There are 181 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Yea I mean he has a chance, but it will take 3 years playing minimum. That's how long it takes raw QBs that played the position their whole life and at high level colleges. Youre right, it will take another Purdy injury/major regression for him to get a chance to continue his development here

I really don't think we've ever seen a more raw qb get drafted so high (nor traded a ransom to move up for). That's the part that I struggle to understand. That's like the riskiest type of draft pick/trade up that is possible.

the amount of reps, games, and level of competition he has in his life is… astonishingly low.

I mean honestly I get the plan once we traded up. He's still the QB I'd pick in that situation. Where the real mistake was made was trading up in the first place. Traded 3 firsts to choose between Mac, Trey, and Fields and none of them were worth it. Which is why we said F it and went for home run.

This team is also more stacked than they imagined it would be. They are ready to win the SB tomorrow and it's hard to just let a kid learn in that circumstance

I respect your opinion on it. I personally wanted fields and think he would be doing some special things with us. He's just on a crap team with 0 talent around him, yet has shown flashes of greatness. He fits the mold of everything you'd want in a mobile qb. Hes the most elusive qb behind lamar, great processing ability, damn good arm, good leader, super competitive, smart.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Brock had exactly 1 game where he threw over 250 yards. I would not use total yards to judge either of them. Especially in a system that is as balanced as Kyle's. I would use 1st down%, 3rd conversion rate, TD%, TWP% and how they perform when pressured.

I agree with that and think that's fair. Those are all very key statistics when evaluating a true performance, although other stats could be applied as well.

Brock was excellent in those areas and I really hope he makes a full recovery and is the young man we all saw last season and not a broken armed one 😭

What other stats would you use?

I hope Brock does become the next Joe Montana but he still has a long ways to go.

Hmm well I said that because that because I wouldn't say those are the only stats that people can look at to evaluate a performance, for me personally?, i think you can learn a lot by watching them play. Such as was be moving linebackers/safety with his eyes? (Aka making a play), how well does he execute PA, how efficiently does he get the team to the line and execute a play, how well does he read the defense pre snap? Even tonight he completed a pass - how was the ball placement and touch? Because you can be like Geno smith and complete 70% but they're all super safe plays instead of hitting tight windows and getting nice chunk plays through the air - not just taking what the defense gives underneath (that's what game managers do all the time. I like to see if the qb has the confidence and ability to make the tough throws and hit tight windows consistently to push the offense downfield. Those are just a few things I think are important to being a great player and not a game manager. I want more than what we've had for the last 20+ years. The top 5 qb type of play

Most of what you said, Trey has shown to be able to do those things such as moving defenders with his eyes, executing playaction and his command of the huddle and LOS. He also opts to take the more difficult throws over the easy dump offs. I would like to see Trey become more consistent with the things that Brock does well. Like screens, hitches, comebacks and slants. The plays that are highly reliant on timing and precision footwork.

For Brock, I would like to see him bale out of a clean pocket less often, step up when the pocket is clean and step into his deep passes. He more times than not bales to his left. That is a tendency that everyone can see plain as day. He also began to drift back when pressured as shown in both the Seattle and Dallas playoff games. I would also like to see him work on throwing to his right more often. Not only did the stats demonstrate that he throws to the right far less than to the left but his completion % to the right would indicate that he may be less accurate throwing to that side.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Mar 22, 2023 at 8:43 AM ]
Yea I mean he has a chance, but it will take 3 years playing minimum. That's how long it takes raw QBs that played the position their whole life and at high level colleges. Youre right, it will take another Purdy injury/major regression for him to get a chance to continue his development here

I really don't think we've ever seen a more raw qb get drafted so high (nor traded a ransom to move up for). That's the part that I struggle to understand. That's like the riskiest type of draft pick/trade up that is possible.

the amount of reps, games, and level of competition he has in his life is… astonishingly low.

I mean honestly I get the plan once we traded up. He's still the QB I'd pick in that situation. Where the real mistake was made was trading up in the first place. Traded 3 firsts to choose between Mac, Trey, and Fields and none of them were worth it. Which is why we said F it and went for home run.

This team is also more stacked than they imagined it would be. They are ready to win the SB tomorrow and it's hard to just let a kid learn in that circumstance

I respect your opinion on it. I personally wanted fields and think he would be doing some special things with us. He's just on a crap team with 0 talent around him, yet has shown flashes of greatness. He fits the mold of everything you'd want in a mobile qb. Hes the most elusive qb behind lamar, great processing ability, damn good arm, good leader, super competitive, smart.

I have to say Fields has surprised me, but I still like that idea of Treys ceiling more than what I think Fields will be lol. Dude is absolutely electric though and could definitely change my mind this season

I have to say Fields has surprised me, but I still like that idea of Treys ceiling more than what I think Fields will be lol. Dude is absolutely electric though and could definitely change my mind this season

The Bears need to get the right talent around him and then bring in a good QB coach. They can't keep running Fields as much as he has been the last 2 seasons.

His knock was that he doesn't process well, came from a 1-2 read option at OSU, also questions about his leadership.

With that said I also wanted Fields.
Most of what you said, Trey has shown to be able to do those things such as moving defenders with his eyes, executing playaction and his command of the huddle and LOS. He also opts to take the more difficult throws over the easy dump offs. I would like to see Trey become more consistent with the things that Brock does well. Like screens, hitches, comebacks and slants. The plays that are highly reliant on timing and precision footwork.

For Brock, I would like to see him bale out of a clean pocket less often, step up when the pocket is clean and step into his deep passes. He more times than not bales to his left. That is a tendency that everyone can see plain as day. He also began to drift back when pressured as shown in both the Seattle and Dallas playoff games. I would also like to see him work on throwing to his right more often. Not only did the stats demonstrate that he throws to the right far less than to the left but his completion % to the right would indicate that he may be less accurate throwing to that side.

I disagree on your assessment of Lance but that's okay. I'll have to watch his film more before I have a debate about it. From what I've seen, I strongly disagree, but I want to do some more research before I put my foot down for a debate. Lol I'm not saying he can't or incapable, I just don't have any recollection of him doing those things. I'll look into it though, I may be wrong.

regarding Brock's leaving clean pockets early, initially I thought people were just making that up, but as the games went on - he definitely was. He was also doing it to the same side and defenses were trying to bait him into that. He did get better at it towards the end but since he got hurt, we weren't able to tell if he would start doing it again.
He can definitely improve on throwing to his right and/or doing it more consistent. Those bad habits of his are what would of made future games more difficult for him if he didn't adjust. Frank pagano (I think that's his name, former coach of the colts) said it takes about 2 games of film on a qb to have a good gameplan. So I find that interesting that he was still super effective and adjust as the game adjusted him, gave me a lot of confidence. He doesn't usually make the same mistake twice, and when he makes a mistake, he knows he did almost immediately. I love that quality.
^none of what I said about Brock are shots at Lance, I'm strictly talking about Brock and his body of work alone.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 22, 2023 at 9:09 AM ]
When the bears got him, I was kinda bummed because a crap team/coach like they have can break a young qb.

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
The Bears need to get the right talent around him and then bring in a good QB coach. They can't keep running Fields as much as he has been the last 2 seasons.
I agree. They're going to destroy him physically before they get talent around him and it'll be sad. I will say, I did like some of the moves they've made this off-season.

Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
His knock was that he doesn't process well, came from a 1-2 read option at OSU, also questions about his leadership.

With that said I also wanted Fields.

Yeah, OSU QBs tend to struggle the transition to the pros cause of the simplicity in their system. When I said good processing - he took the same type of mental aptitude test Brock did and scored extremely high as well when it came to processing the game, I really like that quality about any qb.

hmm interesting about the leadership, I'll have to read up on what his current teammates have said. He does seem pissed and super serious all the time. Idk if I've seen him smile. Hahaha

They definitely need to slow down, but his rushing is such a weapon it's hard to just leave it on the shelf. That's something that worries me with Fields, he's almost too good of an athlete to just settle back there and not take the easy way out. We'll see how he progresses, he certainly has the talent

They definitely need to slow down, but his rushing is such a weapon it's hard to just leave it on the shelf. That's something that worries me with Fields, he's almost too good of an athlete to just settle back there and not take the easy way out. We'll see how he progresses, he certainly has the talent
The only qb I didn't want was Zach Wilson. Lol super talented but the guy is as mature as a 13
Year old boy from a super wealthy family (Ike he is). I wonder if he is part of the Rodgers deal. I wouldnt of loved Mac but understood it. My favorite was obviously Lawrence. Haha but that was impossible to get.

the coach will continue to do it cause he will get fired if they don't win, which is a shame. Ownership needs to be patient like ours was when your team is in that bad of shape (us 2017). It's really important to know that you won't be fired for doing what's best for the overall team in the long run for sustainability.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 22, 2023 at 9:13 AM ]
That explanation makes no sense at all. Trey has no control over the schedule. If he is playing well and the team is winning, there would be 0 reason to pull him. The level competition would be irrelevant.

This

I disagree on your assessment of Lance but that's okay. I'll have to watch his film more before I have a debate about it. From what I've seen, I strongly disagree, but I want to do some more research before I put my foot down for a debate. Lol

regarding Brock's leaving clean pockets early, initially I thought people were just making that up, but as the games went on - he definitely was. He was also doing it to the same side and defenses were trying to bait him into that. He did get better at it towards the end but since he got hurt, we weren't able to tell if he would start doing it again.
He can definitely improve on throwing to his right and/or doing it more consistent. Those bad habits of his are what would of made future games more difficult for him if he didn't adjust. Frank pagano (I think that's his name, former coach of the colts) said it takes about 2 games of film on a qb to have a good gameplan. So I find that interesting that he was still super effective and adjust as the game adjusted him, gave me a lot of confidence. He doesn't usually make the same mistake twice, and when he makes a mistake, he knows he did almost immediately. I love that quality.
^none of what I said about Brock are shots at Lance, I'm strictly talking about Brock and his body of work alone.

Its okay that you don't agree with me about Trey but those have been my personal observations. His footwork and subsequently timing routes have been a weakness of his and imo are why he hasn't looked as good as Jimmy or Brock in Shanny's offense. Shanny's offense has its roots deep in the WCO and those timing routes are a staple of it.

As far as Brock's tendencies, he was still baling left as late as the Dallas game. Not enough of a sample size in the eagles game to determine whether he corrected that or not. I also like how Brock is able to make adjustments on the fly. That was a reason he sustained the level of play he was playing at for as long as he did. But he did not learn from all of his mistakes or correct all of his tendencies. He corrected just enough of them to continue to have sustained success.
Well there's a crowd that is much harder on Brock than Trey. They wanted Brock to win the SB to keep the starting job, but now as long as Trey gets carried to a few wins he's the starter. It's that kind of lopsidedness that turns people off to the Purdy nitpickers

Who's saying that? You're on your own little planet tossing out make believe narratives.

the truth of all of it is both QBs have an incredibly small sample size to come to any sort of conclusion on who they are…You can't stand that.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by eric_anthony:
Originally posted by RabidNiner:
Sir Lancelot the white knight is always working to ensure everyone knows that Trey is better, even though he lost to the worst team in the league in his only full game after being the anointed starter for a full offseason.

it's so damn old, and pathetic.

This post is pathetic and Lance wasn't the only reason they lost that game. How about Jimmy losing to the s**tty Broncos?

How about Deebo fumbling the ball away in the redzone? What about the defense giving up 2 deep TD's?

We're not allowed to discuss that

And god forbid we talk about Brock's tendencies and the things he needs to work on to stay ahead of the curve.

Sure, but dude hasn't lost a game and put up great numbers. Criticisms can come off as nitpicky.

Technically he did lose a game. He just hasn't lost a game he has finished. It is okay recognizing and discussing players strengths as well as weaknesses. There are some fans in here that refuse to accept that Brock does have weaknesses and DC's will find a way to take away his strengths and force him into his weaknesses. We saw that in the Dallas game and if it were not for Dak completely s**tting the bed, the outcome could very well have been different. Can't get away with putting up only 19 points against Patrick Mahomes or Jalen Hurts.

Can you locate these posts that claim Brock has no weaknesses?

Its the responses like the one just posted that call them nitpicking. Those posters are unable to accept and discuss them.

When you're over in the Trey thread acting like running it down the Seattles throat for 17 plays while Trey was in is something that's needs to be remembered and praised…..yea it comes off as nitpicking. People will not want to have that discussion when the motives are obvious

If you read through that thread, you will see posts of me discussing his strengths as well as his weaknesses. You will see me giving him praise as well as criticism. You will find the same thing in the Jimmy thread. I will also continue to do the same here and in the Trey thread. In fact, if you go through the weeks that Brock was starting, you will see a whole lot of praise and stats to back up the praise I expressed for Brock. So don't try to make this out to be that I am defending Trey while beating down Brock. I have said many times that I like both QB's and would love nothing more than for both to be successful.

Well there's a crowd that is much harder on Brock than Trey. They wanted Brock to win the SB to keep the starting job, but now as long as Trey gets carried to a few wins he's the starter. It's that kind of lopsidedness that turns people off to the Purdy nitpickers

Who said this? I remember having a discussion with someone about what criteria Trey would need to meet in order for Trey to keep the job when Brock was healthy. The response I received was far less than concrete and highly open ended so that the goal posts could continue to move. I don't want the team to carry any QB. I thought that was one of the biggest reasons why we moved on from Jimmy. I am, however, against inserting Brock inspite of Trey, if Trey is playing well and the team is winning.

Surpass Brock's performance from last year. The bar has been set.
Its okay that you don't agree with me about Trey but those have been my personal observations. His footwork and subsequently timing routes have been a weakness of his and imo are why he hasn't looked as good as Jimmy or Brock in Shanny's offense. Shanny's offense has its roots deep in the WCO and those timing routes are a staple of it.

As far as Brock's tendencies, he was still baling left as late as the Dallas game. Not enough of a sample size in the eagles game to determine whether he corrected that or not. I also like how Brock is able to make adjustments on the fly. That was a reason he sustained the level of play he was playing at for as long as he did. But he did not learn from all of his mistakes or correct all of his tendencies. He corrected just enough of them to continue to have sustained success.

I'll look into it though. I may be wrong and have missed it when he did. It's really easy to miss when a qb moves linebscks/safety's with their eyes because of camera angles. The only real reason I notice it with Brock is cause they show replays pointing it out or it was a camera angle I could see it.

he was doing it early for sure, I felt like he cleaned it up more in the second half - if I remember correctly. I agree that he didn't. That's what bums me out the most about his injury, im pretty sure he will be fine with his UCL, but the time he could of had to improve those things just stunt his growth. Same thing with lances injuries. Sucks cause it stunts the growth.
If Brock is actually healthy and able to participate in legit training camp. He's more than likely the starter. If he's not then Lance will be…after that it's anyone guess what happens.

that's the reality of the situation and anyone trying to argue that are the ones with a bias narrative to push…period.
Share 49ersWebzone