There are 161 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
The ones who think Darnold should, clearly have the narrative. He's a failed QB for 5 years. He's got a resume of bad football that spans over 50 starts. SF could have signed Tim Tebow and you'd be saying the same thing…because your own bias anti-lance crap.

He's a lot like TL in that they were both very young and #3 overall. Difference is TL went to a Rolls Royce org and Darnold went to a clown car. TL had his big year to show what he could do and got hurt early on, so he gets an incomplete DNF grade. We all saw BP was killing it with this roster / talent. I haven't seen much of TL as he hasn't played much. I have seen more of Darnold, cuz he's played more, and I think he could do well with this stacked roster, you know who agrees.. KS and JL, that's why they hired him..
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Surpass Brock's performance from last year. The bar has been set.

What happens if Brock doesn't sustain or surpass his performance from last year? How many games does he get? Just curious.

1-2. It should be obvious pretty quickly whether or not Brock has the same magic he did in 2022. Just like how it was pretty obvious early in 2018 that the magic Jimmy had in 2017 was gone. Brock has neither the draft pedigree nor an extended history of high performance to justify sticking with him if he doesn't perform as well as he did last year.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
we are getting in the weeds here..

how about best guy for QB1 gets the job, which will be reality, thank you KS

Remember JG in 2017.. could be years before we see QB play on the level of BP last season, it doesn't happen every year

I think that's absolutely a fair question. If Brock doesn't continue on the same path as last yr…how much time do you give him? You gave Lance 30 passing attempts before changing how you felt about him heading into the 2022 season.

everyone in here is assuming that's what gonna happen (him playing at a high level)…the whole we want to win a Super Bowl stance….we can't "develop" a QB 🥴 People in here acting like he's prime Rogers or something…when in reality while he had some good football. He's still basically a rookie QB with 170 passing attempts and now a massive ? recovery to his throwing arm.
we are getting in the weeds here..

how about best guy for QB1 gets the job, which will be reality, thank you KS

Remember JG in 2017.. could be years before we see QB play on the level of BP last season, it doesn't happen every year

I think that's absolutely a fair question. If Brock doesn't continue on the same path as last yr…how much time do you give him? You gave Lance 30 passing attempts before changing how you felt about him heading into the 2022 season.

everyone in here is assuming that's what gonna happen (him playing at a high level)…the whole we want to win a Super Bowl stance….we can't "develop" a QB 🥴 People in here acting like he's prime Rogers or something…when in reality while he had some good football. He's still basically a rookie QB with 170 passing attempts and now a massive ? recovery to his throwing arm.

How much time is not a question in a vacuum.. there is a depth chart..

best guy for us to win games and get Super Bowl #6.. that's the litmus test on who starts, as always imo
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

What happens if Brock doesn't sustain or surpass his performance from last year? How many games does he get? Just curious.

There's a higher chance of Trey Lance and the 49ers of missing the playoffs than Brock Purdy and the 49ers not making it.

But as for your question, if you ask me I'd say one full season, he's earned it. Of course if Purdy does struggle and loses a few games, Purdy would be benched in favor of Trey Lance or Sam Darnold.
He's a lot like TL in that they were both very young and #3 overall. Difference is TL went to a Rolls Royce org and Darnold went to a clown car. TL had his big year to show what he could do and got hurt early on, so he gets an incomplete DNF grade. We all saw BP was killing it with this roster / talent. I haven't seen much of TL as he hasn't played much. I have seen more of Darnold, cuz he's played more, and I think he could do well with this stacked roster, you know who agrees.. KS and JL, that's why they hired him..

So wait holding on…you're telling me for a guy to develop having him on a GOOD roster with GOOD coaching can help? But I was told otherwise. I was told a young QB can't play and develop on a good roster because they're trying to win a Super Bowl??

It's been years a for Darnold with multiple coaching staffs and on different teams…there are things that he himself could have improved upon regardless of the roster around him…footwork is his deal. Understanding coverages is his deal. He hasn't improved there after 1,800 passing attempts.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
There's a higher chance of Trey Lance and the 49ers of missing the playoffs than Brock Purdy and the 49ers not making it.

But as for your question, if you ask me I'd say one full season, he's earned it. Of course if Purdy does struggle and loses a few games, Purdy would be benched in favor of Trey Lance or Sam Darnold.

You have literally no clue to make first that statement lol. 170 passing attempts earns you a full year of playing football on a Super Bowl roster? Wow that's it. Makes sense because you're over Lance after 100 passing attempts.

the lack of patience that this fan base has IMO the moment Brock hits a wall (if) or struggles because he's a young QB that has to develop all the same…ya'll will either be screaming to have him benched or go the Jimmy G route and hold onto past play and ride the car off the cliff because you can't stand the thought of being wrong about something.
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
If Brock is actually healthy and able to participate in legit training camp. He's more than likely the starter. If he's not then Lance will be…after that it's anyone guess what happens.

that's the reality of the situation and anyone trying to argue that are the ones with a bias narrative to push…period.

The ones that don't think Trey should have to compete with Darnold are the ones with bias narrative imo

The ones who think Darnold should, clearly have the narrative. He's a failed QB for 5 years. He's got a resume of bad football that spans over 50 starts. SF could have signed Tim Tebow and you'd be saying the same thing…because your own bias anti-lance crap.

It's not anti Lance, it's pro 49ers. I saw you say you want to see Trey play and fail, I don't understand that in a SB year. Theres no reason to take it that far if he can't beat out Darnold. You should want a competition and for the best QB to play and keep us afloat if Brock's not ready.

best guy for us to win games and get Super Bowl #6.. that's the litmus test on who starts, as always imo

So 30 passing attempts was the answer for you to go from 5,000 yards 40 TDs to tossing Lance in the trash?

So wait holding on…you're telling me for a guy to develop having him on a GOOD roster with GOOD coaching can help? But I was told otherwise. I was told a young QB can't play and develop on a good roster because they're trying to win a Super Bowl??

It's been years a for Darnold with multiple coaching staffs and on different teams…there are things that he himself could have improved upon regardless of the roster around him…footwork is his deal. Understanding coverages is his deal. He hasn't improved there after 1,800 passing attempts.

You're missing the crux of the discussion.. many guys who played the game and coached the game are on record, this was part of the Martz take also, a losing org has more leeway to start an inexperienced QB and let him develop.. you are developing the whole team, everyone is taking their lumps and the team is losing games. See Chicago Bears 2022 as an example. The season was bad but they got pick 1, turned it into a haul and Fields was looking like a superstar. Or T Lawrence 2021 and 2022.

A team with the champ window open has less leeway to play a QB who isn't giving the best immediate chance to win games, and let him take his lumps. That's the rationale expressed..

The distinction is what is best for the player, and what is best for the team, and those things aren't the same. KS explicitly came out and said TL isn't playing year 1, at least not starting all year, he wanted the bridge QB while TL sits KC style scenario. So KS clearly thought it best for TL to sit year 1, develop from the bench.

KS isn't playing games right now imo if he thinks BP is giving the best chance to win that's who plays. It's about what's in the best interest of the team, not about salvaging one guy on a 53 man roster. Good chance TL starts and does well, but he has to earn it.

Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by tankle104:

Great rebuttal.

Depends on his overall play. Too many variables and generalization for me to give a good answer.

I'll say if he plays worse than last year, and I'm saying quite a bit worse, where we aren't as efficient and struggling in the redzone, I'd say we give Lance a shot.

but he would have to be struggling quite a bit. If he's struggling quite a bit cause of his UCL, then put him on IR to continue recovering and roll with Lance and darnold.

But what if Trey was playing well before you benched him for Brock? Brock would have to play way worse than Trey for Trey to get the job back? That is just madness.

It's not anti Lance, it's pro 49ers. I saw you say you want to see Trey play and fail, I don't understand that in a SB year. Theres no reason to take it that far if he can't beat out Darnold. You should want a competition and for the best QB to play and keep us afloat if Brock's not ready.

If that was the case then you would be supporting a Lance all the same…you're not pro 49ers the way you talk about him. so save me virtual signaling.

so Sam can beat out Brock all the same. If Brock comes back 5 month and can take part in TC Sam should absolutely be competing with Brock all the same? If you say yes, I will say I don't believe you for a second.
Originally posted by tankle104:
I think putting it this way would help explain my stance. If Purdy devolves to just being a game manager and isn't elevating our offense like he was, then I think it's fair to move back to Lance. I just think Purdy has earned that opportunity.

But it would depend a lot on why he's playing that way. This is almost a debate with no end and just different stances on it.

I think it is bad team management and coaching to bench a guy if he is playing well in favor of a guy who may not have an off season, no live reps or 1st team reps who is coming off a major injury to his throwing elbow. If Trey is playing mediocre to poorly than by all means, get Brock back out there.

I'd argue he is only playing cause the player who played at an elite level wasn't available.

i don't view this as a competition for QB1. It's not up for grabs. It's Brock's and anything else is filling in for him until he's back. I think the team is done giving it to him. He's QB2 here. Only way he is even considered for long term QB1 is if Purdy devolved and plays poorly or average

if I hire you to do a role and I'm training you to do the role, then another person comes in and crushed the role, im no longer considering you for the position. It's simple business. Life isn't a charity.

also, the team is probably salivating over Brock's contract and the position he can put us in for longer term success. Lance has one of the highest salary's on the team. That's not good for him; especially when the other guy has played exponentially better.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 22, 2023 at 10:02 AM ]

So 30 passing attempts was the answer for you to go from 5,000 yards 40 TDs to tossing Lance in the trash?

He could literally build him up in his mind into anything he wanted at that point. He can't do that anymore after watching his play
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on Mar 22, 2023 at 10:01 AM ]

He could literally build him up in his mind into anything he wanted at that point. He can't do that anymore after watching his play

If TL can ball and be the guy they drafted him to be KS will play him.. the chart really is on the players, they will show what they got all summer, KS will slot them accordingly, that's all there is to it

I predicted long before BP delayed his surg, that TL would be opening day starter, and I stand by it, however I don't guarantee it.. it's just a hunch, most likely guy imo
BP would be the guy if healthy but that's not the case.. big question what happens when BP returns to health, but that's a long ways away
Share 49ersWebzone