There are 184 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kolohe:
The fact that you guys keep denying the last part of the tweet says it all. "Until Brock Purdy is out".

"I think Brock has earned the right, with the way he played, that he's probably the leader in the clubhouse at that," general manager John Lynch told reporters Monday, via ESPN's Nick Wagoner. "If we were to line up, he'd probably take that first snap."

How does that not say QB1??? If you're first you're......finish the sentence........You are QB______!!!!

Then Kyle said this…

Kyle Shanahan on 49ers QB1 role: "With Brock being hurt, (Trey Lance) has a chance to regain that."

people act like it's Brock or nothing else. Starting out as the front leader for the job doesn't mean you end up with the job.

This is a QB room where we have some pro-bowl QB that's in his prime. There is no Roger or Mahomes here currently. That's why it's not set in stone. Brock's injury makes it even more murky
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
It's pretty clear they have Purdy as the #1 and it's his job to lose. They seem like they want Lance to firmly grab that #2, but he's going to have to outperform Darnold . This is more of a Lance vs darnold thing than Lance vs Purdy

Not sure I'd go that far. Even if Kyle and Lynch wanted Brock to be QB1, there is just as much unknown about him now as there was when he stepped in, albeit in another sense. The kid just had surgery, and while every doctor wants to believe that it will all be great, everyone reacts to these differently, every body heals differently. That doesn't even take into account the mental side of getting back in there.

There is still a world of uncertainty surrounding Brock,. Personally, I hope Trey thrives and lives up to who Kyle and John thought he would. But if he doesn't, the fact that we stumbled ass over tea kettle into a FQB that we weren't looking for may be just the right medicine to dull the pain of what we gave up to get him.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
The fact that you guys keep denying the last part of the tweet says it all. "Until Brock Purdy is out".

"I think Brock has earned the right, with the way he played, that he's probably the leader in the clubhouse at that," general manager John Lynch told reporters Monday, via ESPN's Nick Wagoner. "If we were to line up, he'd probably take that first snap."

How does that not say QB1??? If you're first you're......finish the sentence........You are QB______!!!!

Then Kyle said this…

Kyle Shanahan on 49ers QB1 role: "With Brock being hurt, (Trey Lance) has a chance to regain that."

people act like it's Brock or nothing else. Starting out as the front leader for the job doesn't mean you end up with the job.

This is a QB room where we have some pro-bowl QB that's in his prime. There is no Roger or Mahomes here currently. That's why it's not set in stone. Brock's injury makes it even more murky
Get that logic and reasonable talk out of here. It doesn't jibe with the player over team mentality of this thread and the Lance thread.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Then Kyle said this…

Trey Lance has a chance to regain that....hmmm what is THAT he's talking about??

All I said was or posted was that Brock Purdy is QB1, then some of you got your panties in a twist asking for this and that. I know nothing is set in stone, but stop your denial it's ridiculous.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
It's pretty clear they have Purdy as the #1 and it's his job to lose. They seem like they want Lance to firmly grab that #2, but he's going to have to outperform Darnold . This is more of a Lance vs darnold thing than Lance vs Purdy

I don't see that in Kyle's quote. Clearly Brock is the #1 right now if he were healthy. Brock has a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter of the competition for the starting job, so to speak.

As for Darnold, Kyle said they brought him in due to the unknowns with Brock's injury, which is logical. Kyle has also said he feels good about the competition at the position, but he also said the same thing about the QB room last year when it was Trey, Sudfeld, and Brock.

Then Kyle said this…

Trey Lance has a chance to regain that....hmmm what is THAT he's talking about??

All I said was or posted was that Brock Purdy is QB1, then some of you got your panties in a twist asking for this and that. I know nothing is set in stone, but stop your denial it's ridiculous.

If you listened to full interview it's clearly Brock's job.

Then Kyle said this…

Someone made mention the other day what this website would have been like during the Montana/Young rivalry, I probably wouldn't have stuck around if that were happening. But being old enough to have lived through that, I have a much better appreciation for having more than one exciting young QB on the squad. I'm already more juiced for this season than any since Young retired, just think I'll wait until a contract extension is awarded before buying either jersey.

Didn't Lynch say yesterday Shanahan will make that call not him.

Then Kyle said this…

If you and others here want to believe that, there's absolutely nothing wrong there. Personally I think some peoples' approach has been half excited about Brock, and half trying to rile up everyone who still believes in Trey. For example, matter of factly stating that Brock is the new FQB, while Trey should be traded raises hackles…..by design. There is nothing wrong with reading tea leaves and interpreting them in a favorable light to your personal beliefs, but I would imagine if a decision was made of that magnitude, nobody would need to read the leaves to begin with.
[ Edited by SLCNiner on Mar 28, 2023 at 10:18 AM ]

Then Kyle said this…

Saying someone has the edge in a competition doesn't mean he's the QB1. Kyle doesn't even know when Brock can play football again.

quit acting like we got some pro-bowler no doubt QB1 right now…we have two stupid young QBs that are both hurt and a QB that's on his 3rd team in 6 years who's been one of if not the worst starting QB in the league since he stepped into it

Then Kyle said this…

Saying someone has the edge in a competition doesn't mean he's the QB1. Kyle doesn't even know when Brock can play football again.

quit acting like we got some pro-bowler no doubt QB1 right now…we have two stupid young QBs that are both hurt and a QB that's on his 3rd team in 6 years who's been one of if not the worst starting QB in the league since he stepped into it

Doesn't know if anyone will be alive past Sunday either
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SLCNiner:

Then Kyle said this…

Someone made mention the other day what this website would have been like during the Montana/Young rivalry, I probably wouldn't have stuck around if that were happening. But being old enough to have lived through that, I have a much better appreciation for having more than one exciting young QB on the squad. I'm already more juiced for this season than any since Young retired, just think I'll wait until a contract extension is awarded before buying either jersey.

Health is a big issue for me with regards to both Purdy and Lance. I still remember Walsh fondly remembering Greg Cook, who he said has phenomenal QB talent but because of the health issues back then, Greg was never able to overcome his injury and had to prematurely retire. Walsh said Greg could have been a hall of fame QB. Now with both Trey and Purdy being seriously injured early in their careers, will their durability be an issue for *both* going forward? I hope not. But both Montana and Steve were relatively injury free, until later in their careers. This was back when QBs were not protected like they are now. I just hope ShanaLynch does everything they can to protect his QB's and possibly draft good QB's with as good durability as some of our past legends.

I think both Trey and Purdy have the talent to play at the levels of our old legends, so for me -- it's all a wait and see game right now. As for this Trey vs Purdy thing in the Niner Empire -- this is going to continue on despite whatever ShanaLynch says IMO. Because even after both Hall of fame QB's have retired, there are still ongoing threads arguing Joe vs Steve here in the WebZone.
Originally posted by krizay:

Then Kyle said this…

If you listened to full interview it's clearly Brock's job.

The point is, this isn't a situation where we have two qbs fighting for just the backup job. Yes Brock at this point is the leader in the locker room there. If one of Sam or Lance is having an amazing camp and takes command of all of it, they can very well be the WK1 starter…Brock's injury makes it even more murky.

this isn't a QB room with a defined starter who's a pro-bowler making a bunch of cash. Where the hierarchy and roles are well laid out.

If Lance is the WK1 starter for whatever reason and plays well…he will continue to be the starter. No different than when Brock became the starter and played well. Also imo the reverse is true. If Brock is the starter and doesn't play well. He's not gonna remain the starter regardless. That's my opinion on it.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Doesn't know if anyone will be alive past Sunday either

No one does! Get out there and enjoy life I say

Then Kyle said this…

It is never any QB and no one else, even Aaron Rodgers. He could get hurt and lose his job.

Purdy can definitely lose the QB1 job to Lance through being injured, less effective or both.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Mar 28, 2023 at 10:40 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone