LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 284 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by krizay:
If that's true you would see it as only a 1.78 loss. And not the 10 million loss

I think you confused me with someone else. The $10M figure didn't come from me.

If he is a post June1 trade - the total hit would be $10M over two seasons, right? Approx $5.5M each season?

You guys keep freaking me out with this $10M thing lmao
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
So has Lance. He just hasn't played a lot so he has a smaller sample size. Do we need to go post the highlights again? I know a lot of Jimmy stans didn't even watch when he played his rookie year. But sack yards lost is a reasonable metric for gleaning information about scrambling ability and I'll die on that hill. Not the end all be all, but that's useful information.

Purdy hasn't played much either. The difference is there isn't much to criticism about his performance.

i still can't believe he came in as a 7th round rookie and performed at that level. It's amazing. Lol less 1% of that happening. so wild

The discussion I'm involved in was strictly about SCRAMBLING ABILITY. Prudy has shown unequivocally to be the better QB of the two thus far, and frankly, assuming last year wasn't a strange fluke (and assuming this injury or something else doesn't cause him to regress), he proved to be one of the better QBs in the entire NFL.

Yes, I 1000% agree with you. Purdy has been EXCELLENT when it comes to scrambling. Def one of the better ones in the league. That literally surprised everyone. Lol our front office/coaches and the teams we played.

fyi - I misread your initial post. I didn't mean to disagree with you.

Yes. Because I'm assuming you didn't watch when Trey play (turning the TV off when Jimmy went out as most Jimmy stans did) or else you would have seen similar plays which he made behind the line starting in the 2021 Seahawks game—which is, again, why his yards per sack are lower than Purdy. They are both pretty good at scrambling. Lance is probably better at the actual scrambling around part, but Purdy is better at throwing off platform during such scrambles. But again, both are good at it.

Honestly, I've went back and watched a lot of his film and the best way I can answer it - I just expected him to be a lot better at it. Treys super physical, which is why he probably gets hurt so often, and doesn't make people miss like Purdy does. He also can't throw off platform as good as I expected. He's 3rd overall pick that we gave up, I just expected so much more out of him in regards to running ability.

i essentially was expecting to see him make some eye popping run plays and i don't feel like we got it. It was what he was touted about so much. I expected him to be able to move like fields, which is who I wanted, but he's very stiff and physical.

but no, he isn't "bad" at it but he isn't good enough at it that it's anything worth bragging about, in my eyes. Purdy was excellent at avoiding/extending - which Is what I think scrambling is all about. Not just running forward for a few yards. I like my qb to keep their eyes down the field and make clutch throws.

Like I said, he's made plenty of people miss. That's why I'm skeptical that guys who say things like that have either watched him or payed attention to what they were seeing. We just had a huge drama over someone saying he couldn't juke a linebacker get proven wrong by him juking a safety. He made MULTIPLE people miss on single plays against the Seahawks in 2021. Maybe you did really watch. But if so, then I can only imagine you didn't catch the difference between the physical ability to make people miss (which has been demonstrated by him multiple times) and bad vision and resultant hesitation, which hurt him on a couple of runs.

Agree to disagree. Lol I think Lance has been complete trash 85% of the plays he's had as a starter. So even if he is a good scrambler, big deal.

Literally making people miss.

(The difference here is the accuracy AFTER the scrambling)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFjH48j0PYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-wllS0OXw8

(EDIT—Again, I just want to be clear that my part in this argument is over people saying he's not a good scrambler, which is a laughable disregard of objective reality; he's not a good passer).
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Mar 27, 2023 at 4:05 PM ]
So has Lance. He just hasn't played a lot so he has a smaller sample size. Do we need to go post the highlights again? I know a lot of Jimmy stans didn't even watch when he played his rookie year. But sack yards lost is a reasonable metric for gleaning information about scrambling ability and I'll die on that hill. Not the end all be all, but that's useful information.

Purdy hasn't played much either. The difference is there isn't much to criticism about his performance.

i still can't believe he came in as a 7th round rookie and performed at that level. It's amazing. Lol less 1% of that happening. so wild

The discussion I'm involved in was strictly about SCRAMBLING ABILITY. Prudy has shown unequivocally to be the better QB of the two thus far, and frankly, assuming last year wasn't a strange fluke (and assuming this injury or something else doesn't cause him to regress), he proved to be one of the better QBs in the entire NFL.

Yes, I 1000% agree with you. Purdy has been EXCELLENT when it comes to scrambling. Def one of the better ones in the league. That literally surprised everyone. Lol our front office/coaches and the teams we played.

Yes. Because I'm assuming you didn't watch when Trey play (turning the TV off when Jimmy went out as most Jimmy stans did) or else you would have seen similar plays which he made behind the line starting in the 2021 Seahawks game—which is, again, why his yards per sack are lower than Purdy. They are both pretty good at scrambling. Lance is probably better at the actual scrambling around part, but Purdy is better at throwing off platform during such scrambles. But again, both are good at it.

Honestly, I've went back and watched a lot of his film and the best way I can answer it - I just expected him to be a lot better at it. Treys super physical, which is why he probably gets hurt so often, and doesn't make people miss like Purdy does. He also can't throw off platform as good as I expected. He's 3rd overall pick that we gave up, I just expected so much more out of him in regards to running ability.

i essentially was expecting to see him make some eye popping run plays and i don't feel like we got it. It was what he was touted about so much. I expected him to be able to move like fields, which is who I wanted, but he's very stiff and physical.

but no, he isn't "bad" at it but he isn't good enough at it that it's anything worth bragging about, in my eyes. Purdy was excellent at avoiding/extending - which Is what I think scrambling is all about. Not just running forward for a few yards. I like my qb to keep their eyes down the field and make clutch throws.

Like I said, he's made plenty of people miss. That's why I'm skeptical that guys who say things like that have either watched him or payed attention to what they were seeing. We just had a huge drama over someone saying he couldn't juke a linebacker get proven wrong by him juking a safety. He made MULTIPLE people miss on single plays against the Seahawks in 2021. Maybe you did really watch. But if so, then I can only imagine you didn't catch the difference between the physical ability to make people miss (which has been demonstrated by him multiple times) and bad vision and resultant hesitation, which hurt him on a couple of runs.

Agree to disagree. Lol I think Lance has been complete trash 85% of the plays he's had as a starter. So even if he is a good scrambler, big deal.

Great. Now put up shots him COMPLETLY missing his target in comparison to how many times Purdy did that. Even with ALL of Purdys starts.

But I'll give you it - maybe Lance is better than I give him scrambling wise, but I still don't think he's a stud At it.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 27, 2023 at 4:04 PM ]

Great. Now put up shots him COMPLETLY missing his target in comparison to how many times Purdy did that. Even with ALL of Purdys starts.

But I'll give you it - maybe Lance is better than I give him scrambling wise, but I still don't think he's a stud At it.

He's quite good at it, certainly top third. But you have to be able to pass to succeed as a QB in the NFL, and aside from deeper stuff (he's pretty good at deep crosses and fly routes) and throwing bullets, he has a lot of work to do.
He's quite good at it, certainly top third. But you have to be able to pass to succeed as a QB in the NFL, and aside from deeper stuff (he's pretty good at deep crosses and fly routes) and throwing bullets, he has a lot of work to do.

Trey is definitely talented, there's no arguing that. He just needs an absorbent amount of time/experience that I'm not okay with, especially with his accuracy issues.

I'd also argue that outside of running the ball and throwing harder, i don't think he does anything better than Purdy.
If he is a post June1 trade - the total hit would be $10M over two seasons, right? Approx $5.5M each season?

From overthecap.com, 2023, trade post-June-1 - dead money = $5,540,956, cap savings = $3,760,478.

https://overthecap.com/player/trey-lance/9467
Lynch has stated that Purdy is the leader in the clubhouse. If I'm Lance I'd sure as hell feel dissed. Maybe they're using the old Bill Walsh technique of lighting a fire under someone. During last off season I remember how Lance was praised for his on and off field behavior. Or could this be a sign that he's out the door?
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Lynch has stated that Purdy is the leader in the clubhouse. If I'm Lance I'd sure as hell feel dissed. Maybe they're using the old Bill Walsh technique of lighting a fire under someone. During last off season I remember how Lance was praised for his on and off field behavior. Or could this be a sign that he's out the door?

How Lance reacts to public comments about him (or that concern him) from the staff is only one consideration when crafting those comments. I highly doubt these comments were made to light a fire under him. You can bet he's aware of his standing behind closed doors.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Mar 27, 2023 at 4:19 PM ]

From overthecap.com, 2023, trade post-June-1 - dead money = $5,540,956, cap savings = $3,760,478.

Right but I believe we would have the remaining $5.5M in dead cap the following season. If you do a post June 1'trade/cut you can prorate the signing bonus over two seasons instead of one.

so as a whole it would be like $11M dead cap but spread out over 2 years. That was my understanding, I may be wrong. I'm not great with the salary cap and it's rules.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

How Lance reacts to public comments about him (or that concern him) from the staff is only one consideration when crafting those comments. I highly doubt these comments were made to light a fire under him. You can bet he's aware of his standing behind closed doors.

This discussion is partially why I was surprised they said anything at this time. There are potentially more issues created with the players than solutions. Idk how Lance feels and they probably talked to him about this ahead of time, but just as an example as to why I was a little surprised by it.

Colts GM today:
"What I would tell you is that there's good players in this draft at every level," Ballard said. "Everybody just talks about the top four [quarterbacks], but there's some more guys out there that are pretty good players. And I think history's shown -- especially in the last few years with Jalen [Hurts] being one and Brock Purdy coming in and playing really well -- they come at every level. So, we'll do our work on every one of them."

Giving our boy dirty Purdy some respect!
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 27, 2023 at 4:32 PM ]

Right but I believe we would have the remaining $5.5M in dead cap the following season. If you do a post June 1'trade/cut you can prorate the signing bonus over two seasons instead of one.

so as a whole it would be like $11M dead cap but spread out over 2 years. That was my understanding, I may be wrong. I'm not great with the salary cap and it's rules.
The problem with a post June 1st trade is that (a) we don't get draft capital for 2023, and (b) we lose a QB, whom we have to replace, at an additional cost to the cap.

Brock Purdy.
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Mar 27, 2023 at 4:35 PM ]

The problem with a post June 1st trade is that (a) we don't get draft capital for 2023, and (b) we lose a QB, whom we have to replace, at an additional cost to the cap.

Yeah, it needs to be a damn good offer. The only reason I see it as plausible is because it would give a team the option to see him play for a year Before having to make a decision on his fifth year option.

the capital in next years draft is something I didn't realize. That's interesting. Although, that may make it easier to get a better offer.

I've learned a lot about the post 1 June trade/cut today. Lol
[ Edited by tankle104 on Mar 27, 2023 at 4:37 PM ]

Brock Purdy.

Lmao.

I rate this post (and your post in the other thread): ontopic/10
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Plays like this are showing glimpses of "greatness" and/or "special". This play made me hard enough to put a hole in the Great Wall of China.

Yeah that was even a great play on Mahomes standards

Uh, that doesn't sound like it would feel good.

Sounds like a normal Saturday night for me when I'm watching his highlights ????

Yeah, I'm just saying, if you get too hard it hurts, right?
Share 49ersWebzone