There are 187 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by Franchise408:
As someone who was at the game today, I was wholly impressed with what Brock Purdy showed. If I had to find any fault, that deep ball for a TD had a bit too much hangtime on it, but I wouldn't critique Jimmy for a throw like that since it scored, and I think that's a huge nitpick to point that out.

All in all, Brock played a great game, and if what we've seen today (and last week) are of any indication of what's to come, this team will be in good shape for this year's run. I like what I'm seeing from Brock.

Not sure he stepped into it fully with the guy in his face. Bears watching long term how the deep balls look when he steps in.

He got hit on both of the TD passes so they were a bit under thrown as expected but he still delivered. Putting it on CMC's back shoulder instead of trying to chuck it to the back corner was great split second decision making.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Dec 11, 2022 at 5:35 PM ]
Originally posted by swayze:
Originally posted by 9moon:
RELAX.. he's only played one GOOD game.. GRAPPY played very well too in his first 6 games here..

GLAD B-ROCKED THE BUCS THO !!!

There's a lot of football yet to be played, so we will have to see. But, I would like to point out that playing out the stretch at 1-10 is very different than taking over an 8-4 team with playoff (not to mention super bowl) expectations

You're saying it's easier to take over a sorry team and win games while playing well than leading a team that can already contend?
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
As someone who was at the game today, I was wholly impressed with what Brock Purdy showed. If I had to find any fault, that deep ball for a TD had a bit too much hangtime on it, but I wouldn't critique Jimmy for a throw like that since it scored, and I think that's a huge nitpick to point that out.

All in all, Brock played a great game, and if what we've seen today (and last week) are of any indication of what's to come, this team will be in good shape for this year's run. I like what I'm seeing from Brock.

Not sure he stepped into it fully with the guy in his face. Bears watching long term how the deep balls look when he steps in.

He got hit on both of the TD passes so they were a bit under thrown as expected but he still delivered. Putting it on CMC's back shoulder instead of trying to chuck it to the back corner was great split second decision making.

I think having a weaker arm has actually made him a better QB because he's had to rely on processing faster and throwing open (with anticipation) far more.
Originally posted by swayze:
RELAX.. he's only played one GOOD game.. GRAPPY played very well too in his first 6 games here..

There's a lot of football yet to be played, so we will have to see. But, I would like to point out that playing out the stretch at 1-10 is very different than taking over an 8-4 team with playoff (not to mention super bowl) expectations

You're saying it's easier to take over a sorry team and win games while playing well than leading a team that can already contend?

Purdy jest smoked 2 playoff teams with all the pressure of the world riding on him. Jimmy beat crap teams with no pressure and his 7tds and 5 picks that was wasn't impressive

Yeah, those plays were a bit of bang-bang plays with a defender in his face. Hard to nitpick those when it resulted in TD's.
What I'm more curious about is whether he can hit Play Action shot plays 30, 40 yards down the field from a clean pocket. Jimmy's deep balls always seemed to be a beat late, and then just hang in the air, where it just turned into a jump ball between the receiver and defender.
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
This kid is far superior to jimmy. Pocket presence, ability to move within the pocket and see the field, find and hit receivers. He was the better player all year and now we get to see it. We are in a great place at qb. Don't even consider signing jimmy again.

Trust me when I say I am relaxed and confident the kid is better than jimmy and will continue to get better. We also have Trey who is our starter. We don't need happy feet Jimmy . He has reached his potential and that as we have all seen is not good enough. Jimmy is better off with another team, preferably a team that is happy to just make the playoffs. He should avoid teams that want to win it all. Expectations need to be carefully managed with jimmy on the roster.
Originally posted by Bloodless:

the league will get the memo soon.

DONT ZERO BLITZ BROCK PURDY.

it's an elite trait.
Originally posted by NCommand:

I think having a weaker arm has actually made him a better QB because he's had to rely on processing faster and throwing open (with anticipation) far more.

Yeah as opposed to the rocket arm guys who would rely on firing it into triple coverage which doesn't work at the nfl level. Like Jeff George. QBs have to read defenses and place the ball correctly.

This kid has some nice spirals too. No wobbles.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Dec 11, 2022 at 5:40 PM ]
This kid is far superior to jimmy. Pocket presence, ability to move within the pocket and see the field, find and hit receivers. He was the better player all year and now we get to see it. We are in a great place at qb. Don't even consider signing jimmy again.

Trust me when I say I am relaxed and confident the kid is better than jimmy and will continue to get better. We also have Trey who is our starter. We don't need happy feet Jimmy . He has reached his potential and that as we have all seen is not good enough. Jimmy is better off with another team, preferably a team that is happy to just make the playoffs. He should avoid teams that want to win it all. Expectations need to be carefully managed with jimmy on the roster.

Can you guys please take your lust for a things Jimmy to the proper thread?

The Jets would be a perfect fit for him.

• Similar offense.
  • Familiar with Salah and LaFluer.
  • Could teach Zach Wilson how to be a teammate.

Kyle and Lynch might be more minded to keep Jimmy G as a back up to Purdy rather than Lance as JG and Purdy have a similar game. Lance's game is much different to Purdy's and hence he won't be the best back up QB as too much adjustment of plays would be required. JG and Purdy complement each other and are easily interchangeable
Originally posted by ItsX4Number6:
Can you guys please take your lust for a things Jimmy to the proper thread?

Are you the thread boss now? lol

It's a harsh statement, but I do agree that Jimmy's ceiling and lack of durability doesn't really allow for someone you can really believe in in winning a Super Bowl.

Gonna be fun to see whether Purdy can repeat the performance next game, and see how he finishes the season, and see what he does during playoffs. If today was any indication, it's going to be very interesting now, and it's going to be very interesting how training camp unfolds. But if Purdy continues to do well, we don't HAVE to worry about whether Trey Lance can be QB1. We can just see who the best man is next summer and let things unfold. We have both guys signed for the next few years on rookie contracts.
So what's he going to be like in a shootout or when we are playing from behind?
Share 49ersWebzone