LISTEN: Are The 49ers Headed For A Future Without Brandon Aiyuk? →

There are 126 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tankle104:
I think there is more reason to not say anything. I figured they'd be very general and say they'll wait to see how things play out

They said all the same s**t with Javon Kinlaw as well. They can say whatever they want right now. Truth is the surgery was a couple weeks ago, you can't determine (at this point) if he's gonna be ready to throw in June or be ready for camp…dudes walking around in a hinge brace.

we will all hope that he's ready to go with zero restrictions come TC
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 27, 2023 at 10:09 AM ]
f**k it, I like it. LFG!
  • dj43
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by dj43:
If Lance were traded post-June 1, the most likely scenario, the dead cap hit would be $5.4M but a cap savings of $3.3M.

Unless some team was to make a ridiculous draft offering, nothing else makes any sense at all.

If you are going to trade Trey you wait until the trade deadline at minimum.

It would depend on the offer but certainly not pre-June 1.

I can't see him beating out a healthy Purdy but a strong pre-season and maybe a game or two in-season would set him up for decent trade value. That is the least to hope for right now. Without showing at least some decent progress in actual games, he has only second-day draft value at best, IMO.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I think there is more reason to not say anything. I figured they'd be very general and say they'll wait to see how things play out

They said all the same s**t with Javon Kinlaw as well. They can say whatever they want right now. Truth is the surgery was a couple weeks ago, you can't determine (at this point) if he's gonna be ready to throw in June or be ready for camp…dudes walking around in a hinge brace.

we will all hope that he's ready to go with zero restrictions come TC

I know the brace looks like a cripples apperatice, but it's just to stabalize the elbow so it's no moving around while the healing takes place.

I can't see him beating out a healthy Purdy but a strong pre-season and maybe a game or two in-season would set him up for decent trade value. That is the least to hope for right now. Without showing at least some decent progress in actual games, he has only second-day draft value at best, IMO.

Right. So you wouldn't deal him unless you increased that value by playing in the actual season. Hence the trade deadline.
  • dj43
Originally posted by mayo49:

could also be that Lance wants a chance to be QB1 and if he isn't getting that here, he may want to go to another team? The whole tricky part to this is his dead cap. I really am not sure, this is the biggest mystery to the qb room for me.
If Lance were traded post-June 1, the most likely scenario, the dead cap hit would be $5.4M but a cap savings of $3.3M.

Unless some team was to make a ridiculous draft offering, nothing else makes any sense at all.

It won't happen for at least 2 years. Trey is insurance incase Brock isn't ready come opening day and beyond.

IMO, Darnold is that insurance policy right now. He opens the possibility of a Lance trade post-June 1. Unlikely, but possible.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

could also be that Lance wants a chance to be QB1 and if he isn't getting that here, he may want to go to another team? The whole tricky part to this is his dead cap. I really am not sure, this is the biggest mystery to the qb room for me.

It won't happen for at least 2 years. Trey is insurance incase Brock isn't ready come opening day and beyond.

IMO, Darnold is that insurance policy right now. He opens the possibility of a Lance trade post-June 1. Unlikely, but possible.

Agree.
  • dj43

Can you trade a player sooner than June first but it doesn't hit the books until after?

IDK
I know the brace looks like a cripples apperatice, but it's just to stabalize the elbow so it's no moving around while the healing takes place.

Brock Purdy channeling his inner Barry GOAT moves only.

[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 27, 2023 at 10:31 AM ]

Can you trade a player sooner than June first but it doesn't hit the books until after?

IDK

I just read some up on it and the short answer is yes. Here is the link for anyone interested.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/platform/amp/2020/3/19/21186561/understanding-the-post-june-1-designation

Love me some Lance, but Brock's emergence has been nothing short of legendary. A legit diamond in the rough. LFG!!
Originally posted by Heroism:

Brock Purdy channeling his inner Barry GOAT moves only.

I saw this

let's get him one that says BCB
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Mar 27, 2023 at 10:37 AM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Right. So you wouldn't deal him unless you increased that value by playing in the actual season. Hence the trade deadline.

...and hence the dilemma. Play him to increase his trade value at the risk of losing a game or two that would impact home field advantage in the playoffs vs playing the more experienced, more accomplished Purdy.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/platform/amp/2020/3/19/21186561/understanding-the-post-june-1-designation
Not saying this will happen, but it sounds like you can trade Lance in the draft and designate it as a post June 1 trade. Giving us the salary cap savings and pushing his dead cap to next year.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 27, 2023 at 10:37 AM ]
...and hence the dilemma. Play him to increase his trade value at the risk of losing a game or two that would impact home field advantage in the playoffs vs playing the more experienced, more accomplished Purdy.

Homefield is overrated. Just have the best QB you can have come week 18. Whatever that requires.

It's more play him to increase his trade value because Purdy isn't ready to go.
Share 49ersWebzone