LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 267 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
this was part of the Martz complaint. Martz was asked the #1 thing he looks for in a QB and he says accuracy. I think like any skill the more you do it the better you can get, no reason he can't throw a ton this summer and get better.

Was watching a thing on Randy Johnson, different sport of course, but I didn't realize he was a mediocre pitcher early on apparently he couldn't locate worth crap and had to acquire this. This is the kind of skill you can acquire just out on a field throwing the ball around, or with a coach changing your throw mechanics, you don't need regular season play time to work on this. BP was dotting ppl. It's one thing to complete it, it's another to put it right on guys.

Mike Martz loved JTO lol. Enough said
Originally posted by tankle104:
I was listening to a reporter who watch's camp on YouTube earlier and someone made the comment that you can't say Lance is inaccurate, not enough sample size.

lol dude was like he ABSOLUTELY has an issue. He said that Lance looked almost identical to how he did in the bears game all camp. Overall all camp he was 51% - now I know it's camp and doesn't mean much, but I did find it interesting that it translated into the game. The weather wasn't that bad until the fourth, I REALLY REALLY hope he improves in that this off season. I'd be thrilled

this was part of the Martz complaint. Martz was asked the #1 thing he looks for in a QB and he says accuracy. I think like any skill the more you do it the better you can get, no reason he can't throw a ton this summer and get better.

Was watching a thing on Randy Johnson, different sport of course, but I didn't realize he was a mediocre pitcher early on apparently he couldn't locate worth crap and had to acquire this. This is the kind of skill you can acquire just out on a field throwing the ball around, or with a coach changing your throw mechanics, you don't need regular season play time to work on this. BP was dotting ppl. It's one thing to complete it, it's another to put it right on guys.

I think with Lance it's more of mechanics and experience facing complex defenses. He's never had to. That isn't a knock, just a fact.

personally, I'm more in the school of thought that it's extremely rare for a QB to become very accurate. I've only seen Josh allen do it, which shocked me. He's even regressed to some of his bad habits without Daboll. It's very rare a qb improves on ball placement, accuracy, timing, touch. Etc by a large margin (like Lance needs). I think he can but I think it's more hopeful thinking than possibility.

i feel like it would take A LOT of playing and training to accomplish that, which I don't think Trey has here because of purdy. I could be totally wrong and we move forward with Lance overall but I just don't see that right now. I believe it took allen like 3 seasons, well in his third season. So two seasons of play - which he lost then a playoff game. They had like the best overall roster his second year in the league (minus a top WR).

accuracy is my favorite and important trait, next to clutch gene, and i hate having a QB who struggles with it. Makes me hold my breathe every pass.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 21, 2023 at 3:20 PM ]
Originally posted by elguapo:
I read the conversation just fine thanks. You actually brought up Seattle to prove a point how Trey was doing well when all of us know that Seattle's defense is absolutely atrocious especially against the run. Don't you remember them allowing 250 and 300 yard games? I guess not.

However, that's another bad example to use to prop up Trey. Just as using Tampa Bay was a bad example to minimize Brock. Anyways, getting past all the b******t which is pretty obvious, I am a huge Lance fan and as long as he does well the first two games or so hopefully he can keep the job. If he falters we have a top quarterback waiting in the wings

Either way I think we will win the Super Bowl this year, I just hope we can get home-field advantage

I brought up Lance's last start and how the TEAM played with him under center…it wasn't all dog s**t football like people in here try to pretend it was ..Extremely small sample size regardless.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Lol

he isn't Cosell.. but he did coach 40 years, walked our sideline, won a SB, was an NFL head coach with above 60 win percent.. etc, etc..

Lol

he isn't Cosell.. but he did coach 40 years, walked our sideline, won a SB, was an NFL head coach with above 60 win percent.. etc, etc..

Bill Walsh chose Giovanni carmazzi over Brady… enough said.
I think with Lance it's more of mechanics and experience facing complex defenses. He's never had to. That isn't a knock, just a fact.

personally, I'm more in the school of thought that it's extremely rare for a QB to become very accurate. I've only seen Josh allen do it, which shocked me. He's even regressed to some of his bad habits without Daboll. It's very rare a qb improves on ball placement, accuracy, timing, touch. Etc by a large margin (like Lance needs). I think he can but I think it's more hopeful thinking than possibility.

i feel like it would take A LOT of playing and training to accomplish that, which I don't think Trey has here because of purdy. I could be totally wrong and we move forward with Lance overall but I just don't see that right now. I believe it took allen like 3 seasons, well in his third season. So two seasons of play - which he lost then a playoff game. They had like the best overall roster his second year in the league (minus a top WR).

accuracy is my favorite and important trait, next to clutch gene, and i hate having a QB who struggles with it. Makes me hold my breathe every pass.

Allen was turning the corner in terms of production by the middle of his second year, and personally I think his accuracy improvement is one of the most overblown, casual, arguments made by people who probably weren't actually paying that much attention to him.

Go watch Josh Allen at Wyoming. The types of throws and plays he was making. His talent is on full display.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Allen was turning the corner in terms of production by the middle of his second year, and personally I think his accuracy improvement is one of the most overblown, casual, arguments made by people who probably weren't actually paying that much attention to him.

Go watch Josh Allen at Wyoming. The types of throws and plays he was making. His talent is on full display.

I'm not saying he wasn't talented - I did watch him his first two seasons and his accuracy was def a consistent weakness. Watch his playoff loss that year - it was bad..

I wasn't habitually following him but I watched a handful of games and his ball placement and consistency was an issue. At least the ones I saw.

the problem with all that time is his rookie contract wasted the great roster they had and now that he's paid (Diggs too), they don't have as good of a team. That's why lances situation is annoying overall. His rookie contract has been wasted because the time he has remaining, he needs to become good. If he did become good, we would have to immediately pay him.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 21, 2023 at 3:29 PM ]

Lol

Bill Walsh chose Giovanni carmazzi over Brady… enough said.

that's a good point..

and if we do visit the JTO in 2008, which is ancient history, but since NY brought it up, that was JTO preferred to Alex.. Alex was terrible back then, JTO was better at that time.. early on Alex was pretty non-functional.
I'm not saying he wasn't talented - I did watch him his first two seasons and his accuracy was def a consistent weakness. Watch his playoff loss that year - it was bad..

They didn't make the playoffs until his third season, where he finished 2nd in MVP voting.

I think Josh's problems were/are more related to decision making than ability to throw accurate passes. He carries the entire burden of the offense with the Bills, just as he did at Wyoming.

They didn't make the playoffs until his third season, where he finished 2nd in MVP voting.

I think Josh's problems were/are more related to decision making than ability to throw accurate passes. He carries the entire burden of the offense with the Bills, just as he did at Wyoming.

They've made the playoffs every year since 2019, that would be his Second year, right? I mixed up his draft a little bit ago, so I may be mistaken.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 21, 2023 at 3:31 PM ]

that's a good point..

and if we do visit the JTO in 2008, which is ancient history, but since NY brought it up, that was JTO preferred to Alex.. Alex was terrible back then, JTO was better at that time.. early on Alex was pretty non-functional.

Alex was certainly a terrible fit for a Mike Martz offense.
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
I agree can't really argue that but then again here it is….
Now you're bringing up their pass defense specifically. You shouldn't really move the goalposts like that. I was talking about their overall defense. Tampa Bay safeties weren't that great anyway and you're acting like it was a major thing. I would say not having Deebo Samuel for part of the game more than cancels out the effect he would've had on that "injured" defense. TBs defense was very good at the time and Washingtons was very very good. You can't deny that. You should know of all people especially with Washington, their defensive line is amazing and makes their WHOLE defense a top unit.

Defenses play together you know you just can't separate one portion of it to try to prove your point which did not hold any water. If you want to try to twist around this that's fine but we all know those were two very good defenses that Brock Purdy lit the hell up. Nobody is even talking about Seattle so I don't know where you threw that in or why. I guess you're just trying to be right which you are not. It's cool though no big deal. We both want Lance to be awesome.

I want Lance to be a top 10 quarterback like we both thought he would be he just needs the reps. The problem is we are a contender right now and don't have time to lose games that we would've won if Purdy was playing because that could cost us home-field advantage or at least some home games in the playoffs which makes all the difference oftentimes

Hopefully he will do well the first couple games when Purdy is recovering and then he could run with the job from there. If not we still have a qb that has proven to be a top rated qb and can make this offense top 3 easily which he has already proven

I mean Tampa wasn't top 10 overall regardless of pass D or rush D according to football outsiders. They were also down multiple starters on D. You talk about context well there ya go.

Antonio Winfield jr is a pro-bowler so yeah he is actually good and no being down one player on a already stacked list of play makers doesn't make up for missing their pro-bowl edge rusher and pro-bowler DT. Washington is good. I think most agreed Tampa was Brock's best performance overall. Hence why I brought it up.

lol what do you mean no one was talking about Seattle? That's how the convo started. You jumped in and added you thing, apparently you didn't read the post.

the whole we are a super contender thing is silly. What you don't think Brock has to develop all the same? He isn't some prime vet like Rogers out there. He played well in 6 starts. If you don't think he's gonna have ups and downs like damn near every young QB, well you're gonna be let down. He is absolutely developing all the same.

my posts have nothing to do with Brock vs Lance. I want both to be good. I don't care who starts. People act like 170 passing attempts for Brock equals Joe Montana or something. Likewise 100 passing attempts makes Lance Paxton lynch or something. The truth is no one knows yet…

I read the conversation just fine thanks. You actually brought up Seattle to prove a point how Trey was doing well when all of us know that Seattle's defense is absolutely atrocious especially against the run. Don't you remember them allowing 250 and 300 yard games? I guess not.

However, that's another bad example to use to prop up Trey. Just as using Tampa Bay was a bad example to minimize Brock. Anyways, getting past all the b******t which is pretty obvious, I am a huge Lance fan and as long as he does well the first two games or so hopefully he can keep the job. If he falters we have a top quarterback waiting in the wings

Either way I think we will win the Super Bowl this year, I just hope we can get home-field advantage

He gets laughed at for holding on to 17 plays in which Trey honestly did nothing great. Then out of nowhere s**ts on Brock's game against Tampa and says he's flipping our logic on us. Dude is lost lol

"He should've concurred"

Either way, we are going to have two quarterbacks that are capable of managing or winning games very easily. Especially Purdy who has already proven he's a motherf**ker to deal with. All we want is a damn Super Bowl and we will get it this year boys
They've made the playoffs every year since 2019, that would be his Second year, right? I mixed up his draft a little bit ago, so I may be mistaken.

You're correct. I forgot about the wild card game against the Texans.
that's a good point..

Are you trying to make me cry with those memories!? Lol dark days…

You're correct. I forgot about the wild card game against the Texans.

Regardless, he did make some pretty impressive progress in the accuracy dept. i wouldn't say he was inaccurate (like I would Lance). I would say he struggled to hit those dimes and great ball placement for his guys to have the best chance consistently like the best do.

allen wasn't air mailing it.

maybe that's what you mean?
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 21, 2023 at 3:35 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone