There are 127 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by tankle104:
The word "well" is subjective. In my mind. That's just being a game manager. Jimmy played well. Alex smith played well in KC. Etc. idk why we would want well. Lol

i don't understand why you would want mediocrity to play when you have a guy who was balling out of control. Purdy has earned the chance to start if healthy, even if Lance is playing "well".

i just don't think well is good enough to start Lance over Purdy when he is healthy. You go with the guy who played at an extremely high level in his small sample size. That's all

Well is a pretty subjective word, but I understand your argument.

You simply don't think Lance is going to be able to play at a high enough level to keep Brock on the bench, and you think the people that believe that's a real possibility are basing it on nothing but hope.

It's not complicated, lol.

Right, it's just my opinion.

i think where I differ from others - I just can't figure out what people like so much about Lance. I'd probably love hanging out with the guy, it's nothing personal. I just don't understand the hype around him.
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
The ones that don't think Trey should have to compete with Darnold are the ones with bias narrative imo

this... it's likely Darnold is the better player and will beat out Lance if given the opportunity
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Surpass Brock's performance from last year. The bar has been set.

What happens if Brock doesn't sustain or surpass his performance from last year? How many games does he get? Just curious.

1-2. It should be obvious pretty quickly whether or not Brock has the same magic he did in 2022. Just like how it was pretty obvious early in 2018 that the magic Jimmy had in 2017 was gone. Brock has neither the draft pedigree nor an extended history of high performance to justify sticking with him if he doesn't perform as well as he did last year.

1 game?

LOL, no. Dude has proven somethings.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
we are getting in the weeds here..

how about best guy for QB1 gets the job, which will be reality, thank you KS

Remember JG in 2017.. could be years before we see QB play on the level of BP last season, it doesn't happen every year

I think that's absolutely a fair question. If Brock doesn't continue on the same path as last yr…how much time do you give him? You gave Lance 30 passing attempts before changing how you felt about him heading into the 2022 season.

everyone in here is assuming that's what gonna happen (him playing at a high level)…the whole we want to win a Super Bowl stance….we can't "develop" a QB ???? People in here acting like he's prime Rogers or something…when in reality while he had some good football. He's still basically a rookie QB with 170 passing attempts and now a massive ? recovery to his throwing arm.

We developed Brock and are still developing him and Lance.

Lancr got the starting job handed to him twice and could not keep it either time and he will get another chance to start for sure.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Mar 22, 2023 at 12:59 PM ]
The main reason why I have so much confidence in Purdy coming back just fine is that he never depends on physical traits to be a good qb. His arm isn't great, he isn't very fast, he is very elusive though - and his shoulder won't change that.

So as long as he feels comfortable with his arm/throwing - I don't see any reason why he can't repeat or do damn near it. It's not like he's sitting on the couch for 6 months. He's at the facility, he'll be at training camp etc.

im sure lances ankle will be fine, I'm not overly concerned, but I'm curious to see if this has an impact on the way he runs. My hope is that it makes him more cautious as a runner so he protects his body better. He runs physical like a FB and I don't think that'll last long (for any qb), not with as many runs as Kyle does with him.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 22, 2023 at 1:03 PM ]
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
we are getting in the weeds here..

how about best guy for QB1 gets the job, which will be reality, thank you KS

Remember JG in 2017.. could be years before we see QB play on the level of BP last season, it doesn't happen every year

I think that's absolutely a fair question. If Brock doesn't continue on the same path as last yr…how much time do you give him? You gave Lance 30 passing attempts before changing how you felt about him heading into the 2022 season.

everyone in here is assuming that's what gonna happen (him playing at a high level)…the whole we want to win a Super Bowl stance….we can't "develop" a QB ???? People in here acting like he's prime Rogers or something…when in reality while he had some good football. He's still basically a rookie QB with 170 passing attempts and now a massive ? recovery to his throwing arm.

We developed Brock and are still developing him and Lance.

Lancr got the starting job handed to him twice and could not keep it either time and he will get another chance to start for sure.

I'm eager to see how Kyle handles this. It'll say a lot about his confidence in either of the players. I think his chance of automatically being the starter is gone because of Purdys performance.

id be surprised if Kyle didn't look at it as "Brock's QB1 and it's up to Lance to show otherwise, but he won't be handed anything anymore". Especially with the way lynch and Kyle has talked so glowingly of Brock.

i could totally be wrong, that's just my thoughts on it.

i highly doubt Kyle will make any sort of formal announcement though. He will want them both competing to make each other better. Plus, I doubt Purdy will be a full participant in training camp, or for at least part of it. So no reason to make an announcement until he knows who can even play week 1.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 22, 2023 at 1:04 PM ]
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
this... it's likely Darnold is the better player and will beat out Lance if given the opportunity

We're In trouble If that's the case.
Originally posted by Sickaa:

We're In trouble If that's the case.

Darnold did play pretty decent for Carolina down the stretch. Nothing amazing though. They both have accuracy issues.

id prefer Lance over darnold, absolutely. Darnold does have a lot of talent but a more known entity. It's interesting that he came here with wilks. I'd play Lance over him every time until Lance proved he shouldn't. He's too unknown to not roll with him unless you have a better option.

i wonder what the overall idea kyle and lynch had for him. They gave him $3.5M. My first thought is he is here to push Lance and help him, but I'd be surprised if we are able to stash him on the practice squad once Lance and Purdy are both healthy.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 22, 2023 at 1:16 PM ]
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
The ones that don't think Trey should have to compete with Darnold are the ones with bias narrative imo

🙄
Lol why do you think his passes are dropped? Most likely cause they aren't accurate and/or touch. It's like kap when he would try to break peoples fingers on dump off passes.

stop blaming the weather and everyone else for his short comings and hold the kid accountable. He has a lot he needs to work on.
Aiyuk has dropped passes from both Jimmy and Brock. I believe Jennings dropped one from Brock too. The receivers drop a lot of passes. Kittle and CMC have the best hands on the team and I don't recall seeing them drop many passes. So Trey isn't the only who's balls get dropped.
[ Edited by eric_anthony on Mar 22, 2023 at 1:34 PM ]

Originally posted by eric_anthony:
Lol why do you think his passes are dropped? Most likely cause they aren't accurate and/or touch. It's like kap when he would try to break peoples fingers on dump off passes.

stop blaming the weather and everyone else for his short comings and hold the kid accountable. He has a lot he needs to work on.
Aiyuk has dropped passes from both Jimmy and Brock. I believe Jennings dropped one from Brock too. The receivers drop a lot of passes. Kittle and CMC have the best hands on the team and I don't recall seeing them drop many passes. So Trey isn't the only who's balls get dropped.

I didn't say he was. He said that they were on target but dropped. To just say "these guys need to catch them no matter what" is odd to me. They should be catching the ball but my point was - Trey needs better touch, ball placement and to lay off on the heat. Especially in rough weather like the bears game

i don't think it's fair to criticize just one player/group in those kind of situations. Both can do better to solve the issue. If everyone did that, it would solve the issues.

there are quite a few plays where Purdy completed a pass but it was slightly under thrown and the receiver came through. He needs to do better on that.

have you ever tried to catch a football from an arm like Lance or kap? Hurts like hell if they don't lay off some heat on it, especially if the ball placement requires the receiver to make adjustments. This isn't unique to Lance. A lot of guys with cannons have to learn that and/or get better at it. I think Lance is way better than kap ever was at taking heat off. Those tight rope throws are terrifying lmao and can through off your route timing/anticipation of when it'll get there. It's not really a big deal - Lance and the receivers will easily get better at it with reps.

i just don't think Lance is a victim all the time and has a lot to work on, every qb does.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 22, 2023 at 1:44 PM ]
Has anyone dove into Jimmy's 10 games and Brock's 9 to see if we can get an idea where the offense improved, where it stayed the same and where it fell off so we could get some accurate projections for 2023 if a healthy Brock plays 17 games?

We should have a pretty good baseline and with Jimmy, a baseline to improve upon as that's what we need to bring home #6. Just a tad better overall.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Has anyone dove into Jimmy's 10 games and Brock's 9 to see if we can get an idea where the offense improved, where it stayed the same and where it fell off so we could get some accurate projections for 2023 if a healthy Brock plays 17 games?

We should have a pretty good baseline and with Jimmy, a baseline to improve upon as that's what we need to bring home #6. Just a tad better overall.

Did someone say accurate projections??

Haha. Wrath and I used to nail Kyle's offense down to the yard annually.

Haha. Wrath and I used to nail Kyle's offense down to the yard annually.

I assumed TL would stay healthy and we would open it up showcase his arm but it was not to be
team pass attempts seem to be capped around 500+
perhaps a good thing as if it rises dramatically it could mean we are chasing games

would be interested in seeing if BP had his regular season performance over a 17 game slate what it would look like.. we are likely talking MVP numbers here just going off what the eye test was looking like
Share 49ersWebzone