There are 192 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
That girl needs to draw Brock every day until he starts again.

Don't jinx it
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:

Big F-you to Saban.

Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by Montana:
Umm lol why is this important? 🫠

Mayo has an incessant need for news no matter the form or topic

I don't know, I just try to keep the conversation going. Otherwise, this place is dead.

I would have to say Mayo is right, what Brock wears is especially important due to his large size. When he runs it swings so it is important to know how it's going to affect his escapability going forward.

some hunnie:"Does it hang low, does it wobble to and fro, can you throw it over your shoulder like a continental solider"

Brock: absolutely, next question.

100%
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
honest question - I'm curious to hear others opinions.

is there anything that lance does as a second year QB with two training camps under his belt that is better than Purdy? (Outside of arm strength and running a 40 - because we know Purdy is a better scrambler).

If Purdy is a better scrambler why does he average less than one yard per carry?

If you don't understand scrambling and designed running plays. Then.. well idk what to say besides do some Google research.

usually, when a qb is good at playing qb.. you know, passing? You don't just run them into the ground. Lol purdy def ran for first downs a few times and/or ran away from defenders trying to take him down. (He needs to stop running left out of clean pockets though). Even Pete Carroll was calling him fran tarkenton.

did Purdy have any designed runs besides a handful of qb sneaks? (I'm really not sure).
"Let me take someone who has some exceptional ability to elevate the pass game and very accurate - and just run him into the ground".

i personally think the way kyle runs Lance is because he doesn't trust him to pass accurately, at least not yet. Otherwise, it makes absolutely no sense- not at the rate he does and situations he does. No one with half a brain cell would run their qb that way if the qb was effective as a passer. Josh allen at least is productive and efficient running - not 4 yards a carry on his best day, but is relied on to pass the ball more than run it. There is a time and place go run your qb, not like he is a damn running back. Otherwise, just get rid of one of your running backs - waste of a roster spot.

even if Lance was an exceptional runner, which he is okay - he's physical and that isn't a great thing long term, but not nearly as good as the lamar/fields/Murray etc of the world - I wouldn't want him being ran as much or the way he was. No one should - it just breaks down your qb. Quick, fast, and in a hurry. I hope he learns how to protect himself better.

i think 99% of fans want their qb to be able to scramble to extend plays (but pass first). They also only want their qb to run, and put their body in jeopardy, when it's very important like a 3rd down or a goal line run. Not on first and second down on your own 30. I don't blame Lance for that, I think it's just a reflection of his rawness and inability to pass accuracy consistently in kyles mind.

my two favorite traits in a qb are accuracy and "clutch gene". So far, in our small sample size (but did it more in that sample size than most in history as a rookie), Purdy has that. Can't wait to watch him play once he's fully healthy.

i hope Lance proves me wrong and balls too. I don't want the guy to fail. Just not confident in him. It would do nothing but benefit the 49ers.

Great scramblers end up getting yardage. Purdy had ONE great scramble for positive yards. ONE. Where he deadlegged a defender, and from that you assume he's a better scrambler. The other scrambles (which didn't go for any yards) were mostly running backwards to throw the ball away, some which hurt the offense, most of which helped because of the throwaway, and one which would have been a highlight reel play which was dropped. Lance has not played enough to get those opportunities, but he has made a few great scrambles, and his yards lost per sack are fewer than both Brock and Raiders' QB Jimmy Garoppolo. (Lance: 4.0; Brock: 7.64; Jimmy: 6.67). Trey Lance's yards per scramble last year were 4.3. Brock's were 4.2.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/passing_advanced.htm
(you'll find it under pressure statistics)

So, Lance not only loses fewer yards per sack than Purdy, he also gains more yards per scramble than Purdy. Please explain to me how that makes Purdy a better scrambler.

is there anything that lance does as a second year QB with two training camps under his belt that is better than Purdy? (Outside of arm strength and running a 40 - because we know Purdy is a better scrambler).

If Purdy is a better scrambler why does he average less than one yard per carry?

If you don't understand scrambling and designed running plays. Then.. well idk what to say besides do some Google research.

usually, when a qb is good at playing qb.. you know, passing? You don't just run them into the ground. Lol purdy def ran for first downs a few times and/or ran away from defenders trying to take him down. (He needs to stop running left out of clean pockets though). Even Pete Carroll was calling him fran tarkenton.

did Purdy have any designed runs besides a handful of qb sneaks? (I'm really not sure).
"Let me take someone who has some exceptional ability to elevate the pass game and very accurate - and just run him into the ground".

i personally think the way kyle runs Lance is because he doesn't trust him to pass accurately, at least not yet. Otherwise, it makes absolutely no sense- not at the rate he does and situations he does. No one with half a brain cell would run their qb that way if the qb was effective as a passer. Josh allen at least is productive and efficient running - not 4 yards a carry on his best day, but is relied on to pass the ball more than run it. There is a time and place go run your qb, not like he is a damn running back. Otherwise, just get rid of one of your running backs - waste of a roster spot.

even if Lance was an exceptional runner, which he is okay - he's physical and that isn't a great thing long term, but not nearly as good as the lamar/fields/Murray etc of the world - I wouldn't want him being ran as much or the way he was. No one should - it just breaks down your qb. Quick, fast, and in a hurry. I hope he learns how to protect himself better.

i think 99% of fans want their qb to be able to scramble to extend plays (but pass first). They also only want their qb to run, and put their body in jeopardy, when it's very important like a 3rd down or a goal line run. Not on first and second down on your own 30. I don't blame Lance for that, I think it's just a reflection of his rawness and inability to pass accuracy consistently in kyles mind.

my two favorite traits in a qb are accuracy and "clutch gene". So far, in our small sample size (but did it more in that sample size than most in history as a rookie), Purdy has that. Can't wait to watch him play once he's fully healthy.

i hope Lance proves me wrong and balls too. I don't want the guy to fail. Just not confident in him. It would do nothing but benefit the 49ers.

Great scramblers end up getting yardage. Purdy had ONE great scramble for positive yards. ONE. Where he deadlegged a defender, and from that you assume he's a better scrambler. The other scrambles (which didn't go for any yards) were mostly running backwards to throw the ball away, some which hurt the offense, most of which helped because of the throwaway, and one which would have been a highlight reel play which was dropped. Lance has not played enough to get those opportunities, but he has made a few great scrambles, and his yards lost per sack are fewer than both Brock and Raiders' QB Jimmy Garoppolo. (Lance: 4.0; Brock: 7.64; Jimmy: 6.67). Trey Lance's yards per scramble last year were 4.3. Brock's were 4.2.

So, Lance not only loses fewer yards per sack than Purdy, he also gains more yards per scramble than Purdy. Please explain to me how that makes Purdy a better scrambler.

I guess we just have different criteria on what makes a great scrambler - I think rushing forward should be a last case scenario and you scramble to keep the play alive to find someone to throw to.

id be curious if there are stats about how many plays Purdy extended by making a defender miss or running around to extend the play - and what the outcomes were. Including throwaways but still bought everyone more time. It felt like he was doing that every game

i think using rushing yards as the main measuring tool to define if someone is a good scrambling qb, is a little naive. It's helpful to the team, no doubt, but if a player is quick to rush forward when a play breaks down - you'll sacrifice a lot of potential big Chunk plays and/or third downs over a few positive yards. Sometimes that's all that's available, but in l general, I think great scrambling QBs pass the ball/throw it away on scrambles more so than run.

idk if that's measured or that data is collected
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 24, 2023 at 6:26 PM ]
Originally posted by Koldo:
Big F-you to Saban.

Saban only ended up with QBs that would go 2nd round, 1st round, 1st round. If anyone was in position to turn down a QB, it was Bama.
Just saw a guy that looks like he could be Brock's brother. Looks so much like him haha. Same kinda eyes. Maybe I should ask him who his favorite football team is. Lol. Or if he can sign my jersey /j
Originally posted by Montana:
Just saw a guy that looks like he could be Brock's brother. Looks so much like him haha. Same kinda eyes. Maybe I should ask him who his favorite football team is. Lol. Or if he can sign my jersey /j

Hahah should take a picture and make a thing online where it's #almostpurdy
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Anyone know when Dirty is going to start throwing?
Originally posted by mayo49:
Anyone know when Dirty is going to start throwing?

Supposed to be 3 months after he had his surgery, as long as no hiccups in his recovery happens.

Jimmy is already gone
Originally posted by wysiwyg:

Jimmy is already gone

She's a curse! Look how long that took. Lmao stay away from dirty Purdy, drawing lady! Hahah

That is not a great measure of scrambling ability.

Brock has been great at moving in the pocket and making plays on the run.

Lance has been knocked out of the starting job twice in four starts due to running.

He should do it a lot less.
Originally posted by Koldo:

Big F-you to Saban.

Big FU to measurables.
Share 49ersWebzone