There are 224 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Brock played as well as literally any rookie ever has, and better than 99%. Set numerous nfl records or matched nfl greats like Marino. Had the offense as the #1 in the league. Didn't flinch in the playoffs.

he was a rookie with essentially no play time or reps.

If that isn't greatness, what is? Lll what in the world would someone have to do have a great performance in your mind?

im not saying he will always be great but he's shown he's absolutely capable of it and his worst day would of been lances career game… lol

hes not a great player because that requires consistency over time. But when he has played, he's been great. All time great and every single thing backs that up. Every. Single. Thing. lol
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Greatness after 8 games? This is where reality ends and the delusion begins.

Was he or was he not great in all of his games?

He was solid to great in 6 outta the 8.

So his worst day was solid. That's lances best day.

when you factor in he was a rookie with no playing time or first team reps. That's called greatness. Lol

No. Greatness is Jordan, Gretzky, Brady, Montana, etc.

Did Brock play great for a short stretch? Sure. But that doesn't make him Great. He has a looooooooong way to go before we can throw words like that around about him.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
You don't bench greatness for hope. You let him show you he's great until he isn't. Well isn't good enough. Lol Brock could play well on his worst day. He never even had a remotely close bad game. Kyle said his worst game was the cards game - look up his stat line. Lol

lances best game was okay. That's all. He even threw a pick to ensure we lost the bears game.

team reporters are even saying the players they talk to are so high on Purdy. One of them said that it's a stark contrast from how they talk about Lance. They don't speak bad about him but aren't quick to promote him. So I think doing that hurts the locker room.

You're talking about 170 passing attempts like it's years worth of football for Brock. The fact of all of it is he's a young rookie QB with a significant injury right now. I hope he rolls and becomes Joe Burrow or whatever. The truth is he probably with have ups and downs like most young QBs.

I just listen to a pod from a beat writer who touched on the locker room stuff…basically it came down to whomever is helping the win the support. Brock helped do that last yr. Lance comes in and does it then it's the same thing. He's barely be in to even have a chance to do that.

Do you really think anyone with half a brain cell on the team is going to say dumb things about either qb in the press? Come on. It's not always what people say, it's what they don't.
No. Greatness is Jordan, Gretzky, Brady, Montana, etc.

Did Brock play great for a short stretch? Sure. But that doesn't make him Great. He has a looooooooong way to go before we can throw words like that around about him.

Read my previous post
Brock played as well as literally any rookie ever has, and better than 99%. Set numerous nfl records or matched nfl greats like Marino. Had the offense as the #1 in the league. Didn't flinch in the playoffs.

If that isn't greatness, what is? Lll what in the world would someone have to do have a great performance in your mind?

im not saying he will always be great but he's shown he's absolutely capable of it and his worst day would of been lances career game… lol

hes not a great player because that requires consistency over time. But when he has played, he's been great. All time great and every single thing backs that up. Every. Single. Thing. lol

He also had one of the best rosters in the NFL, one of the best play callers and play designers in the NFL and a defense that never forced him to really have to play from behind. The team was beginning to hit its stride weeks before Brock got his opportunity. So while he did play great for most of that stretch, so was everyone else on the team.
Joe Flacco played great in the 2012 playoffs, right? He had a great run capped off with a Super Bowl, but Joe Flacco wasn't a great player. He had stretches of great play, both can be true.

That's what I'm saying about Purdy. He is not considered a great player at this point, but when he has played, it's been great.

can we all agree on that? Understand what I'm saying when I said greatness in regards to him?
He also had one of the best rosters in the NFL, one of the best play callers and play designers in the NFL and a defense that never forced him to really have to play from behind. The team was beginning to hit its stride weeks before Brock got his opportunity. So while he did play great for most of that stretch, so was everyone else on the team.

lol lets get real on this..

MIA was loaded and lighting the NFL on fire
they started a 7th round rookie..

how did that experiment go? Similar coach to our stuff, elite skill guys..

their 7th round rook couldn't get the plays or the snap off
the wheels came off the wagon
google Skylar Thompson.. he of the 27 QBR

It doesn't matter about the variables. So did Lance and he couldn't beat the damn bears with the worst record in the league. We can do tit for tat all day like this.

regardless of the circumstances, he played great when he had the chance. Better that 99.9% of every qb in league history their rookie year and 100% of the ones drafted in the same round as him. That's an amazing accomplishment no way it it's chopped.

HE HAS JERSEYS IN THE HOF! Lol he played great. He isn't a great player and shouldn't be considered one unless he sustains great play for numerous years.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 22, 2023 at 10:25 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Every rookie qb this year was god awful except
One. Even pitts guy was mediocre on his best day.

Every rookie qb this year was god awful except
One. Even pitts guy was mediocre on his best day.

Skylar played how a 7th round QB should and usually will play.. even with elite WRs, probably best in NFL, they could not get it going

to post like what BP did was ho hum or a product of 'well he had CMC'.. get outta here with that

Joe Flacco played great in the 2012 playoffs, right? He had a great run capped off with a Super Bowl, but Joe Flacco wasn't a great player. He had stretches of great play, both can be true.

That's what I'm saying about Purdy. He is not considered a great player at this point, but when he has played, it's been great.

can we all agree on that? Understand what I'm saying when I said greatness in regards to him?

I never said he didn't play great. But its interesting that you brought up a guy like Joe Flacco in this thread. That alone should make you a little more apprehensive and perhaps a little more patient with the current QB situation. We are dealing with a lot of unknowns at this point. My entire argument is that you don't bench a player who is playing well just because another player was playing well for a short stretch the season prior. Because if you do and that other guy doesn't live up to those expectations, we might be flushing the entire season down the toilet. I mean could you confidently go back to Trey if Brock's game dips substantially? Which is a possibility coming off a major injury to a throwing arm. And what does that do to the locker room? If Trey is not playing well, than by all means put Brock back in there. If Brock is that damn great, we aren't going to miss the playoffs losing a game or two waiting for him to get healthy.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Mar 22, 2023 at 10:34 AM ]
I never said he didn't play great. But its interesting that you brought up a guy like Joe Flacco in this thread. That alone should make you a little more apprehensive and perhaps a little more patient with the current QB situation. We are dealing with a lot of unknowns at this point. My entire argument is that you don't bench a player who is playing well just because another player was playing well for a short stretch the season prior. Because if you do and that other guy doesn't live up to those expectations, we might be flushing the entire season down the toilet. I mean could you confidently go back to Trey if Brock's game dips substantially? Which is a possibility coming off a major injury to a throwing arm. And what does that do to the locker room? If Trey is not playing well, than by all means put Brock back in there. If Brock is that damn great, we aren't going to miss the playoffs losing a game or two waiting for him to get healthy.

Fans overrate homefield. Look how many times the 9ers have lost an NFC championship at home.

Most important thing is to have whoever is QB peaking going into the playoffs. If that means a couple games get lost early in the season and the 9ers are a #3 instead of a #1 so be it.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Mar 22, 2023 at 10:38 AM ]

Now we want to bring up that Brock was a 7th round rookie? I thought that was one of those things that was a no no in here? I guess its okay if you are talking Brock up but just can't use it as a way to say we should hold the reins a little bit when referring to Brock's future or his ceiling?
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Fans overrate homefield. Look how many times the 9ers have lost an NFC championship at home.

Most important thing is to have whoever is QB peaking going into the playoffs. If that means a couple games get lost early in the season and the 9ers are a #3 instead of a #1 so be it.

Exactly my point. It is not that dire to rush Brock back if Trey is playing well and winning games. He could even hit his stride late in the season going into the playoffs. If Trey loses 1 or 2 games in a row and isn't playing that well than its no big deal because Brock will come in and continue where he left off the previous season.

All I'm doing is explaining why I said "you don't bench greatness" - I wasn't saying he is an overall great player, but he did play great when he has. In my opinion, you rock with that until they show you it was a fluke.

Hope isn't a good business strategy - one has shown that they're capable of playing at an extremely high level for at least 7 games or so. One has showed you he can't for 3 games. Idc what you gave up for either, you start the qb that has displayed the most. That's my opinion.

i look at it a lot different than some people on here, it's not an open competition for QB1. It's Brock's and others will fill in for him until he comes in. If Lance all of a sudden starts playing at the same level as Brock, then we have a competition.

until then, darnold and Lance are backups. That's my opinion. I understand others may disagree or see it different. There is nothing wrong with that. We will find out in a few months.
Share 49ersWebzone