There are 219 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LetsRoll:
I personally think that it's possible to like one particular QB over another particular QB and still be a faithful fan of the Niners. Doubting a QB, whether reasonable or not, is just an opinion, which I think we are still entitled to have. As far as draft capital and where a person was chosen, that is a ginormous crapshoot. See Druckenmiller, Sanchez, Carmazzi, Culpepper, Leinart, Pennington, Quinn, Boller, George, Harrington, Ware, Marinovich...and Ryan Leaf.

I mean you call also toss out all the QBs drafted in day three that didn't turn into pro-bowler too…if we're gonna be fair about it, no?

there's a reason SF spent those picks. Thinking that they all of sudden think he blows and can't improve because of 100 random passing attempts would be incredibly short-sighted. I can't imagine they would be that dumb considering where Lance was at when they drafted him.

Brock coming in and playing well is an awesome story. Hopefully he gets healthy in enough time to be part of TC. If they think he's ready to go and Lance doesn't show enough come WK1…then I would assume Brock would be the guy.

IMO Darnold isn't part of the starting conversation…regardless of what is said. I don't see them splitting reps or anything. We will find out.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 23, 2023 at 11:55 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I mean you call also toss our all the QBs drafted in day three that didn't turn into pro-bowler too…if we're gonna be fair about it, no?

there's a reason SF spent those picks. Thinking that they all of sudden think he blows and can't improve because of 100 random passing attempts would be incredibly short-sighted. I can't imagine they would be that dumb considering where Lance was at when they drafted him.

Brock coming in and playing well is an awesome story. Hopefully he gets healthy in enough time to be part of TC. If they think he's ready to go and Lance doesn't show enough come WK1…then I would assume Brock would be the guy.

IMO Darnold isn't part of the starting conversation…regardless of what is said. I don't see them splitting reps or anything. We will find out.

There were reports that people in the building thought he was more ready to start than Mac Jones... who was widely viewed as the most pro ready QB of the three options we were choosing between.

If those reports were true, you can start to see the beginnings of our situational problem here.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Fair enough, he has some habits to work on / correct, however clearly KS wanted him on our roster and sees something here.. and even if the mechanics aren't pitch perfect, if he brings his play from last year with a much, much improved cast around him and coaching, play calls, etc.

Yeah he could be a backup that could play for a game here or there. I don't see how you could name him the starter or anything like that.

kyle's offense is all about timing and proper footwork. It's a reason why so many people thought Jones made sense. He just stinks at everything else and his upside is that of a Jimmy G (just much doucher).

I would imagine he likes Sam because he's mobile and does well with those bootleg type plays. He can throw from all kinds of platforms. And overall he sounds like a decent human.

hey maybe he completely changes everything as turns into a pro-bowler. I'm not gonna put money down on that though.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
There were reports that people in the building thought he was more ready to start than Mac Jones... who was widely viewed as the most pro ready QB of the three options we were choosing between.

If those reports were true, you can start to see the beginnings of our situational problem here.

I think it was smarter. Football IQ.

What he did at NDSU was a lot of pro-style stuff. Things that we do here…he simply wasn't able to do more of it. He then got injured early in camp his rookie year (had to learn how to hold a football differently) then broke his ankle 5QRs into his first yr as the starter.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 23, 2023 at 12:11 PM ]
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Yup. They won 10-7. 🤣

Since they won clearly Darnold outdueled the competition.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Yup. They won 10-7. 🤣

Since they won clearly Darnold outdueled the competition.

4-2 this yr though!!
I think it was smarter. Football IQ.

What he did at NDSU was a lot of pro-style stuff. Things that we do here…he simply wasn't able to do more of it. He then got injured early in camp his rookie year (had to learn how to hold a football differently) then broke his ankle 5QRs into his first yr as the starter.

I remember that report as well. I'm sure it was a basis for thinking he was the most pro ready of the three.

Understanding that the sample size is very small, I think we can safely say he wasn't ready to hit the ground running, regardless of any comparison to the other rookies. Among all these different arguments there's nearly complete agreement that he needs playing time to improve. If there was a thought that would/could be expedited, or if a year on the bench would be enough to adequately prepare him to be a successful starter, you can see a problem.
KS wanted him and offered up to $11.5m.. KS one of the biggest Darnold backers around he's been interested for years reportedly. Just need to ask yourself why that is.

"Lol offered up to" that means absolutely nothing. He got $3.5m in gtd cash, that's all that matters.…that's a straw man comment if I've ever seen.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
I remember that report as well. I'm sure it was a basis for thinking he was the most pro ready of the three.

Understanding that the sample size is very small, I think we can safely say he wasn't ready to hit the ground running, regardless of any comparison to the other rookies. Among all these different arguments there's nearly complete agreement that he needs playing time to improve. If there was a thought that would/could be expedited, or if a year on the bench would be enough to adequately prepare him to be a successful starter, you can see a problem.

Huh? It was a football IQ test. That doesn't mean you're the most pro-ready. No need to reach there.

Brock was more pro-ready simply based off the amount of football he played. The question there was how much can you improve after playing that much prior, then add in his limitations as a thrower/size etc. so far he's kicked those narratives in the dick lol…is it sustainable? We will see.

I stated from day 1 he needed to play his rookie year. People in here wouldn't have it. They said he can learn on the bench which is hogwash overall. Only way he's gonna improve is by playing football. Only people that see that as a problem are the people that never wanted that to be an option. I'll bet money Lance from WK18 wouldn't be the same as Lance from WK1. Unfortunately we never got to that point…but we did get to see Brock.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 23, 2023 at 12:27 PM ]
Huh? It was a football IQ test. That doesn't mean you're the most pro-ready. No need to reach there.

Brock was more pro-ready simply based off the amount of football he played. The question there was how much can you improve after playing that much prior, then add in his limitations as a thrower/size etc. so far he's kicked those narratives in the dick lol…is it sustainable? We will see.

I stated from day 1 he needed to play his rookie year. People in here wouldn't have it. They said he can learn on the bench which is hogwash overall. Only way he's gonna improve is by playing football. Only people that see that as a problem are the people that never wanted that to be an option. I'll bet money Lance from WK18 wouldn't be the same as Lance from WK1. Unfortunately we never got to that point…but we did get to see Brock.

I'm saying I remember the report you linked, but there was also a report, from Schefter, that said there were people in the building who thought he was more ready to start than Mac Jones. It's two different reports.

KS wanted him and offered up to $11.5m.. KS one of the biggest Darnold backers around he's been interested for years reportedly. Just need to ask yourself why that is.

"Lol offered up to" that means absolutely nothing. He got $3.5m in gtd cash, that's all that matters.…that's a straw man comment if I've ever seen.

Actually it was an attempt to move the goal posts after I proved his stats during that 4-2 record weren't all that great.
Come to see if there's any updates on Brock and what do I get? 6 out of 10 posts on this page from a particular poster, continuing to prop up Trey.

Sh*ts old and desperate.

Actually it was an attempt to move the goal posts after I proved his stats during that 4-2 record weren't all that great.

If you win you outdueled the opposition QB. Stats be damned.

This is the way.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

If you win you outdueled the opposition QB. Stats be damned.

This is the way.

So which ever pile of dogs**t smells a little better wins?
Share 49ersWebzone