There are 325 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Heroism:
Is there a realistic scenario where Purdy is the starter and Sam Darnold beats out Trey for the backup spot?

Trey would have to be really bad. That would ruin trade value.

If Brock isn't ready for week 1 it will be an all out battle
Is there a realistic scenario where Purdy is the starter and Sam Darnold beats out Trey for the backup spot? Or Purdy isn't ready to go and Sam Darnold is the starter...lol

No there isn't
Obviously, any sensible person knew Brock Purdy is QB1, but what's a bit surprising to me is how Lynch kept including Sam Darnold in that group competing for the starting job lol.

Yeah - I've stayed away from talking about this on here but I also didn't realize the incentives that Darnold got in his contract.

makes me think there is more to the Trey and Darnold situation than we actually know. They may be working on some trade for draft day? That would be my first guess
But I would be surprised if Lance is traded.

could also be that Lance wants a chance to be QB1 and if he isn't getting that here, he may want to go to another team? The whole tricky part to this is his dead cap. I really am not sure, this is the biggest mystery to the qb room for me.

i will say that I find it odd that Darnold would be okay with be 3rd string. Some team would of given him at least 2nd
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 27, 2023 at 9:36 AM ]
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

So, Lance is still out on the course, with a chance to pass "the leader in the clubhouse."

At the very least, we should all be hoping Lance shows enough during his "time on the course" that he gains some actual trade value. That is the least we should be hoping for.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
they didn't even say Lance played good.. more like but but but.. it was raining

NFL is a what do you do with your opportunities business, excuses will buy you the bench.. we all saw what BP did with his opportunity

LOL if you call that "opportunities"

Lance has been given the starting job twice and lost it die to injury quickly both times.

Those were opportunities and they provided results. The data days that the game plan they had for him was risky.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
That's hysterical, Hysterikal. Hahahah love it.

myself and other have repeatedly said that the team hands down prefers Brock over Lance but for some reason they still think the team believes he will become a superstar and the team wants him to start to justify the picks. Completely asinine - such hopeful folks. Lol

Talk about taking literally everything out of context

Why do you feel like everything I'm saying is directed at you? I specifically remember you saying that if Brock is healthy week 1, you'd want him to start.

the difference between you and i is that you believe Lance can develop into a top 5 qb (superstar) and I don't. I think he has a cap of 8-12 (dak type). Which I don't think is enough to warrant what we traded, and I think that's worse than purdy. That's all.

Pretty sure most people, including myself, said that Lance would be QB1 until Purdy came back.

Nothing Lynch said changes that. Purdy has proven more but he's injured. What am I missing?

the injury timing is what I go back and forth about. The only reason to think he won't be ready is… well I guess just lack of historical data.

he will be throwing and working out for three months before the season even starts. It's not like he will wait 6 months and then get off the couch.

I've never really had a strong opinion about the injury timeline. My assumption is that Trey would start the season but he would be on a short leash due to Purdy's play or his health getting near 100%. Is it 1 game? 5 games? I have no idea.

I just assumed this could be a perfect time for Kyle to have his cake and eat it too. Essentially, he could get Trey some playing time but the team knows Purdy is the guy, but due to injury they could say he needs more time to get ready.

If it's zero games for Trey, and Purdy is completely healthy and playing well, then sign me up for that too.
Yeah - I've stayed away from talking about this on here but I also didn't realize the incentives that Darnold got in his contract.

makes me think there is more to the Trey and Darnold situation than we actually know. They may be working on some trade for draft day? That would be my first guess
But I would be surprised if Lance is traded.

could also be that Lance wants a chance to be QB1 and if he isn't getting that here, he may want to go to another team? The whole tricky part to this is his dead cap. I really am not sure, this is the biggest mystery to the qb room for me.

i will say that I find it odd that Darnold would be okay with be 3rd string. Some team would of given him at least 2nd

If the 9ers were confident in Darnold being a 2nd stringer he would've gotten a bigger guarantee.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
they didn't even say Lance played good.. more like but but but.. it was raining

NFL is a what do you do with your opportunities business, excuses will buy you the bench.. we all saw what BP did with his opportunity

LOL if you call that "opportunities"

Lance has been given the starting job twice and lost it die to injury quickly both times.

Those were opportunities and they provided results. The data days that the game plan they had for him was risky.

He's had as many injuries that have kept him from playing as he has full games.
the injury timing is what I go back and forth about. The only reason to think he won't be ready is… well I guess just lack of historical data.

he will be throwing and working out for three months before the season even starts. It's not like he will wait 6 months and then get off the couch.

There's a massive difference between throwing on the sidelines vs air and playing in a NFL football game though. He's gotta be in shape both physically and mentally. That's what TC is for. If he's fully cleared a couple days before the season starts. I don't see how they force him out there. If he's cleared before TC, well give me whatever he's been taking and let's see how camp goes lol.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I thinik everyone and their grandmother knew that Brock if healthy will be the opening game starter.

Originally posted by Waterbear:
I've never really had a strong opinion about the injury timeline. My assumption is that Trey would start the season but he would be on a short leash due to Purdy's play or his health getting near 100%. Is it 1 game? 5 games? I have no idea.

I just assumed this could be a perfect time for Kyle to have his cake and eat it too. Essentially, he could get Trey some playing time but the team knows Purdy is the guy, but due to injury they could say he needs more time to get ready.

If it's zero games for Trey, and Purdy is completely healthy and playing well, then sign me up for that too.

IR and Pup list for Purdy will be absolutely on the table IMO. Hopefully it won't come to that but that would allow for Trey to show what he can do.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

When was he given the job twice? His rookie year? He was the backup and played for an injured Jimmy. That was JG's team that whole year…unless they were completely out of it he wasn't gonna play. There was no competition.

He's opportunities have been 100 random passing attempts and a broken ankle on a blown Trent block lol. Stop it.

If Lance were traded post-June 1, the most likely scenario, the dead cap hit would be $5.4M but a cap savings of $3.3M.

Unless some team was to make a ridiculous draft offering, nothing else makes any sense at all.
He's had as many injuries that have kept him from playing as he has full games.

Correct some s**tty bad luck.
Originally posted by dj43:
If Lance were traded post-June 1, the most likely scenario, the dead cap hit would be $5.4M but a cap savings of $3.3M.

Unless some team was to make a ridiculous draft offering, nothing else makes any sense at all.

If you are going to trade Trey you wait until the trade deadline at minimum.
Share 49ersWebzone