QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
We aren't thinking about developing Darnold or his future lol. We are thinking about a SB season and who would be better to strt if Brock can't go

And you're trying to debate why the worst starting QB over the past 5 yrs should start lol. I'm debating the team will give the reps to the kid that just gave up 3 1sts for and actually made the starting QB last yr WHEN they were STILL trying to win a SB.

As bad as he is, Trey has looked worse. This is not his team anymore. If you don't think the better QB should start until Brock is back then you really don't care about the team. Imagine telling Trent "but Trey might be good one day!!!" Lol

So you've completely written off Trey as the future of this team but you say NY should be objective about a QB competition between Lance and Darnold?

Seems hypocritical

Until Brock shows me otherwise, yes I have written off Treys chances to develop here

So you admit you're not open minded to Trey's potential development but you expect others to be open minded about Sam starting over Trey.

Yup. 100% hypocritical

Lol this makes no sense

You're assuming I expect people to be open minded about Darnold starting. I'm just giving my opinion and giving my reason. Nothing more
We aren't thinking about developing Darnold or his future lol. We are thinking about a SB season and who would be better to strt if Brock can't go

And you're trying to debate why the worst starting QB over the past 5 yrs should start lol. I'm debating the team will give the reps to the kid that just gave up 3 1sts for and actually made the starting QB last yr WHEN they were STILL trying to win a SB.

As bad as he is, Trey has looked worse. This is not his team anymore. If you don't think the better QB should start until Brock is back then you really don't care about the team. Imagine telling Trent "but Trey might be good one day!!!" Lol

So you've completely written off Trey as the future of this team but you say NY should be objective about a QB competition between Lance and Darnold?

Seems hypocritical

Until Brock shows me otherwise, yes I have written off Treys chances to develop here

So you admit you're not open minded to Trey's potential development but you expect others to be open minded about Sam starting over Trey.

Yup. 100% hypocritical

Lol this makes no sense

You're assuming I expect people to be open minded about Darnold starting. I'm just giving my opinion and giving my reason. Nothing more

WB feels you must be equally excited about all 49er players.. you must be as excited about TDP as you are about Bosa.. and so forth, or else, you are a hypocrite.

buying a player jersey, that makes you an automatic hypocrite, unless you buy 53 of course
This thread becoming a 🤡 show
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Seems hypocritical

Yup. 100% hypocritical

Lol this makes no sense

WB feels you must be equally excited about all 49er players.. you must be as excited about TDP as you are about Bosa.. and so forth, or else, you are a hypocrite.

buying a player jersey, that makes you an automatic hypocrite, unless you buy 53 of course

Faithful6 interpreting my post incorrectly yet again? What a shocker.

The contradiction is that you're closed minded to the possibility of Trey showing he's worthy of starting over Purdy. You said it's Purdy's team and that's not changing.

While at the same time, you're telling people to be open minded about the possibility of Sam outplaying Trey.

That's not just your opinion on how much you value each player, because I see nothing wrong with believing Darnold is a better player than Trey…. the issue is you're not applying the same rules to each QB.

To use your words, "If you don't think the better QB should start until Brock is back then you really don't care about the team.".

So using your own comment, you could say that YOU don't care about the team since you would start Purdy over Trey regardless if Trey proves himself worthy of the starting position… because it's no longer Trey's team and it's impossible in your mind for him to be better than Purdy.

The contradiction is that you're closed minded to the possibility of Trey showing he's worthy of starting over Purdy. You said it's Purdy's team and that's not changing.

While at the same time, you're telling people to be open minded about the possibility of Sam outplaying Trey.

That's not just your opinion on how much you value each player, because I see nothing wrong with believing Darnold is a better player than Trey…. the issue is you're not applying the same rules to each QB.

To use your words, "If you don't think the better QB should start until Brock is back then you really don't care about the team.".

So using your own comment, you could say that YOU don't care about the team since you would start Purdy over Trey regardless if Trey proves himself worthy of the starting position… because it's no longer Trey's team and it's impossible in your mind for him to be better than Purdy.

I think he's saying he doesn't feel TL will pull that off as his opinion

WB doesn't even feel there will be a comp in offseason, or a possibility of such, despite neutrals like NFL.com saying so
I am open minded to a lot of possibilities this offseason I see three potential starting QBs on opening day, maybe more than 3..
We can agree to disagree. With no one winning on routes all over the field, it's a lil harder to throw with anticipation. Where are you putting it, if they are all covered up? Who is calling plays to put your squad at an advantage? Are they on the KS level?

Can you show me WR/TE/RBs not winning on routes or no one ever being schemed open? So his whole career he's just been that unlucky? Nah.

This is the stuff I'm talking about, when I say he's not a rhythm thrower. Timing/footwork is so important when it comes to accuracy.

Throwing off platform, scrambling, bootlegs anything that's not timing related in the pocket stuff is what he's "better" at.

it's very similar to Zach Wilson. He has the same issues. People love to talk about mechanics and throwing motion, Wilson imo has very good mechanics (as a thrower) and a tight throwing motion. He's completed 55% of his balls. Being accurate is about footwork being married to the play. Timing. That s**t only improves by playing more football. Repetition. Sam's got plenty of that under his belt (and still hasn't improved) Lance does not.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 23, 2023 at 10:54 AM ]

Seems hypocritical

Yup. 100% hypocritical

Lol this makes no sense

[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 23, 2023 at 10:54 AM ]
We can agree to disagree. With no one winning on routes all over the field, it's a lil harder to throw with anticipation. Where are you putting it, if they are all covered up? Who is calling plays to put your squad at an advantage? Are they on the KS level?

Can you show me WR/TE/RBs not winning on routes or no one ever being schemed open? So his whole career he's just been that unlucky? Nah.

This is the stuff I'm talking about, when I say he's not a rhythm thrower. Timing/footwork is so important when it comes to accuracy.

Throwing off platform, scrambling, bootlegs anything that's not timing related in the pocket stuff is what he's "better" at.

it's very similar to Zach Wilson. He has the same issues. People love to talk about mechanics and throwing motion, Wilson imo has very good mechanics (as a thrower) and a tight throwing motion. He's completed 55% of his balls. Being accurate is about footwork being married to the play. Timing. That s**t only improves by playing more football. Repetition. Sam's got plenty of that under his belt (and still hasn't improved) Lance does not.

My take here is a much better environment will allow him to improve from his 92 rated season a year ago
Remember Alex how bad he sucked? Then JH got his hands on Alex was pounding his shoulder pads pregame, preaching ball security, he started posting historically low turnover rates. We won a ton of games. Then Reid gets his hands on Alex and he starts pushing the ball downfield, looking like the guy we drafted him to be..

You are building a straw man. Nobody thinks that if Trey proves……again proves it, then yes he should start. I do not think that's likely, I don't see how anybody could.
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on Mar 23, 2023 at 11:02 AM ]

You are building a straw man. Nobody thinks that if Trey proves……again proves it, then yes he should start. I do not think that's likely, I don't see how anybody could.

So in other words, the guy who accused me of not interpreting his post correct.. didn't interpret your post correct.. got it..

My take here is a much better environment will allow him to improve from his 92 rated season a year ago
Remember Alex how bad he sucked? Then JH got his hands on Alex was pounding his shoulder pads pregame, preaching ball security, he started posting historically low turnover rates. We won a ton of games. Then Reid gets his hands on Alex and he starts pushing the ball downfield, looking like the guy we drafted him to be..

You never told me how they come up with "qb rating" and why it's meaningful? Again let me know when you figure that out.

PFF had him rated as the 31st best QB this past yr FWIW.

One main reason Alex wasn't good, was because he missed like 46 games before Jim showed up. He got steady reps and finally figured it out from the head up. He actually became a pocket passing QB. Sam has yet to show anything there.

Sure Danold might magically figure it out, but overall nothing has changed as far as what he's was bad at. Clips like the one I provided have show showed up from on film from day 1 to last yr.

Bahahaha the old "straw man" comment when you know you've been figured out. Typical rebuttal.

You never told me how they come up with "qb rating" and why it's meaningful? Again let me know when you figure that out.

PFF had him rated as the 31st best QB this past yr FWIW.

One main reason Alex wasn't good, was because he missed like 46 games before Jim showed up. He got steady reps and finally figured it out from the head up. He actually became a pocket passing QB. Sam has yet to show anything there.

Sure Danold might magically figure it out, but overall nothing has changed as far as what he's was bad at. Clips like the one I provided have show showed up from on film from day 1 to last yr.

With Alex the coaching impact of going to JH was night and day difference..

Now Darnold goes from Gase, Rhule, Wilks who is a D specialist in an interim capacity, to Shanny. That's going from a Banquet TV dinner to the House of Prime Rib.

Exactly. Both have the same issues. The difference is 1 has 4 games under his belt and has time to improve. The other has 55 games under his belt and has shown little sign of improvement.
I personally think that it's possible to like one particular QB over another particular QB and still be a faithful fan of the Niners. Doubting a QB, whether reasonable or not, is just an opinion, which I think we are still entitled to have. As far as draft capital and where a person was chosen, that is a ginormous crapshoot. See Druckenmiller, Sanchez, Carmazzi, Culpepper, Leinart, Pennington, Quinn, Boller, George, Harrington, Ware, Marinovich...and Ryan Leaf.
Share 49ersWebzone