There are 219 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
I think putting it this way would help explain my stance. If Purdy devolves to just being a game manager and isn't elevating our offense like he was, then I think it's fair to move back to Lance. I just think Purdy has earned that opportunity.

But it would depend a lot on why he's playing that way. This is almost a debate with no end and just different stances on it.

I think it is bad team management and coaching to bench a guy if he is playing well in favor of a guy who may not have an off season, no live reps or 1st team reps who is coming off a major injury to his throwing elbow. If Trey is playing mediocre to poorly than by all means, get Brock back out there.

I'd argue he is only playing cause the player who played at an elite level wasn't available.

i don't view this as a competition for QB1. It's not up for grabs. It's Brock's and anything else is filling in for him until he's back. I think the team is done giving it to him. Her QB2 here. Only way he is even considered for long term QB1 is if Purdy devolved and plays poorly or average

if I hire you to do a role and I'm training you to do the role, then another person comes in and crushed the role, im no longer considering you for the position. It's simple business. Life isn't a charity.

I would respect that point of view a lot more if we were talking about Mahomes, Brady or Rodgers. But we aren't. We are talking about a guy who had a really good 7 game stretch as a rookie.

Benching a guy, in season, who is playing well and winning games is very bad for team morale and sends the wrong message to the rest of the players in the locker room.
So if we signed Josh Rosen, you'd be saying the same s**t lol. Sam has had 5 years and a f**k ton of football to become a legit starter. Lance got one off season and 30 passing attempts derp.

the whole we can't develop a QB on a Super Bowl roster is hilarious for off…the rebuttal is we should be starting a 7rd rd rookie who's got 170 passing attempts and a broken elbow instead 😂 yes he made the most of those reps and played well BUT Stop acting like he's prime Rogers and won't have to develop and play through s**t all the same.
I think putting it this way would help explain my stance. If Purdy devolves to just being a game manager and isn't elevating our offense like he was, then I think it's fair to move back to Lance. I just think Purdy has earned that opportunity.

But it would depend a lot on why he's playing that way. This is almost a debate with no end and just different stances on it.

I think it is bad team management and coaching to bench a guy if he is playing well in favor of a guy who may not have an off season, no live reps or 1st team reps who is coming off a major injury to his throwing elbow. If Trey is playing mediocre to poorly than by all means, get Brock back out there.

I'd argue he is only playing cause the player who played at an elite level wasn't available.

i don't view this as a competition for QB1. It's not up for grabs. It's Brock's and anything else is filling in for him until he's back. I think the team is done giving it to him. Her QB2 here. Only way he is even considered for long term QB1 is if Purdy devolved and plays poorly or average

if I hire you to do a role and I'm training you to do the role, then another person comes in and crushed the role, im no longer considering you for the position. It's simple business. Life isn't a charity.

I would respect that point of view a lot more if we were talking about Mahomes, Brady or Rodgers. But we aren't. We are talking about a guy who had a really good 7 game stretch as a rookie.

Benching a guy, in season, who is playing well and winning games is very bad for team morale and sends the wrong message to the rest of the players in the locker room.

You don't bench greatness for hope. You let him show you he's great until he isn't. Well isn't good enough. Lol Brock could play well on his worst day. He never even had a remotely close bad game. Kyle said his worst game was the cards game - look up his stat line. Lol

lances best game was okay. That's all. He even threw a pick to ensure we lost the bears game.a god awful pick at that.

team reporters are even saying the players they talk to are so high on Purdy. One of them said that it's a stark contrast from how they talk about Lance. They don't speak bad about him but aren't quick to promote him. So I think doing that hurts the locker room.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 22, 2023 at 10:10 AM ]
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
He could literally build him up in his mind into anything he wanted at that point. He can't do that anymore after watching his play

So no one can take anything he says seriously if he's playing make believe in his mind. Gotcha.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
There's a higher chance of Trey Lance and the 49ers of missing the playoffs than Brock Purdy and the 49ers not making it.

But as for your question, if you ask me I'd say one full season, he's earned it. Of course if Purdy does struggle and loses a few games, Purdy would be benched in favor of Trey Lance or Sam Darnold.

You have literally no clue to make first that statement lol. 170 passing attempts earns you a full year of playing football on a Super Bowl roster? Wow that's it. Makes sense because you're over Lance after 100 passing attempts.

the lack of patience that this fan base has IMO the moment Brock hits a wall (if) or struggles because he's a young QB that has to develop all the same…ya'll will either be screaming to have him benched or go the Jimmy G route and hold onto past play and ride the car off the cliff because you can't stand the thought of being wrong about something.

How can I be over Lance when I was never a fan in the first place!!! And I'm basing my statement off experience and recent success in the NFL which Trey Lance basically doesn't have. Come back to reality if you think pretty much after three seasons of absence Trey Lance is gonna step into the NFL and run the table.

The lack of patience by fans period, this isn't the NFL of old where there was no salary cap, this is a what have you done for me lately league.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
How much time is not a question in a vacuum.. there is a depth chart..

best guy for us to win games and get Super Bowl #6.. that's the litmus test on who starts, as always imo

So 30 passing attempts was the answer for you to go from 5,000 yards 40 TDs to tossing Lance in the trash?

He could literally build him up in his mind into anything he wanted at that point. He can't do that anymore after watching his play

If TL can ball and be the guy they drafted him to be KS will play him.. the chart really is on the players, they will show what they got all summer, KS will slot them accordingly, that's all there is to it

I predicted long before BP delayed his surg, that TL would be opening day starter, and I stand by it, however I don't guarantee it.. it's just a hunch, most likely guy imo
BP would be the guy if healthy but that's not the case.. big question what happens when BP returns to health, but that's a long ways away

Pretty much this right here.

You don't bench greatness for hope. You let him show you he's great until he isn't. Well isn't good enough. Lol Brock could play well on his worst day. He never even had a remotely close bad game. Kyle said his worst game was the cards game - look up his stat line. Lol

lances best game was okay. That's all. He even threw a pick to ensure we lost the bears game.

team reporters are even saying the players they talk to are so high on Purdy. One of them said that it's a stark contrast from how they talk about Lance. They don't speak bad about him but aren't quick to promote him. So I think doing that hurts the locker room.

Greatness after 8 games? This is where reality ends and the delusion begins.

Was he or was he not great in all of his games?

i didn't say he will sustain it, but you let him play until he shows he isn't. Lol if you don't think he was great then what do you consider great? Lol tons of nfl records? Numerous things no one else has ever done or only things other great QBs have done?
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 22, 2023 at 10:11 AM ]

WHY waste time arguing.. we all know even if B-Rock is ready and healthy, Shanny's gonna GIVE the job to #5 only to justify the trade that had happened.. and when it doesn't happen for $5, yah'll know whacha all goin to be readin.. that he's not a hard worker, that he's not this and that outside the locker room.. being a kid and immature.. crap like that.. that's how this is going to happen.. it'll be #5's fault if he doesn't become MAHOMES, it'll never be the HC..
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

He was solid to great in 6 outta the 8.

Originally posted by Kolohe:

He was solid to great in 6 outta the 8.

So his worst day was solid. That's lances best day.

when you factor in he was a rookie with no playing time or first team reps. That's called greatness. Lol
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 22, 2023 at 10:13 AM ]
Originally posted by 9moon:
WHY waste time arguing.. we all know even if B-Rock is ready and healthy, Shanny's gonna GIVE the job to #5 only to justify the trade that had happened.. and when it doesn't happen for $5, yah'll know whacha all goin to be readin.. that he's not a hard worker, that he's not this and that outside the locker room.. being a kid and immature.. crap like that.. that's how this is going to happen.. it'll be #5's fault if he doesn't become MAHOMES, it'll never be the HC..
Lol if that's why he is starting - Kyle deserves to be b***h slapped. So illogical

lances best game was okay. That's all. He even threw a pick to ensure we lost the bears game.

You're talking about 170 passing attempts like it's years worth of football for Brock. The fact of all of it is he's a young rookie QB with a significant injury right now. I hope he rolls and becomes Joe Burrow or whatever. The truth is he probably with have ups and downs like most young QBs.

I just listen to a pod from a beat writer who touched on the locker room stuff…basically it came down to whomever is helping the win the support. Brock helped do that last yr. Lance comes in and does it then it's the same thing. He's barely be in to even have a chance to do that.
It's not anti Lance, it's pro 49ers. I saw you say you want to see Trey play and fail, I don't understand that in a SB year. Theres no reason to take it that far if he can't beat out Darnold. You should want a competition and for the best QB to play and keep us afloat if Brock's not ready.

If that was the case then you would be supporting a Lance all the same…you're not pro 49ers the way you talk about him. so save me virtual signaling.

so Sam can beat out Brock all the same. If Brock comes back 5 month and can take part in TC Sam should absolutely be competing with Brock all the same? If you say yes, I will say I don't believe you for a second.

Yes Sam can beat Brock out too. Based on Brock's play it's unlikely, but the best QB plays idk why you don't get this
So his worst day was solid. That's lances best day.

when you factor in he was a rookie with no playing time or first team reps. That's called greatness. Lol

Kinda mindblowing that we got that performance out of pick 262 and yet to see anything close out of pick 3
just shows the draft is a random chance event, no guarantees, and you shouldn't tie so much draft capital into one guy
if the draft is random, give me more swings to get a hit, rather than losing years of ones on a guy who may struggle to produce, stay healthy
Share 49ersWebzone