Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by eric_anthony:
Originally posted by RabidNiner:
Sir Lancelot the white knight is always working to ensure everyone knows that Trey is better, even though he lost to the worst team in the league in his only full game after being the anointed starter for a full offseason.

it's so damn old, and pathetic.

This post is pathetic and Lance wasn't the only reason they lost that game. How about Jimmy losing to the s**tty Broncos?

How about Deebo fumbling the ball away in the redzone? What about the defense giving up 2 deep TD's?

We're not allowed to discuss that

And god forbid we talk about Brock's tendencies and the things he needs to work on to stay ahead of the curve.

Sure, but dude hasn't lost a game and put up great numbers. Criticisms can come off as nitpicky.

Technically he did lose a game. He just hasn't lost a game he has finished. It is okay recognizing and discussing players strengths as well as weaknesses. There are some fans in here that refuse to accept that Brock does have weaknesses and DC's will find a way to take away his strengths and force him into his weaknesses. We saw that in the Dallas game and if it were not for Dak completely s**tting the bed, the outcome could very well have been different. Can't get away with putting up only 19 points against Patrick Mahomes or Jalen Hurts.

Can you locate these posts that claim Brock has no weaknesses?

Its the responses like the one just posted that call them nitpicking. Those posters are unable to accept and discuss them.

When you're over in the Trey thread acting like running it down Seattles throat for 17 plays while Trey was in is something that needs to be remembered and praised…..yea it comes off as nitpicking. People will not want to have that discussion when the motives are obvious

Lance deserves credit for the offense moving between the red zones (like any qb would) but he is not very good in the red-zone. His first trip (field goal - which is a common theme with him starting) and second one he got hurt before he could finish the drive.

I've watched every play of his in the game and he's very boom or bust and seriously struggles to move the ball through the air (accuracy issues). There were huge run chunk plays constantly and then Aiyuk with a Lot of YAC and one shorter pass near the end zone (didn't convert) and then a miss to deebos because lance was rushed by defenders.

we were moving the ball against Seattle but it's a stretch to say it was lance doing it. I've said it a million times on here, he plays like a game manager and not someone that elevates the offense (limited games). He didn't do much to help move the ball, or more importantly to score, outside of a few okay runs for a 4-6 yards, it was massive holes from the o line. He doesn't flash any sort of greatness that creates an awesome play for the team or anything. He's so far, just tried to operate within the offense and struggled mightily. When players have superstar potential, it flashes in the game, even if they're struggling in other depts.

he essentially was playing like Jimmy with less accuracy

So sure, we moved the ball with him under center and he deserves credit for being A PART of that but he wasn't some crazy play maker out there, dropping dimes, or juking anyone.

It's deceiving to list the plays/yards without context.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 22, 2023 at 7:54 AM ]
Sir Lancelot the white knight is always working to ensure everyone knows that Trey is better, even though he lost to the worst team in the league in his only full game after being the anointed starter for a full offseason.

This post is pathetic and Lance wasn't the only reason they lost that game. How about Jimmy losing to the s**tty Broncos?

How about Deebo fumbling the ball away in the redzone? What about the defense giving up 2 deep TD's?

And god forbid we talk about Brock's tendencies and the things he needs to work on to stay ahead of the curve.

Sure, but dude hasn't lost a game and put up great numbers. Criticisms can come off as nitpicky.

Technically he did lose a game. He just hasn't lost a game he has finished. It is okay recognizing and discussing players strengths as well as weaknesses. There are some fans in here that refuse to accept that Brock does have weaknesses and DC's will find a way to take away his strengths and force him into his weaknesses. We saw that in the Dallas game and if it were not for Dak completely s**tting the bed, the outcome could very well have been different. Can't get away with putting up only 19 points against Patrick Mahomes or Jalen Hurts.

Its the responses like the one just posted that call them nitpicking. Those posters are unable to accept and discuss them.

When you're over in the Trey thread acting like running it down the Seattles throat for 17 plays while Trey was in is something that's needs to be remembered and praised…..yea it comes off as nitpicking. People will not want to have that discussion when the motives are obvious

If you read through that thread, you will see posts of me discussing his strengths as well as his weaknesses. You will see me giving him praise as well as criticism. You will find the same thing in the Jimmy thread. I will also continue to do the same here and in the Trey thread. In fact, if you go through the weeks that Brock was starting, you will see a whole lot of praise and stats to back up the praise I expressed for Brock. So don't try to make this out to be that I am defending Trey while beating down Brock. I have said many times that I like both QB's and would love nothing more than for both to be successful.

Well there's a crowd that is much harder on Brock than Trey. They wanted Brock to win the SB to keep the starting job, but now as long as Trey gets carried to a few wins he's the starter. It's that kind of lopsidedness that turns people off to the Purdy nitpickers

Who said this? I remember having a discussion with someone about what criteria Trey would need to meet in order for Trey to keep the job when Brock was healthy. The response I received was far less than concrete and highly open ended so that the goal posts could continue to move. I don't want the team to carry any QB. I thought that was one of the biggest reasons why we moved on from Jimmy. I am, however, against inserting Brock inspite of Trey, if Trey is playing well and the team is winning.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Mar 22, 2023 at 7:49 AM ]
Originally posted by tankle104:

When you're over in the Trey thread acting like running it down Seattles throat for 17 plays while Trey was in is something that needs to be remembered and praised…..yea it comes off as nitpicking. People will not want to have that discussion when the motives are obvious

Lance deserves credit for the offense moving between the red zones (like any qb would) but he is not very good in the red-zone. His first trip (field goal - which is a common theme with him starting) and second one he got hurt before he could finish the drive.

I've watched every play of his in the game and he's very boom or bust and seriously struggles to move the ball through the air (accuracy issues). There were huge run chunk plays constantly and then Aiyuk with a Lot of YAC and one shorter pass near the end zone (didn't convert) and then a miss to deebos because he was rushed by defenders.

we were moving the ball against Seattle but it's a stretch to say it was lance doing it. I've said it a million times on here, he plays like a game manager and not someone that elevates the offense (limited games). He didn't do much to help move the ball, or more importantly to score, outside of a few okay runs for a 4-6 yards, it was massive holes from the o line. He doesn't flash any sort of greatness that creates an awesome play for the team or anything. He's so far, just tried to operate within the offense and struggled mightily. When players have superstar potential, it flashes in the game, even if they're struggling in other depts.

So sure, we moved the ball with him under center and he deserves credit for being A PART of that but he wasn't some crazy play maker out there, dropping dimes, or juking anyone.

Yea it really doesn't deserve the praise it gets. The same people praising those plays will turn around and knock Brock for winning a bloodbath playoff game, in which he never flinched, against a top defense

I think Trey would have to be an incredible talent to pull off what they're trying to do. The type of talent that would show something in 4 games. I think we gambled big and lost. It's ok, I like gambling big lol

When you're over in the Trey thread acting like running it down the Seattles throat for 17 plays while Trey was in is something that's needs to be remembered and praised…..yea it comes off as nitpicking. People will not want to have that discussion when the motives are obvious

If you read through that thread, you will see posts of me discussing his strengths as well as his weaknesses. You will see me giving him praise as well as criticism. You will find the same thing in the Jimmy thread. I will also continue to do the same here and in the Trey thread. In fact, if you go through the weeks that Brock was starting, you will see a whole lot of praise and stats to back up the praise I expressed for Brock. So don't try to make this out to be that I am defending Trey while beating down Brock. I have said many times that I like both QB's and would love nothing more than for both to be successful.

Well there's a crowd that is much harder on Brock than Trey. They wanted Brock to win the SB to keep the starting job, but now as long as Trey gets carried to a few wins he's the starter. It's that kind of lopsidedness that turns people off to the Purdy nitpickers

Who said this? I remember having a discussion with someone about what criteria Trey would need to meet in order for Trey to keep the job when Brock was healthy. The response I received was far less than concrete and highly open ended so that the goal posts could continue to move. I don't want the team to carry any QB. I thought that was one of the biggest reasons why we moved on from Jimmy. I am, however, against inserting Brock inspite of Trey, if Trey is playing well and the team is winning.

I remember the conversation, and it was explained to you why there can't be concrete numbers to reach. If we say Trey needs to match Brock and he ends up playing much better defenses, then it wouldn't be fair. The games have to be played to know what I'd expect from Trey in those games.

I've watched every play of his in the game and he's very boom or bust and seriously struggles to move the ball through the air (accuracy issues). There were huge run chunk plays constantly and then Aiyuk with a Lot of YAC and one shorter pass near the end zone (didn't convert) and then a miss to deebos because he was rushed by defenders.

Yea it really doesn't deserve the praise it gets. The same people praising those plays will turn around and knock Brock for winning a bloodbath playoff game, in which he never flinched, against a top defense

I think Trey would have to be an incredible talent to pull off what they're trying to do. The type of talent that would show something in 4 games. I think we gambled big and lost. It's ok, I like gambling big lol

I really don't think Lance will be a bad qb in this league, he belongs and will carve himself out a nice career but I don't think he will become a superstar or big time playmaker. He will take what the defense gives him and in a few years, won't be able to run the ball or want to, because his body will be breaking down (just like every qb who runs the balls consistently and I don't blame him).

im not going to say he NEVER will. He could absolutely prove me wrong because it is such a small sample size. I only see that happening if Brock has lingering issues from his recovery.
outside of that or another injury to Brock, I think he's out of time here to grow. Who knows though. I'm just speculating
he could come into camp blazing and prove a lot of us wrong and get the coaches hard again. Never
know with a 49ers qb. Lmao

out of all those yards and plays, Lance ran 3 times for 13 yards (4.3 average) and 2/3 on pass plays for 30 yards. His average completed pass was like 6 yards - rest was YAC (not because of good ball placement, but Aiyuk juked his defender and almost had to completely stop). So let's stop acting like Lance was play making out there. he played very similar to how Jimmy did but with less accuracy.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 22, 2023 at 8:07 AM ]

I remember the conversation, and it was explained to you why there can't be concrete numbers to reach. If we say Trey needs to match Brock and he ends up playing much better defenses, then it wouldn't be fair. The games have to be played to know what I'd expect from Trey in those games.

That explanation makes no sense at all. Trey has no control over the schedule. If he is playing well and the team is winning, there would be 0 reason to pull him. The level competition would be irrelevant.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Mar 22, 2023 at 8:05 AM ]

That explanation makes no sense at all. Trey has no control over the schedule. If he is playing well and the team is winning, there would be 0 reason to pull him. The level competition would be irrelevant.

I think what he is saying is you have to look at the game and all the context in it to judge if Lance is playing well, not just the stat line. He could have 180 yards passing and 1 touchdown and 1 int and depending on the context Of the game, could be a really good game.

int May of been a great throw and placement but the WR popped it up in the air, meanwhile, we were blowing them out/they have a top defense and Lance was crisp throwing it and converting key 3rd
downs to keep our offense going. Etc. it's not just about numbers.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 22, 2023 at 8:15 AM ]

I really don't think Lance will be a bad qb in this league, he belongs and will carve himself out a nice career but I don't think he will become a superstar or big time playmaker. He will take what the defense gives him and in a few years, won't be able to run the ball or want to, because his body will be breaking down (just like every qb who runs the balls consistently and I don't blame him).

im not going to say he NEVER will. He could absolutely prove me wrong because it is such a small sample size. I only see that happening if Brock has lingering issues from his recovery.
outside of that or another injury to Brock, I think he's out of time here to grow. Who knows though. I'm just speculating
he could come into camp blazing and prove a lot of us wrong and get the coaches hard again. Never
know with a 49ers qb. Lmao

out of all those yards and plays, Lance ran 3 times for 13 yards (4.3 average) and 2/3 on pass plays for 30 yards. His average completed pass was like 6 yards - rest was YAC (not because of good ball placement, but Aiyuk juked his defender and almost had to completely stop). So let's stop acting like Lance was play making out there. he played very similar to how Jimmy did but with less accuracy.

Yea I mean he has a chance, but it will take 3 years playing minimum. That's how long it takes raw QBs that played the position their whole life and at high level colleges. Youre right, it will take another Purdy injury/major regression for him to get a chance to continue his development here

I'm sorry if evaluating the context of games and considering the competition played does not make sense to you. It does to me
Yea I mean he has a chance, but it will take 3 years playing minimum. That's how long it takes raw QBs that played the position their whole life and at high level colleges. Youre right, it will take another Purdy injury/major regression for him to get a chance to continue his development here

I really don't think we've ever seen a more raw qb get drafted so high (nor traded a ransom to move up for). That's the part that I struggle to understand. That's like the riskiest type of draft pick/trade up that is possible. It's almost like we saw a big kid who has a strong arm and is fast running a 40 off the street and traded a s**tload to draft him. Like his football career was irrelevant.

the amount of reps, games, and level of competition he has in his life is… astonishingly low.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 22, 2023 at 8:17 AM ]

I think what he is saying is you have to look at the game and all the context in it to judge if Lance is playing well, not just the stat line. He could have 180 yards passing and 1 touchdown and 1 int and depending on the context Of the game, could be a really good game.

int May of been a great throw and placement but the WR popped it up in the air, meanwhile, we were blowing them out and Lance was crisp throwing it and converting key 3rd
downs to keep our offense going. Etc. it's not just about numbers.

Brock had exactly 1 game where he threw over 250 yards. I would not use total yards to judge either of them. Especially in a system that is as balanced as Kyle's. I would use 1st down%, 3rd conversion rate, TD%, TWP% and how they perform when pressured.
Brock had exactly 1 game where he threw over 250 yards. I would not use total yards to judge either of them. Especially in a system that is as balanced as Kyle's. I would use 1st down%, 3rd conversion rate, TD%, TWP% and how they perform when pressured.

I agree with that and think that's fair. Those are all very key statistics when evaluating a true performance, although other stats could be applied as well.

Brock was excellent in those areas and I really hope he makes a full recovery and is the young man we all saw last season and not a broken armed one 😭

I agree with that and think that's fair. Those are all very key statistics when evaluating a true performance, although other stats could be applied as well.

Brock was excellent in those areas and I really hope he makes a full recovery and is the young man we all saw last season and not a broken armed one 😭

What other stats would you use?

I hope Brock does become the next Joe Montana but he still has a long ways to go.

I really don't think we've ever seen a more raw qb get drafted so high (nor traded a ransom to move up for). That's the part that I struggle to understand. That's like the riskiest type of draft pick/trade up that is possible.

the amount of reps, games, and level of competition he has in his life is… astonishingly low.

I mean honestly I get the plan once we traded up. He's still the QB I'd pick in that situation. Where the real mistake was made was trading up in the first place. Traded 3 firsts to choose between Mac, Trey, and Fields and none of them were worth it. Which is why we said F it and went for home run.

This team is also more stacked than they imagined it would be. They are ready to win the SB tomorrow and it's hard to just let a kid learn in that circumstance

What other stats would you use?

I hope Brock does become the next Joe Montana but he still has a long ways to go.

Hmm well I said that because I wouldn't say those are the only stats that people can look at to evaluate a performance, for me personally?, i think you can learn a lot by watching them play. Such as was he moving linebackers/safety with his eyes? (Aka making a play), how well does he execute PA (fooling defenses and responds to turning his back to the play), how efficiently does he get the team to the line and execute a play, how well does he read the defense pre snap/call effective audibles? Even though he completed a pass - how was the ball placement and touch? Because you can be like Geno smith and complete 70% but they're all super safe plays instead of hitting tight windows and getting nice chunk plays through the air (it's why QBs like him are awful against the good defenses)- not just taking what the defense gives underneath (that's what game managers do all the time. I like to see if the qb has the confidence and ability to make the tough throws and hit tight windows consistently to push the offense downfield. Those are just a few things I think are important to being a great player and not a game manager. I want more than what we've had for the last 20+ years. The top 5 qb type of play
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 22, 2023 at 8:30 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone