There are 146 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Just like Purdy needs to work on rolling out to his left in clean pockets. Purdy needs to work on being more accurate and consist with just throws to the right side of the field.
Purdy needs to work on throwing across the field into double coverage like he did a few times. He was lucky it wasn't picked off a few times. He did it a few times with linebackers too.

it's okay to hold players accountable, doesn't mean you don't like them
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 22, 2023 at 12:03 PM ]
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
I am guessing you conveniently missed these statements as well.

"Hope isn't a good business strategy"
"You don't bench greatness for hope"

But that is exactly what he is doing when he believes that Brock will come back from a major injury to his throwing arm. He is hoping. He cannot say hope is a good thing when it fits his argument and say it is a bad thing when it doesn't. That is called being a hypocrite.

Yes, the point of his comments.. which you obviously missed... is that with Lance you don't have much else beyond hope. There isn't anything to support an argument to play Trey over Brock, at this point, other than hope.

With Brock you hope he returns healthy but there's evidence beyond hope that he should play. He played great when he had his opportunity.

It's been the crux of his argument the entire time. He didn't at all say that hope was a bad thing.

My argument has been that you don't bench Trey if he is playing well and the team is winning. That is it. If Trey is playing poorly than by all means put Brock in.

His argument is you put Brock back in no matter how well Trey is playing because Brock played well for a short stint in 2022.
Originally posted by tankle104:
For anyone who doesn't think Lance is inaccurate. Please watch at 17:30. Maybe you'll take the word of someone who watches him in training camp and practices. Lmao hysterical.

https://www.youtube.com/live/og9YtB4141A?feature=share

Make sure you watch through 19 minute

"as a first hand observer, we can absolutely say Trey lances accuracy is an issue. Absolutely"

but I'm a moron.

Hey yacbro -have anything to say… lmaooooo I guess everyone else just has two glass eyeballs

David Lombardi, really?

Trey Lance's issues are due to footwork and timing inconsistencies. I have stated that as recently as today. Also, like I stated in a previous post not long ago. Trey has the highest dropped pass % of him, Jimmy and Brock. In fact, Trey's dropped passes are twice as high as the other two. Which is a major contributing factor in his low completion %. Just an FYI. Drops are defined as ON TARGET PASSES dropped by the receiver.

Lol why do you think his passes are dropped? Most likely cause they aren't accurate and/or touch. It's like kap when he would try to break peoples fingers on dump off passes.

stop blaming the weather and everyone else for his short comings and hold the kid accountable. He has a lot he needs to work on.

Perhaps you cannot comprehend the phrase ON TARGET PASSES? I thought it was pretty self explanatory.

But that is exactly what he is doing when he believes that Brock will come back from a major injury to his throwing arm. He is hoping. He cannot say hope is a good thing when it fits his argument and say it is a bad thing when it doesn't. That is called being a hypocrite.

Yes, the point of his comments.. which you obviously missed... is that with Lance you don't have much else beyond hope. There isn't anything to support an argument to play Trey over Brock, at this point, other than hope.

With Brock you hope he returns healthy but there's evidence beyond hope that he should play. He played great when he had his opportunity.

It's been the crux of his argument the entire time. He didn't at all say that hope was a bad thing.

My argument has been that you don't bench Trey if he is playing well and the team is winning. That is it. If Trey is playing poorly than by all means put Brock in.

His argument is you put Brock back in no matter how well Trey is playing because Brock played well for a short stint in 2022.

I think some are afraid that Trey will actually play well enough to keep Brock on the bench. No idea why, because that means the team is doing well, but once the season starts, we'll see what Kyle does. Chances of Trey starting the season as QB1 are probably 90%. Once he's playing, he will actually have to play pretty bad to be benched. As little as people want to admit it, the capital we've invested in Trey will give him a longer leash than someone like Purdy.
Lol this idiot seriously believes Brock Purdy is only worth day 2 or worse picks

https://ninernoise.com/2023/03/21/49ers-trade-packages-quarterback-brock-purdy/
Originally posted by SLCNiner:

I think some are afraid that Trey will actually play well enough to keep Brock on the bench. No idea why, because that means the team is doing well, but once the season starts, we'll see what Kyle does. Chances of Trey starting the season as QB1 are probably 90%. Once he's playing, he will actually have to play pretty bad to be benched. As little as people want to admit it, the capital we've invested in Trey will give him a longer leash than someone like Purdy.

I think it's more to do with the arm strength and threat as a runner than the picks.
Lance will more than likely start and finish the season as the starting QB unless Injured or poor performance.

It sucks for Brock that he got Injured because now he may have missed out on his opportunity to become the starting QB for the 9ers and once again showcase his talent this season.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Lance will more than likely start and finish the season as the starting QB unless Injured or poor performance.

It sucks for Brock that he got Injured because now he may have missed out on his opportunity to become the starting QB for the 9ers and once again showcase his talent this season.

If he plays well then that would be awesome. I just don't know what makes you guys think he's going to. There's nothing I can point to from NFL or college that tells me he's even going to beat out Darnold. Let's see him show something in a battle with Darnold before we just hand him the keys to a SB season.

I've seen both your arguments. My comments were focused on you misrepresenting his comments about hope and then insulting him.

As far as your guys' overarching arguments, you're basically in agreement with some differences. You've said if Trey plays well and the team is winning, Trey keeps the job. And he's said Trey would have to surpass Brock's play for him to keep the job. It's really quite similar.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:

I look at starting Trey as a waste of time, not scared off it at all.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 22, 2023 at 12:46 PM ]

I've seen both your arguments. My comments were focused on you misrepresenting his comments about hope and then insulting him.

As far as your guys' overarching arguments, you're basically in agreement with some differences. You've said if Trey plays well and the team is winning, Trey keeps the job. And he's said Trey would have to surpass Brock's play for him to keep the job. It's really quite similar.

The word "well" is subjective. In my mind. That's just being a game manager. Jimmy played well. Alex smith played well in KC. Etc. idk why we would want well. Lol

i don't understand why you would want mediocrity to play when you have a guy who was balling out of control. Purdy has earned the chance to start if healthy, even if Lance is playing "well".

i just don't think well is good enough to start Lance over Purdy when he is healthy. You go with the guy who played at an extremely high level in his small sample size. That's all
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Surpass Brock's performance from last year. The bar has been set.

What happens if Brock doesn't sustain or surpass his performance from last year? How many games does he get? Just curious.

It depends on how well he and the team are doing. He has proven he can play at that level.

If the team is losing and not scoring with him like they were last year, he would get benched for Trey.

He has shown a lot already.
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Originally posted by eric_anthony:
Originally posted by RabidNiner:
Sir Lancelot the white knight is always working to ensure everyone knows that Trey is better, even though he lost to the worst team in the league in his only full game after being the anointed starter for a full offseason.

it's so damn old, and pathetic.

This post is pathetic and Lance wasn't the only reason they lost that game. How about Jimmy losing to the s**tty Broncos?

How about Deebo fumbling the ball away in the redzone? What about the defense giving up 2 deep TD's?

We're not allowed to discuss that

And god forbid we talk about Brock's tendencies and the things he needs to work on to stay ahead of the curve.

Sure, but dude hasn't lost a game and put up great numbers. Criticisms can come off as nitpicky.

Technically he did lose a game. He just hasn't lost a game he has finished. It is okay recognizing and discussing players strengths as well as weaknesses. There are some fans in here that refuse to accept that Brock does have weaknesses and DC's will find a way to take away his strengths and force him into his weaknesses. We saw that in the Dallas game and if it were not for Dak completely s**tting the bed, the outcome could very well have been different. Can't get away with putting up only 19 points against Patrick Mahomes or Jalen Hurts.

Can you locate these posts that claim Brock has no weaknesses?

Its the responses like the one just posted that call them nitpicking. Those posters are unable to accept and discuss them.

When you're over in the Trey thread acting like running it down the Seattles throat for 17 plays while Trey was in is something that's needs to be remembered and praised…..yea it comes off as nitpicking. People will not want to have that discussion when the motives are obvious

If you read through that thread, you will see posts of me discussing his strengths as well as his weaknesses. You will see me giving him praise as well as criticism. You will find the same thing in the Jimmy thread. I will also continue to do the same here and in the Trey thread. In fact, if you go through the weeks that Brock was starting, you will see a whole lot of praise and stats to back up the praise I expressed for Brock. So don't try to make this out to be that I am defending Trey while beating down Brock. I have said many times that I like both QB's and would love nothing more than for both to be successful.

Well there's a crowd that is much harder on Brock than Trey. They wanted Brock to win the SB to keep the starting job, but now as long as Trey gets carried to a few wins he's the starter. It's that kind of lopsidedness that turns people off to the Purdy nitpickers

Who said this? I remember having a discussion with someone about what criteria Trey would need to meet in order for Trey to keep the job when Brock was healthy. The response I received was far less than concrete and highly open ended so that the goal posts could continue to move. I don't want the team to carry any QB. I thought that was one of the biggest reasons why we moved on from Jimmy. I am, however, against inserting Brock inspite of Trey, if Trey is playing well and the team is winning.

Unfair expectations for even Brock. Example would be Brock's TD% which is well above elite and was even god level for a stretch of his games last season. Again, unfair expectations.

That's the bar that he set.
The word "well" is subjective. In my mind. That's just being a game manager. Jimmy played well. Alex smith played well in KC. Etc. idk why we would want well. Lol

i don't understand why you would want mediocrity to play when you have a guy who was balling out of control. Purdy has earned the chance to start if healthy, even if Lance is playing "well".

i just don't think well is good enough to start Lance over Purdy when he is healthy. You go with the guy who played at an extremely high level in his small sample size. That's all

Well is a pretty subjective word, but I understand your argument.

You simply don't think Lance is going to be able to play at a high enough level to keep Brock on the bench, and you think the people that believe that's a real possibility are basing it on nothing but hope.

It's not complicated, lol.

What happens if Brock doesn't sustain or surpass his performance from last year? How many games does he get? Just curious.

It depends on how well he and the team are doing. He has proven he can play at that level.

If the team is losing and not scoring with him like they were last year, he would get benched for Trey.

He has shown a lot already.

Right, I agree. You let him prove to you that he can't be elite consistently. If he does that, then let him and Lance duke it out. At that point we are getting mediocrity from both anyways.

i just can't fathom not putting the guy in that's been amazing when given the opportunity. He's more than earned that opportunity when healthy, but more importantly, Lance hasn't done enough to take that opportunity from him.

Purdy did more than enough to strip Lance of the job. Not just Lance, it would of been jimmy and anyone else.
Share 49ersWebzone