There are 142 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Thanks, yeah it's large but it will come off:). Sturdy Purdy.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Does Dirty Purdy wear briefs or boxers? Fruit of the Loom of Under Armor?

Umm lol why is this important? 🫠
Originally posted by Montana:

that is how obsessions get started

Mayo has an incessant need for news no matter the form or topic
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Just wanted to know if his tingle is affected by wearing briefs or boxers.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by tankle104:
honest question - I'm curious to hear others opinions.

is there anything that lance does as a second year QB with two training camps under his belt that is better than Purdy? (Outside of arm strength and running a 40 - because we know Purdy is a better scrambler).

If Purdy is a better scrambler why does he average less than one yard per carry?

If you don't understand scrambling and designed running plays. Then.. well idk what to say besides do some Google research.

usually, when a qb is good at playing qb.. you know, passing? You don't just run them into the ground. Lol purdy def ran for first downs a few times and/or ran away from defenders trying to take him down. (He needs to stop running left out of clean pockets though). Even Pete Carroll was calling him fran tarkenton.

did Purdy have any designed runs besides a handful of qb sneaks? (I'm really not sure).
"Let me take someone who has some exceptional ability to elevate the pass game and very accurate - and just run him into the ground".

i personally think the way kyle runs Lance is because he doesn't trust him to pass accurately, at least not yet. Otherwise, it makes absolutely no sense- not at the rate he does and situations he does. No one with half a brain cell would run their qb that way if the qb was effective as a passer. Josh allen at least is productive and efficient running - not 4 yards a carry on his best day, but is relied on to pass the ball more than run it. There is a time and place go run your qb, not like he is a damn running back. Otherwise, just get rid of one of your running backs - waste of a roster spot.

even if Lance was an exceptional runner, which he is okay - he's physical and that isn't a great thing long term, but not nearly as good as the lamar/fields/Murray etc of the world - I wouldn't want him being ran as much or the way he was. No one should - it just breaks down your qb. Quick, fast, and in a hurry. I hope he learns how to protect himself better.

i think 99% of fans want their qb to be able to scramble to extend plays (but pass first). They also only want their qb to run, and put their body in jeopardy, when it's very important like a 3rd down or a goal line run. Not on first and second down on your own 30. I don't blame Lance for that, I think it's just a reflection of his rawness and inability to pass accuracy consistently in kyles mind.

my two favorite traits in a qb are accuracy and "clutch gene". So far, in our small sample size (but did it more in that sample size than most in history as a rookie), Purdy has that. Can't wait to watch him play once he's fully healthy.

i hope Lance proves me wrong and balls too. I don't want the guy to fail. Just not confident in him. It would do nothing but benefit the 49ers.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 24, 2023 at 12:34 AM ]
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Damn his elbow brace is huge.

Was there a pic or somethin?

Yeah, a video on IG I believe. His arm looks almost robotic hahaha

What I thought was the most hilarious was that his girl had him driving with only one hand. Which I think most of us do but not with the understanding that I can't use my other hand if i want.

"let's go on a road trip. I'll use my good hand" lmaoo she's wild
If you don't understand scrambling and designed running plays. Then.. well idk what to say besides do some Google research.

usually, when a qb is good at playing qb.. you know, passing? You don't just run them into the ground. Lol purdy def ran for first downs a few times and/or ran away from defenders trying to take him down. (He needs to stop running left out of clean pockets though). Even Pete Carroll was calling him fran tarkenton.

did Purdy have any designed runs besides a handful of qb sneaks? (I'm really not sure).
"Let me take someone who has some exceptional ability to elevate the pass game and very accurate - and just run him into the ground".

i personally think the way kyle runs Lance is because he doesn't trust him to pass accurately, at least not yet. Otherwise, it makes absolutely no sense- not at the rate he does and situations he does. No one with half a brain cell would run their qb that way if the qb was effective as a passer. Josh allen at least is productive and efficient running - not 4 yards a carry on his best day, but is relied on to pass the ball more than run it. There is a time and place go run your qb, not like he is a damn running back. Otherwise, just get rid of one of your running backs - waste of a roster spot.

even if Lance was an exceptional runner, which he is okay - he's physical and that isn't a great thing long term, but not nearly as good as the lamar/fields/Murray etc of the world - I wouldn't want him being ran as much or the way he was. No one should - it just breaks down your qb. Quick, fast, and in a hurry. I hope he learns how to protect himself better.

i think 99% of fans want their qb to be able to scramble to extend plays (but pass first). They also only want their qb to run, and put their body in jeopardy, when it's very important like a 3rd down or a goal line run. Not on first and second down on your own 30. I don't blame Lance for that, I think it's just a reflection of his rawness and inability to pass accuracy consistently in kyles mind.

my two favorite traits in a qb are accuracy and "clutch gene". So far, in our small sample size (but did it more in that sample size than most in history as a rookie), Purdy has that. Can't wait to watch him play once he's fully healthy.

i hope Lance proves me wrong and balls too. I don't want the guy to fail. Just not confident in him. It would do nothing but benefit the 49ers.

This might not be perfect but just for fun:

2 designed rushes for a total of -3 yards
3 qb sneaks for 3 yards
11 kneel downs for -12 yards

He had a scramble where he was stopped by the endzone for 2 yards (Tampa Bay)
He had another scramble where he gave himself up after getting effectively a game clinching 1st down. (@Seattle)
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Mar 24, 2023 at 12:58 AM ]

This might not be perfect but just for fun:

2 designed rushes for a total of -3 yards
3 qb sneaks for 3 yards
11 kneel downs for -12 yards

He had a scramble where he was stopped by the endzone for 2 yards (Tampa Bay)
He had another scramble where he gave himself up after getting effectively a game clinching 1st down. (@Seattle)

Appreciate it - yeah I def wouldn't rely on his rushing ability, but that is different than scrambling. Scrambling is more
where you create time and space for someone to get open and/or avoid sacks to throw away. Things of that nature
Appreciate it - yeah I def wouldn't rely on his rushing ability, but that is different than scrambling. Scrambling is more
where you create time and space for someone to get open and/or avoid sacks to throw away. Things of that nature

To add to that last post, Purdy averages slightly over 4 yards per scramble.

Lance averages 6.5 (considerably better than his designed rush average).

I can't account for any scrambles where either player ended up sacked.

Do you know What his designed rush average in just the games he's starter? (Lance)
I think the best context we have (which isn't much) are the games he started because the gameplan is designed for his skill set, practiced all week, and the other team plans for him.

i think his other stats from essentially trick packages, which if they worked - great, but it isn't something the other team prepped for etc.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 24, 2023 at 1:38 AM ]

It'a yet another example why we can't just come to conclusions based on stats alone. Trey is not a better scrambler than a QB that makes coaches mention Fran Tarkenton and gets compared to Pat Mahomes
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Mayo has an incessant need for news no matter the form or topic

I don't know, I just try to keep the conversation going. Otherwise, this place is dead.
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:

It'a yet another example why we can't just come to conclusions based on stats alone. Trey is not a better scrambler than a QB that makes coaches mention Fran Tarkenton and gets compared to Pat Mahomes

You don't even have to look at the stats. You could watch Trey's games against the hawks in 2021 and the cards game that season as well and see how great Trey is at avoiding pressure and making plays with his feet. His 11.9% pressure to sack rate suggests that he is better at avoiding pressure than Brock who has a P2S rate of 18.0%.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:

You don't even have to look at the stats. You could watch Trey's games against the hawks in 2021 and the cards game that season as well and see how great Trey is at avoiding pressure and making plays with his feet. His 11.9% pressure to sack rate suggests that he is better at avoiding pressure than Brock who has a P2S rate of 18.0%.

Numbers suggest, but Pete Carrol wasn't calling Trey Fran Tarkenton after seeing Trey. I'll take his opinion over numbers on a screen. I'll also take the film over numbers on a screen
Share 49ersWebzone