric_anthony:
Yeah he's got years and Super Bowls to win before tossing out GOAT comparisons. He played damn well though. He could be Montana or he could end up being Case Keenum all said a done (who actually had a full season of good QB play while in Minn).

that's why some people including myself say 7 starts and 170 passing attempts isn't enough to anoint him anything. Hopefully he gets completely healed and continues to ascend.

People are just so desperate for a FQB they're ready to anoint him after 7 starts. They're way too impatient.

Nobody is crowning anybody. Sorry if us crazy losers aren't going out of our way to slander our young QB that drew comparisons to Joe Montana and Patrick Mahomes and favor him over a complete unknown that has shown nothing at any high level of football
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
There you go, slandering Brock again lol

Definitely some underlying issue with him

I'm just using your narrative in the same way (you're the one that went that route first not me)…so you do hate Lance 🤔

What route? You're parading the Seahawks game around like Trey proved something special. He did not.

Then you brought up Brock and the Tampa game. I didn't bring that up. You did

You s**t on the competition he played and I copied your approach and showed you the team Brock played the best vs which was Tampa. Who stunk.

I said the team moved the ball well the last time he played…if you could read you would have saw that. You were too busy trying to s**t on him because you hate the kid. My point is this team can help support Lance while he develops or until Brock his 100%. They've been supporting all or QBs for over 5 years. Not the other way around.

Bringing up Tampa Bay was not the best example, sorry. They had a top 10 defense at the time and Purdy also lit up Washington who had an extremely good defense as well I believe it was top 5-6 at the time. Their DL was sick.

So when you mention a quarterback they are playing against a defense not an entire team. Horrible example. Lance was playing against a horrific Seattle defense and Purdy was playing against a top 10 Tampa defense. Context matters when making an argument.

Purdy was the HIGHEST rated passer out of any quarterback and we averaged the most points in the league with him starting. He did a good portion of it without Deebo Samuel. I love Trey Lance he will do awesome as well. However, let's not try to minimize what Purdy did just a prop up Trey and argue against people.

the real mic drop
I agree can't really argue that but then again here it is….
Top 10? Says who? They were injured as s**t that game. Down both starting safeties. No Shaq vita got hurt that game. They were like the 15th ranked pass D. Washington was 13th. Seattle 17th.

explain to me how passer rating comes about? I get s**t on for PFF all the time, but those same people toss out passer rating like it's some bullet proof stat.

I'm not saying Brock stinks or didn't play well. I'm saying our TEAM supported all our QBs for the past 5+ years, not the other way around. And yes while he didn't have Debbo for 3 games, he did have CMC/Kittle/BA. He has a much more cohesive OL unit at that point. Lance had only BA and a brand new IOL that's was still figuring s**t out.

I see no reason why the TEAM can't support Lance early this yr while he develops or until Brock gets completely healthy.
Now you're bringing up their pass defense specifically. You shouldn't really move the goalposts like that. I was talking about their overall defense. Tampa Bay safeties weren't that great anyway and you're acting like it was a major thing. I would say not having Deebo Samuel for part of the game more than cancels out the effect he would've had on that "injured" defense. TBs defense was very good at the time and Washingtons was very very good. You can't deny that. You should know of all people especially with Washington, their defensive line is amazing and makes their WHOLE defense a top unit.

Defenses play together you know you just can't separate one portion of it to try to prove your point which did not hold any water. If you want to try to twist around this that's fine but we all know those were two very good defenses that Brock Purdy lit the hell up. Nobody is even talking about Seattle so I don't know where you threw that in or why. I guess you're just trying to be right which you are not. It's cool though no big deal. We both want Lance to be awesome.

I want Lance to be a top 10 quarterback like we both thought he would be he just needs the reps. The problem is we are a contender right now and don't have time to lose games that we would've won if Purdy was playing because that could cost us home-field advantage or at least some home games in the playoffs which makes all the difference oftentimes

Hopefully he will do well the first couple games when Purdy is recovering and then he could run with the job from there. If not we still have a qb that has proven to be a top rated qb and can make this offense top 3 easily which he has already proven
Nobody is crowning anybody. Sorry if us crazy losers aren't going out of our way to slander our young QB that drew comparisons to Joe Montana and Patrick Mahomes and favor him over a complete unknown that has shown nothing at any high level of football

I gotta know who has been slandering the poor kid on here. Must have missed that.
I would have to go out of my way and off topic to bring up Trey if it were the same route and I did not. The offense moved the ball for a couple drives while Lance was in. Is that really something we need to write home about?

I know how dare we say anything positive of Lance. Grrr
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
TDP gets caught on a run and stopped in the RZ…then Jeff Wilson doesn't get in on a TD throw in the RZ grrr Trey Lance! Lol.

Same s**t in the Bears game. Beautiful throw, fade route to Jennings, who catches and slips to the ground (because the field was a mess) easy walk in TD if not for that. Grrr Lance! For sure he had some misses in his first start as QB1. That game was a mess all around. Our OL got beat all game. We had day 3 rookies beating Trent Williams for a sack. The brand new IOL look like a IOL that just started playing together. No safety valve in CMC, Mitchell hurt and Trey never got to play with Kittle. Half his throws came when the storm really started coming down, that without question hurt his stats. People hate nuance.

as far as Jimmy dude went all last post season without throwing a TD. Faithful is the CEO of his fan club lol. But yeah let's call out 17 plays worth of football without a TD

Also let's not forget that the Bears had 2 broken plays and if Jimmie Ward was healthy and playing I doubt either of those would've been for touchdowns and we win easily

Maybe. It's not like the defense didn't occasionally give up some easy TDs even when Ward was back.

True but Ward was not playing at free safety. There's a reason we call him the eraser because we were allowing the least plays over 20 yards.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
But yeah let's call out 17 plays worth of football without a TD

I didn't bring up the infamous 17 plays.. you did.. it's called blowing smoke.

you claim it is proof of something, but you also claim in other posts that you can't draw any conclusive takes, he hasn't played enough ball..

It's the last game we have of him playing…they moved the ball while he was under center. Sorry that bothers you.

I don't claim it's anything. Ya"ll act like everything he did was trash and we suck when he was back there. I'm pointing out that's not true.

you expect Mahomes day 1 and that's you're problem.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:

I gotta know who has been slandering the poor kid on here. Must have missed that.

Not a single person. The closest thing I did was use his narrative about Lance and apply it to Brock. 😡 he didn't like that lol.

Not a single person. The closest thing I did was use his narrative about Lance and apply it to Brock. 😡 he didn't like that lol.

Yeah right, NYniner85 - you DM me and said he was too short and you didn't like his hairline!

you're a monster!
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 21, 2023 at 2:36 PM ]

I would have to go out of my way and off topic to bring up Trey if it were the same route and I did not. The offense moved the ball for a couple drives while Lance was in. Is that really something we need to write home about?

I know how dare we say anything positive of Lance. Grrr

Come on man you're breathlessly blowing smoke about 5 qtrs of TD less football I'm just trying to keep it fair and balanced

There was some good there was also some stuff that Mike Martz saw and said this guy is a ways off.. so let's keep it real

BP if healthy I don't know how much TL gets in this offseason tbh, it would be BPs job most know that to be the case
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Mar 21, 2023 at 2:38 PM ]

It wasn't the first time you just brought Brock up out of nowhere to prop Trey. That's what I mean by slandering. It's always Trey vs Brock, Trey vs Darnold, Trey vs….. just think about the team for once. Remember neither of these QBs are even my #1 choice for next season
I agree can't really argue that but then again here it is….
Now you're bringing up their pass defense specifically. You shouldn't really move the goalposts like that. I was talking about their overall defense. Tampa Bay safeties weren't that great anyway and you're acting like it was a major thing. I would say not having Deebo Samuel for part of the game more than cancels out the effect he would've had on that "injured" defense. TBs defense was very good at the time and Washingtons was very very good. You can't deny that. You should know of all people especially with Washington, their defensive line is amazing and makes their WHOLE defense a top unit.

Defenses play together you know you just can't separate one portion of it to try to prove your point which did not hold any water. If you want to try to twist around this that's fine but we all know those were two very good defenses that Brock Purdy lit the hell up. Nobody is even talking about Seattle so I don't know where you threw that in or why. I guess you're just trying to be right which you are not. It's cool though no big deal. We both want Lance to be awesome.

I want Lance to be a top 10 quarterback like we both thought he would be he just needs the reps. The problem is we are a contender right now and don't have time to lose games that we would've won if Purdy was playing because that could cost us home-field advantage or at least some home games in the playoffs which makes all the difference oftentimes

Hopefully he will do well the first couple games when Purdy is recovering and then he could run with the job from there. If not we still have a qb that has proven to be a top rated qb and can make this offense top 3 easily which he has already proven

I mean Tampa wasn't top 10 overall regardless of pass D or rush D according to football outsiders. They were also down multiple starters on D. You talk about context well there ya go.

Antonio Winfield jr is a pro-bowler so yeah he is actually good and no being down one player on a already stacked list of play makers doesn't make up for missing their pro-bowl edge rusher and pro-bowler DT. Washington is good. I think most agreed Tampa was Brock's best performance overall. Hence why I brought it up.

lol what do you mean no one was talking about Seattle? That's how the convo started. You jumped in and added you thing, apparently you didn't read the post.

the whole we are a super contender thing is silly. What you don't think Brock has to develop all the same? He isn't some prime vet like Rogers out there. He played well in 6 starts. If you don't think he's gonna have ups and downs like damn near every young QB, well you're gonna be let down. He is absolutely developing all the same.

my posts have nothing to do with Brock vs Lance. I want both to be good. I don't care who starts. People act like 170 passing attempts for Brock equals Joe Montana or something. Likewise 100 passing attempts makes Lance Paxton lynch or something. The truth is no one knows yet…
It wasn't the first time you just brought Brock up out of nowhere to prop Trey. That's what I mean by slandering. It's always Trey vs Brock, Trey vs Darnold, Trey vs….. just think about the team for once. Remember neither of these QBs are even my #1 choice for next season

Brought Brock up? It's his damn thread 😂 you came in and slandered Lance and I used your same narrative about Brock…you didn't like that…I hurt Charlie's feelings 😢
"Quite honestly, if I was giving Brock advice, my advice would be don't prioritize game one. Prioritize the season. Prioritize your career."
Advice from Dr. Jeff Dugas, the orthopedic surgeon who performed the same UCL repair surgery on former Niners QB Nick Mullens.
Makes sense to me.
Share 49ersWebzone