There are 180 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Appreciate it - yeah I def wouldn't rely on his rushing ability, but that is different than scrambling. Scrambling is more
where you create time and space for someone to get open and/or avoid sacks to throw away. Things of that nature

To add to that last post, Purdy averages slightly over 4 yards per scramble.

Lance averages 6.5 (considerably better than his designed rush average).

I can't account for any scrambles where either player ended up sacked.

It'a yet another example why we can't just come to conclusions based on stats alone. Trey is not a better scrambler than a QB that makes coaches mention Fran Tarkenton and gets compared to Pat Mahomes

You don't even have to look at the stats. You could watch Trey's games against the hawks in 2021 and the cards game that season as well and see how great Trey is at avoiding pressure and making plays with his feet. His 11.9% pressure to sack rate suggests that he is better at avoiding pressure than Brock who has a P2S rate of 18.0%.

Numbers suggest, but Pete Carrol wasn't calling Trey Fran Tarkenton after seeing Trey. I'll take his opinion over numbers on a screen. I'll also take the film over numbers on a screen

Numbers don't lie and I don't trust anything that comes out of that snakes mouth. I also brought up two games that you can watch of Trey's that demonstrate his ability to avoid pressure and make plays with his feet. The numbers simply back up what the film shows.

A majority of Brock's scrambles lead to incomplete passes and he was sacked at a higher rate than Trey when pressured. But keep throwing out hype as if its evidence.
Appreciate it - yeah I def wouldn't rely on his rushing ability, but that is different than scrambling. Scrambling is more
where you create time and space for someone to get open and/or avoid sacks to throw away. Things of that nature

It'a yet another example why we can't just come to conclusions based on stats alone. Trey is not a better scrambler than a QB that makes coaches mention Fran Tarkenton and gets compared to Pat Mahomes

You don't even have to look at the stats. You could watch Trey's games against the hawks in 2021 and the cards game that season as well and see how great Trey is at avoiding pressure and making plays with his feet. His 11.9% pressure to sack rate suggests that he is better at avoiding pressure than Brock who has a P2S rate of 18.0%.

Numbers suggest, but Pete Carrol wasn't calling Trey Fran Tarkenton after seeing Trey. I'll take his opinion over numbers on a screen. I'll also take the film over numbers on a screen

Numbers don't lie and I don't trust anything that comes out of that snakes mouth. I also brought up two games that you can watch of Trey's that demonstrate his ability to avoid pressure and make plays with his feet. The numbers simply back up what the film shows.

A majority of Brock's scrambles lead to incomplete passes and he was sacked at a higher rate than Trey when pressured. But keep throwing out hype as if its evidence.

Brock has done an amazing job of scrambling out of sacks and finding ways to get rid of the ball when there's nothing there. Things our vet QB Jimmy could only dream of doing. Those incompletions on scrambles probably kept our offense on schedule more often than not. But go ahead with your numbers lol

Brock has done an amazing job of scrambling out of sacks and finding ways to get rid of the ball when there's nothing there. Things our vet QB Jimmy could only dream of doing. Those incompletions on scrambles probably kept our offense on schedule more often than not. But go ahead with your numbers lol

Forget the numbers than. A prime example would be the difference in the way both QB's approach the scramble drill. Trey hasn't shown any tendencies when scrambling. He will scramble up the middle, to the right and to the left. A majority of Brock's scrambles are to the left. Trey presses the LOS when he scrambles and keeps his eyes downfield. I saw him make a number of great throws while scrambling and never really seen him drift backwards. Brock tends to drift backwards and mostly uses his feet to buy time in order to throw the ball away. One uses his feet mostly to buy time to make a play while the other uses his feet mostly to buy time in order to throw the ball away.

Forget the numbers than. A prime example would be the difference in the way both QB's approach the scramble drill. Trey hasn't shown any tendencies when scrambling. He will scramble up the middle, to the right and to the left. A majority of Brock's scrambles are to the left. Trey presses the LOS when he scrambles and keeps his eyes downfield. I saw him make a number of great throws while scrambling and never really seen him drift backwards. Brock tends to drift backwards and mostly uses his feet to buy time in order to throw the ball away. One uses his feet mostly to buy time to make a play while the other uses his feet mostly to buy time in order to throw the ball away.

Usually when Trey starts running that's it. He doesn't have the head on him in crisis to even know where he could throw the ball away. When he runs hes taking off 90% percent of the time. It's hit or miss the rare times he does find a target while scrambling because he's not under control. Brock is much more calm and cerebral while on the move

Usually when Trey starts running that's it. He doesn't have the head on him in crisis to even know where he could throw the ball away. When he runs hes taking off 90% percent of the time. It's hit or miss the rare times he does find a target while scrambling because he's not under control. Brock is much more calm and cerebral while on the move

This statement is total bs. He has made just as many plays with his arm as he has with his feet when scrambling. Yes, Brock has thrown the ball away more often and yet still gets sacked at a higher rate. If you want to talk about what Brock is better at than Trey, that's fine but this isn't it.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Mar 24, 2023 at 4:52 AM ]

This statement is total bs. He has made just as many plays with his arm as he has with his feet when scrambling. Yes, Brock has thrown the ball away more often and yet still gets sacked at a higher rate. If you want to talk about what Brock is better at than Trey, that's fine but this isn't it.

I think that statement is the literal truth lol. Trey has as many rushes as completions or something like that and you're saying he doesn't look to take off most of the time?

I think that statement is the literal truth lol. Trey has as many rushes as completions or something like that and you're saying he doesn't look to take off most of the time?

We aren't talking about designed runs. We are talking scrambles. I will just chalk your attempt to move the goal post up as an L.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Mar 24, 2023 at 5:03 AM ]

We aren't talking about designed runs. We are talking scrambles. I will just chalk your attempt to move the goal post up as an L.

A QB doesn't come up with that stat without taking off an exorbitant amount, but go ahead and keep creating your own little world of winning

A QB doesn't come up with that stat without taking off an exorbitant amount, but go ahead and keep creating your own little world of winning

So you are saying you are incapable of distinguishing the difference between a designed run and a scramble? Got it.

So you are saying you are incapable of distinguishing the difference between a designed run and a scramble? Got it.

Nice win bro

Couple of things I want to see this next pre season based off the above posters comments.
For Trey if he goes into a scramble (not designed run) I would like to see him keep his eyes down field and hit the occasional receiver who waves their hand that they're getting open.
For Brock I would like to see not to favor the left scramble most of the time. I realize that Trent is on that side not Mclinchy, but even with a new RT defensive coordinators will load up on that tendency.

I hope both QBs do well this pre season assuming both can get reps in camp. I don't think Darnold should be anything more than emergency at this point.
[ Edited by mitpdub on Mar 24, 2023 at 7:48 AM ]

I think Purdy is an amazing scrambler - def not a very good rushing qb. Lol I personally thought he was incredible at scrambling to create more time and avoid sacks. When Trey scrambles be tends to rush forward to avoid the sack and gets a couple yards, while Purdy keeps his eyes downfield. Neither are bad things to do - just I prefer to still try to complete a pass
I'll definitely pay attention to how often he scrambles left out of clean pockets this season, though. He started getting himself in trouble with that.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 24, 2023 at 8:14 AM ]
Originally posted by mitpdub:
Couple of things I want to see this next pre season based off the above posters comments.
For Trey if he goes into a scramble (not designed run) I would like to see him keep his eyes down field and hit the occasional receiver who waves their hand that they're getting open.
For Brock I would like to see not to favor the left scramble most of the time. I realize that Trent is on that side not Mclinchy, but even with a new RT defensive coordinators will load up on that tendency.

I hope both QBs do well this pre season assuming both can get reps in camp. I don't think Darnold should be anything more than emergency at this point.

Yeah, teams will try to bait him into it until he proves otherwise. There were a few times he should of stepped up into the pocket, which is easy for us to say watching, but it'll be interesting. I feel like he will make that improvement, he seemed to correct his bad tendencies pretty quick.

Hmm idk if he will play in the preseason. I'd be shocked if he does
I hope Trey and Purdy were able to figure out what the hell Jimmy does on qb sneaks because that man was incredible at getting that yard. Hahah

purdy had a couple of qb sneaks that weren't too pretty. He had one that I remember that was really nice. - I don't remember him doing them much.
I hope Trey and Purdy were able to figure out what the hell Jimmy does on qb sneaks because that man was incredible at getting that yard. Hahah

purdy had a couple of qb sneaks that weren't too pretty. He had one that I remember that was really nice. - I don't remember him doing them much.

Trey did a QB sneak successfully this past season I would like to see them call it more for him. He has the size to his advantage as well as opposed to Brock.
Share 49ersWebzone