There are 299 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

So, Lance is still out on the course, with a chance to pass "the leader in the clubhouse."

At the very least, we should all be hoping Lance shows enough during his "time on the course" that he gains some actual trade value. That is the least we should be hoping for.

Or just playing better than any QB on the roster…I don't care about trade value. I wanted whoever can become that dude long-term.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:

could also be that Lance wants a chance to be QB1 and if he isn't getting that here, he may want to go to another team? The whole tricky part to this is his dead cap. I really am not sure, this is the biggest mystery to the qb room for me.
If Lance were traded post-June 1, the most likely scenario, the dead cap hit would be $5.4M but a cap savings of $3.3M.

Unless some team was to make a ridiculous draft offering, nothing else makes any sense at all.

It won't happen for at least 2 years. Trey is insurance incase Brock isn't ready come opening day and beyond.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
the injury timing is what I go back and forth about. The only reason to think he won't be ready is… well I guess just lack of historical data.

he will be throwing and working out for three months before the season even starts. It's not like he will wait 6 months and then get off the couch.

There's a massive difference between throwing on the sidelines vs air and playing in a NFL football game though. He's gotta be in shape both physically and mentally. That's what TC is for. If he's fully cleared a couple days before the season starts. I don't see how they force him out there. If he's cleared before TC, well give me whatever he's been taking and let's see how camp goes lol.

He should be cleared to start throwing in June, a month or so before training camp. What none of us know is what kind of team activities will he participate in camp

idk how long the ramp up period to get him throwing decently will be.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Yeah - I've stayed away from talking about this on here but I also didn't realize the incentives that Darnold got in his contract.

makes me think there is more to the Trey and Darnold situation than we actually know. They may be working on some trade for draft day? That would be my first guess
But I would be surprised if Lance is traded.

could also be that Lance wants a chance to be QB1 and if he isn't getting that here, he may want to go to another team? The whole tricky part to this is his dead cap. I really am not sure, this is the biggest mystery to the qb room for me.

i will say that I find it odd that Darnold would be okay with be 3rd string. Some team would of given him at least 2nd

If the 9ers were confident in Darnold being a 2nd stringer he would've gotten a bigger guarantee.
I'm not sure I'm following the logic on that? If he accepts less, isn't that ideal? The only part that surprises me is he can make just as much with Lance if he plays.

i imagine he came here to get further developed and that's hard to do as a third stringer. I really don't know what it'll happen and signing surprised me as a whole.
I'm not sure I'm following the logic on that? If he accepts less, isn't that ideal? The only part that surprises me is he can make just as much with Lance if he plays.

i imagine he came here to get further developed and that's hard to do as a third stringer. I really don't know what it'll happen and signing surprised me as a whole.

He signed for less guaranteed money than Sudfeld did. If he felt he was the slam dunk 2nd stringer he would've asked for at least what a guy who got cut got no?
I love Trey Lance's potential in this offense but if Purdy is healthy (and it sounds like he will be ready around TC) then he should, and will, get the first shot at starting. KS/Lynch will not discount how well he played in his 8+ games this year.

Unless Purdy isn't ready because of injury, he will start week 1.

If Lance were traded post-June 1, the most likely scenario, the dead cap hit would be $5.4M but a cap savings of $3.3M.

Unless some team was to make a ridiculous draft offering, nothing else makes any sense at all.

Can you trade a player sooner than June first but it doesn't hit the books until after?

He signed for less guaranteed money than Sudfeld did. If he felt he was the slam dunk 2nd stringer he would've asked for at least what a guy who got cut got no?
no, it's all the wheeling and dealing between Agents and teams.

If Trey doesn't get hurt Jimmy doesn't get all that cash

Idk, he didn't get signed for Pennie's. His salary would be approx top 10 for second string at $3.5M.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 27, 2023 at 9:56 AM ]
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Lance has been given the starting job twice and lost it die to injury quickly both times.

Those were opportunities and they provided results. The data days that the game plan they had for him was risky.

When was he given the job twice? His rookie year? He was the backup and played for an injured Jimmy. That was JG's team that whole year…unless they were completely out of it he wasn't gonna play. There was no competition.

He's opportunities have been 100 random passing attempts and a broken ankle on a blown Trent block lol. Stop it.

Lance has been given the starting job twice and lost it die to injury quickly both times.

Those were opportunities and they provided results. The data days that the game plan they had for him was risky.

When was he given the job twice? His rookie year? He was the backup and played for an injured Jimmy. That was JG's team that whole year…unless they were completely out of it he wasn't gonna play. There was no competition.

He's opportunities have been 100 random passing attempts and a broken ankle on a blown Trent block lol. Stop it.

Didn't Lance injury his knee in the AZ start in 2021 and did not dress for the 49ers next start? I could be mistaken buy I thought that is how it went. I thought he might take the job if he stayed healthy.

He ran as often as he completed a pass. You have made it clear that you do not believe running a qb as often as passing increases injury risk, we are never gonna gree on that.

He should be cleared to start throwing in June, a month or so before training camp. What none of us know is what kind of team activities will he participate in camp

We have no clue if he will cleared for June either. Like I've been stating, it's was a completely torn ligament. I'm sure he's gonna get shot up with a ton of PRP injections and whatnot. It's just one of those types of injuries that doesn't have a he will be ready no matter what on this date. Lynch of course is gonna be super positive about it to the media…no reason not to right now.

We have no clue if he will cleared for June either. Like I've been stating, it's was a completely torn ligament. I'm sure he's gonna get shot up with a ton of PRP injections and whatnot. It's just one of those types of injuries that doesn't have a he will be ready no matter what on this date. Lynch of course is gonna be super positive about it to the media…no reason not to right now.

I think there is more reason to not say anything. I figured they'd be very general and say they'll wait to see how things play out
Idk, he didn't get signed for Pennie's. His salary would be approx top 10 for second string at $3.5M.

But it's not guaranteed. The guaranteed money tells you what the team thinks of the player.
Didn't Lance injury his knee in the AZ start in 2021 and did not dress for the 49ers next start? I could be mistaken buy I thought that is how it went. I thought he might take the job if he stayed healthy.

He ran as often as he completed a pass. You have made it clear that you do not believe running a qb as often as passing increases injury risk, we are never gonna gree on that.

Sprained knee. I mean all people told me was how awful he played that game…why would he get the start if Jimmy was ready to play the following week?

he ran because he had a week's worth of reps to be the starter vs AZ. He hadn't played a meaningful football game since 2019 at that point. No s**t he didn't look like a season vet out there.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

I think there is more reason to not say anything. I figured they'd be very general and say they'll wait to see how things play out

I think Lynch is just stating the obvious. Brock established he will be the starter come opening day, barring no setbacks. Everyone and their uncle has known this since last season. Just because he states it doesn't mean the plan can't change.
Share 49ersWebzone