There are 150 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Well if you remember that game we were starting drives with penalties quite often. I think it was 1st and 20 on several drives.

For years the standard for play was Jimmy's. And although I think Jimmy's a good QB, I never thought Trey couldn't eventually get to that level.

IMO Purdy has elevated that standard. And maybe he never plays that well again due to his injury, but I admit this new standard might be too much for Trey to overcome.

I think the team basically put Trey in a no win situation given how raw he is. I think James Wiseman is a pretty good parallel and that's in a league where you have 82 games to play with, lol.

I mostly post things that would appear negative about him, especially to his die-hard believers, but I am rooting for him. Just wouldn't bet on him.
Exactly. Lol same here. I just view it as rooting for an underdog because I never really expected him to be a superstar. Regardless, he's a great young man and I hope it all works out for him - elsewhere. Hahaha now that we have
Purdy
here is another one!
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Well if you remember that game we were starting drives with penalties quite often. I think it was 1st and 20 on several drives.

For years the standard for play was Jimmy's. And although I think Jimmy's a good QB, I never thought Trey couldn't eventually get to that level.

IMO Purdy has elevated that standard. And maybe he never plays that well again due to his injury, but I admit this new standard might be too much for Trey to overcome.

I think the team basically put Trey in a no win situation given how raw he is. I think James Wiseman is a pretty good parallel and that's in a league where you have 82 games to play with, lol.

I mostly post things that would appear negative about him, especially to his die-hard believers, but I am rooting for him. Just wouldn't bet on him.
Exactly. Lol same here. I just view it as rooting for an underdog because I never really expected him to be a superstar. Regardless, he's a great young man and I hope it all works out for him - elsewhere. Hahaha now that we have
Purdy

I've been called a Jimmy hater countless times. When in reality I'm criticizing the logic used by posters who defend him religiously. Things like using his record to prove he's better than player X. I've criticized his game and also gave him a lot of praise for when he played well, especially his win streak he went on last year. I thought he played great.

I guess the point is, there's no reason to root against players on the team. None. And for Trey's case, it's possible he plays an extended period of time this year or next, and if he plays well, that could help the team in a potential trade. That's why Trey's development is still important to me. Ultimately, I want to see another lombardi trophy. So while I'm all aboard the Purdy train, I can't help but root for Trey as well. I loved his personality and still do. I think between Purdy and Trey and Jimmy we had the most likable trio of QBs ever.
[ Edited by Waterbear on Mar 22, 2023 at 8:19 PM ]
What a refreshing enjoyable couple of pages. Nice job, gents.
I've been called a Jimmy hater countless times. When in reality I'm criticizing the logic used by posters who defend him religiously. Things like using his record to prove he's better than player X. I've criticized his game and also gave him a lot of praise for when he played well, especially his win streak he went on last year. I thought he played great.

I guess the point is, there's no reason to root against players on the team. None. And for Trey's case, it's possible he plays an extended period of time this year or next, and if he plays well, that could help the team in a potential trade. That's why Trey's development is still important to me. Ultimately, I want to see another lombardi trophy. So while I'm all aboard the Purdy train, I can't help but root for Trey as well. I loved his personality and still do. I think between Purdy and Trey and Jimmy we had the most likable trio of QBs ever.

If youre rooting for a player on the team to fail - then you're not a San Francisco 49ers fan. You're just a football fan with an agenda.
i love Jimmy and feel like he never got the credit he deserved, but it was also clear he has limitations. I'm eager to see how he does in LV.

I posted about this earlier, and essentially I agree with you. If Lance gets more reps in camp and ends up playing a couple games for us, you bet your bottom dollar I hope he does well. Odds are he will get traded next year, even with his dead cap hit, if Purdy lives up to his previous play.

my only concern is his dead cap hit but if the offer is good enough, I can see it happening. A team may offer quite a bit if he puts good film out there and may want to extend his fifth year option in hopes he vastly improves in his fourth year - which would make his fifth year option a relative bargain.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 22, 2023 at 8:31 PM ]

I view the qb win/loss record as more a reflection to a QBs efficiency and leadership - both of which jimmy were very good at.

There are too many variables from qb/team to qb/team that aren't reflected in the W/L to definitely say the guy is better than others because of the W/L. For example, Lamar, Mahommes, and jimmy all have very similar w/l records - obviously all three are very different - but to say jimmy is as good as mahommes is wild. All three win in different ways.

if you're on a good team and can operate an offense efficiently, and your leadership keeps everyone composed - you'll most likely win a lot of games.
so I do think QBs should get credit for that record, not all of it, nor can you use it to say x is better than Y.
here is another one!

Just another great stat by BP.
Someone I think mentioned they believe that this past season was his ceiling? I really hope not. I think if he heals up ok, he's going to keep kicking arse. I just worry about a re-injury to that area. 😕
BP played as well as any rookie QB ever, both statistically and in terms leading a team to the Championship game.

No guarantee he maintains it but theres no reason why he can't if his elbow gets back to 100%
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by babarvaart:
BP played as well as any rookie QB ever, both statistically and in terms leading a team to the Championship game.

No guarantee he maintains it but theres no reason why he can't if his elbow gets back to 100%

If Brock can't make it back to being Brock, we got Trey as insurance. He won't be the unicorn, but he can still win.
Originally posted by Montana:
here is another one!

Just another great stat by BP.
Someone I think mentioned they believe that this past season was his ceiling? I really hope not. I think if he heals up ok, he's going to keep kicking arse. I just worry about a re-injury to that area. 😕

Some look at a crazy stat like his TD% and say he can't play any better. In the sense of TD% he may have peaked, but I don't think he has as a football player. I'm a lot more confident in his arm than others. In all 3 examples of QB elbow surgery, the QB was back next season. Longest recovery for a 38 year old that tore 3 tendons.

Haven't heard any problems from Mullens. Delhomme said his arm felt great. Ben considered coming back and playing for us last year. I'm honestly confident Brock will be fine
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on Mar 23, 2023 at 3:08 AM ]

here is another one!

It's mind boggling when you consider he's a rookie who had no reps with the 1s. 7th rounder. Really no grooming at all to be the starter, and he steps in and just takes control like that.

I agree with you man, that is f**king greatness. Can he sustain? I really can't wait to find out. What he did was special
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on Mar 23, 2023 at 3:15 AM ]
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Some look at a crazy stat like his TD% and say he can't play any better. In the sense of TD% he may have peaked, but I don't think he has as a football player. I'm a lot more confident in his arm than others. In all 3 examples of QB elbow surgery, the QB was back next season. Longest recovery for a 38 year old that tore 3 tendons.

Haven't heard any problems from Mullens. Delhomme said his arm felt great. Ben considered coming back and playing for us last year. I'm honestly confident Brock will be fine

Ben's arm was completely shot after his tendon repair, which was a similar surgery to a UCL. Not necessarily the same injury though. The tendon has a much quicker healing process do to blood flow vs a ligament (which is what Brock completely tore). Big Ben said he felt great after the surgery, the film said otherwise.

For sure age plays a part. If Brock was older the internal brace wouldn't be an option. I know you love tossing out the Mullens comp. The thing is this is a relatively new procedure, we don't have nearly enough examples to proclaim anything. I have no idea why you keep tossing out Delhomme. He didn't have the same surgery. TJ vs internal brace are not the same thing…He also said he felt great, but again the film was not good either.

IMO Brock should be fine all said any done. I do think the best way to go about it is to give him as much time as possible to recover. There's absolutely no reason to rush his recovery. None. Any setback could result in further surgery. There's a fine line with being optimistic and ignorant about it.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Ben's arm was completely shot after his tendon repair, which was a similar surgery to a UCL. Not necessarily the same injury though. The tendon has a much quicker healing process do to blood flow vs a ligament (which is what Brock completely tore). Big Ben said he felt great after the surgery, the film said otherwise.

For sure age plays a part. If Brock was older the internal brace wouldn't be an option. I know you love tossing out the Mullens comp. The thing is this is a relatively new procedure, we don't have nearly enough examples to proclaim anything. I have no idea why you keep tossing out Delhomme. He didn't have the same surgery. TJ vs internal brace are not the same thing…He also said he felt great, but again the film was not good either.

IMO Brock should be fine all said any done. I do think the best way to go about it is to give him as much time as possible to recover. There's absolutely no reason to rush his recovery. None. Any setback could result in further surgery. There's a fine line with being optimistic and ignorant about it.

I've been trying to find out what kind of tissue (was it healthy?) that big Ben and Mullens had. That plays a huge factor. Thank goodness Purdys was healthy.
Mullens didn't release much info on his arms, at least, publicly.

i do agree that he shouldn't play until he feels like it's right and fully healed. I just ride with the 6 months because that's the longest I've heard/read about it taking (a doctor said it could be five months or 7 months depending on how his body heals - everyone's is different). I'm being optimistic that his youth/work ethic/healthy tissue - will benefit him and by 5.5 months, he will feel back and gives him two weeks to run with the 1s to see if he or Trey should start. I don't expect he will go on short term IR though. That would be a bad sign.

Mullens isn't starter material for teams so it sucks that we haven't really seen him play to know how his arm looks. He would of never been a starter here if it wasn't for injuries/bad qb play.

delhimme was never a great qb anyways, never thought he was that good, but he didn't have the same surgery. He had TJ which is worse.
big Ben and JD both were like 12-15 seasons deep in their careers with a lot of wear and tear. Makes its a hard comparison. It's like we only have one comp and it's not a good one. Lol sucks
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 23, 2023 at 4:54 AM ]
here is another one!

It's mind boggling when you consider he's a rookie who had no reps with the 1s. 7th rounder. Really no grooming at all to be the starter, and he steps in and just takes control like that.

I agree with you man, that is f**king greatness. Can he sustain? I really can't wait to find out. What he did was special

I guess my question to everyone is what's "not sustaining"? Is that playing at 50% of this level? 80%? 95%? If he plays 85% or so of what he did last season - that's still a really high level.

i feel like some are expecting him to become very average or worse. There is a good possibility that he doesn't get right back to where he was because of the Film on him and lack of film on other teams early in the season, but I'd be surprised if he just started playing at 70% of the level he was at
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I would be surprised if you broke down Delhommes tape, but either way he maintains years later that his arm felt great and I don't see any reason he would lie. We have to look at a 38 year old for pessimism. That makes me optimistic
Share 49ersWebzone