There are 145 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Remember that Amazing dime that Aiyuk dropped that would of given Purdy 5 TDs in his first playoff game… 😶

Purdy was simply throwing his nuts on the table with this one. And in a playoff game, no less. This is definitely one of those "try and stop me plays" that Fred Warner spoke about seeing from Purdy in practice.

Plays like this are showing glimpses of "greatness" and/or "special". This play made me hard enough to put a hole in the Great Wall of China.

These are why to me he's very much in the Patrick Mahomes mold, but just with less physical talent. If you put an elite arm on him, the guy's a lock for an MVP at some point in his career (again, assuming no unexpected regression due to injury or something else). I've read cases of mechanics being forced to improve after injuries like these, and new and better muscle, all leading to a slightly stronger arm. I don't think he'll ever be elite in arm strength at all, but even a little better puts him in some rare company. Again, assuming all other things remain equal.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
So has Lance. He just hasn't played a lot so he has a smaller sample size. Do we need to go post the highlights again? I know a lot of Jimmy stans didn't even watch when he played his rookie year. But sack yards lost is a reasonable metric for gleaning information about scrambling ability and I'll die on that hill. Not the end all be all, but that's useful information.

Purdy hasn't played much either. The difference is there isn't much to criticism about his performance.

i still can't believe he came in as a 7th round rookie and performed at that level. It's amazing. Lol less 1% of that happening. so wild

The discussion I'm involved in was strictly about SCRAMBLING ABILITY. Prudy has shown unequivocally to be the better QB of the two thus far, and frankly, assuming last year wasn't a strange fluke (and assuming this injury or something else doesn't cause him to regress), he proved to be one of the better QBs in the entire NFL.

Yes, I 1000% agree with you. Purdy has been EXCELLENT when it comes to scrambling. Def one of the better ones in the league. That literally surprised everyone. Lol our front office/coaches and the teams we played.

fyi - I misread your initial post. I didn't mean to disagree with you.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 27, 2023 at 2:47 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Remember that Amazing dime that Aiyuk dropped that would of given Purdy 5 TDs in his first playoff game… 😶

Purdy was simply throwing his nuts on the table with this one. And in a playoff game, no less. This is definitely one of those "try and stop me plays" that Fred Warner spoke about seeing from Purdy in practice.

Plays like this are showing glimpses of "greatness" and/or "special". This play made me hard enough to put a hole in the Great Wall of China.

These are why to me he's very much in the Patrick Mahomes mold, but just with less physical talent. If you put an elite arm on him, the guy's a lock for an MVP at some point in his career (again, assuming no unexpected regression due to injury or something else). I've read cases of mechanics being forced to improve after injuries like these, and new and better muscle, all leading to a slightly stronger arm. I don't think he'll ever be elite in arm strength at all, but even a little better puts him in some rare company. Again, assuming all other things remain equal.

Yeah, it's really exciting to think about and I agree with you. There are just a few things he needs to clean up and they're really just minor bad habits like rolling out of a clean pocket to the left side, identifying certain defenders - he had a few risky plays that worked in his favor, outside of that… he's shockingly good.

i love his composure and confidence, gives me so much confidence when we are in tough situations.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Maybe a calculated risk with the throw, but his risk assessment should probably also include whether its worth it or not to take a massive hit while up 21 points with 5 minutes to go in the 4th.

Your point makes sense, but I think it's hard for players to turn it down a notch when they're reacting in plays. Probably a reason why you see QBs across the league taking on contact on runs in a lot of cases.

Coaches can protect the players too. You can go into full handoff mode with the score like that or even remove players... though I know most coaches won't bench starters unless the game is completely out of hand.
Lol I just noticed that Brock's middle name is Richard.

It's officially okay to call him Big Dick Purdy. Lmao that's great
So has Lance. He just hasn't played a lot so he has a smaller sample size. Do we need to go post the highlights again? I know a lot of Jimmy stans didn't even watch when he played his rookie year. But sack yards lost is a reasonable metric for gleaning information about scrambling ability and I'll die on that hill. Not the end all be all, but that's useful information.

Purdy hasn't played much either. The difference is there isn't much to criticism about his performance.

i still can't believe he came in as a 7th round rookie and performed at that level. It's amazing. Lol less 1% of that happening. so wild

The discussion I'm involved in was strictly about SCRAMBLING ABILITY. Prudy has shown unequivocally to be the better QB of the two thus far, and frankly, assuming last year wasn't a strange fluke (and assuming this injury or something else doesn't cause him to regress), he proved to be one of the better QBs in the entire NFL.

Yes, I 1000% agree with you. Purdy has been EXCELLENT when it comes to scrambling. Def one of the better ones in the league. That literally surprised everyone. Lol our front office/coaches and the teams we played.

Yes. Because I'm assuming you didn't watch when Trey play (turning the TV off when Jimmy went out as most Jimmy stans did) or else you would have seen similar plays which he made behind the line starting in the 2021 Seahawks game—which is, again, why his yards per sack are lower than Purdy. They are both pretty good at scrambling. Lance is probably better at the actual scrambling around part, but Purdy is better at throwing off platform during such scrambles. But again, both are good at it.
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Mar 27, 2023 at 3:10 PM ]

Yes. Because I'm assuming you didn't watch when Trey play (turning the TV off when Jimmy went out as most Jimmy stans did) or else you would have seen similar plays which he made behind the line starting in the 2021 Seahawks game—which is, again, why his yards per sack are lower than Purdy. They are both pretty good at scrambling. Lance is probably better at the actual scrambling around part, but Purdy is better at throwing off platform during such scrambles. But again, both are good at it.

Honestly, I've went back and watched a lot of his film and the best way I can answer it - I just expected him to be a lot better at it. Treys super physical, which is why he probably gets hurt so often, and doesn't make people miss like Purdy does. He also can't throw off platform as good as I expected. He's 3rd overall pick that we gave up, I just expected so much more out of him in regards to running ability.

i essentially was expecting to see him make some eye popping run plays and i don't feel like we got it. It was what he was touted about so much. I expected him to be able to move like fields, which is who I wanted, but he's very stiff and physical.

but no, he isn't "bad" at it but he isn't good enough at it that it's anything worth bragging about, in my eyes. Purdy was excellent at avoiding/extending - which Is what I think scrambling is all about. Not just running forward for a few yards. I like my qb to keep their eyes down the field and make clutch throws.

Yeah that was even a great play on Mahomes standards

Honestly, I've went back and watched a lot of his film and the best way I can answer it - I just expected him to be a lot better at it. Treys super physical, which is why he probably gets hurt so often, and doesn't make people miss like Purdy does. He also can't throw off platform as good as I expected. He's 3rd overall pick that we gave up, I just expected so much more out of him in regards to running ability.

i essentially was expecting to see him make some eye popping run plays and i don't feel like we got it. It was what he was touted about so much. I expected him to be able to move like fields, which is who I wanted, but he's very stiff and physical.

but no, he isn't "bad" at it but he isn't good enough at it that it's anything worth bragging about, in my eyes. Purdy was excellent at avoiding/extending - which Is what I think scrambling is all about. Not just running forward for a few yards. I like my qb to keep their eyes down the field and make clutch throws.

Like I said, he's made plenty of people miss. That's why I'm skeptical that guys who say things like that have either watched him or payed attention to what they were seeing. We just had a huge drama over someone saying he couldn't juke a linebacker get proven wrong by him juking a safety. He made MULTIPLE people miss on single plays against the Seahawks in 2021. Maybe you did really watch. But if so, then I can only imagine you didn't catch the difference between the physical ability to make people miss (which has been demonstrated by him multiple times) and bad vision and resultant hesitation, which hurt him on a couple of runs.

Like I said, he's made plenty of people miss. That's why I'm skeptical that guys who say things like that have either watched him or payed attention to what they were seeing. We just had a huge drama over someone saying he couldn't juke a linebacker get proven wrong by him juking a safety. He made MULTIPLE people miss on single plays against the Seahawks in 2021. Maybe you did really watch. But if so, then I can only imagine you didn't catch the difference between the physical ability to make people miss (which has been demonstrated by him multiple times) and bad vision and resultant hesitation, which hurt him on a couple of runs.

Agree to disagree. Lol I think Lance has been complete trash 85% of the plays he's had as a starter. So even if he is a good scrambler, big deal.

• Koldo
  • Veteran
[tweet

Where's that Pillbusta guy?

Apparently, Brock didn't need to win the SB to secure QB1.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by elguapo:

Uh, that doesn't sound like it would feel good.
Originally posted by krizay:
If that's true you would see it as only a 1.78 loss. And not the 10 million loss

I think you confused me with someone else. The $10M figure didn't come from me.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by elguapo:

Uh, that doesn't sound like it would feel good.

Sounds like a normal Saturday night for me when I'm watching his highlights 😈
Originally posted by dj43:
I think you confused me with someone else. The $10M figure didn't come from me.

Oh
Share 49ersWebzone