There are 654 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
My biggest fear is that players of brock's pedigree don't maintain a high level of play indefinitely. There really isn't any data on how far the last pick in the draft is supposed to go, he's already outplayed his draft position AND expectations...

I'm watching pensively wondering when it will all unravel.

I don't want it to happen, he's brought stuff to the table that makes the offense so much more dynamic.

I guess I just need to enjoy it. I really want brock to prison sex the seahawks.
I don't think I can get tired of watching highlights of the game
Originally posted by TyCore:
My biggest fear is that players of brock's pedigree don't maintain a high level of play indefinitely. There really isn't any data on how far the last pick in the draft is supposed to go, he's already outplayed his draft position AND expectations...

I don't want it to happen, he's brought stuff to the table that makes the offense so much more dynamic.

I guess I just need to enjoy it. I really want brock to prison sex the seahawks.

I feel the same. I guess we've been conditioned for the other shoe to drop but at the same time it would be so improbable. But, as you said, what can we do but enjoy it and hope for the best?
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I don't know if Purdy is a long term answer. I suspect he may just be a solid, dependable backup which is great given how often QBs get hurt. If he has to play for exended periods he's shown he's at leat capable of winning against good competition.

One of Purdy's best traits is the gunslinger mentality. He realizes that he needs to take some chances to succeed because he doesn't have the physical gifts that some other have. If he throws an INT on that TD pass to CMC, I'm not upset because he at least took a shot. Jimmy hasn't consistently shown the willingness to attempt those throws whether he just doesn't see them or is afraid to pull the trigger. As long as he can hit some of those TD passes I'll overlook the occasional INT.

Why do you keep making things about Jimmy, reading your post in this thread and the Trey Lance thread seems you're pushing hard for Purdy vs Jimmy. When the simple fact is, Jimmy won't be around next season. What's really discouraging is Purdy vs Lance. Talk about two QB's that will be here next season and how we'll have a $4 million dollar back up QB who they spent three 1st round picks on.

I'm not making it about Jimmy. I'm just using him as a comparison since he's been the starter for the past 5 seasons. I'm pointing out the different style of play. I stated in my posts that I doubt Jimmy will be around next year and Purdy is better competition for Trey.

I'm not in the mood to repost what you say, but you just admitted that you did. You're not making it about Jimmy but using him as comparison. As much as you people say what Jimmy can't do and how injury prone he is you would think that spending three 1st round picks on a QB in Trey Lance he would've he could've and would've straight taken the job from him. Now there's Brock Purdy who no doubt has outplayed Trey Lance and now there should be competition and expect Trey Lance to learn off Purdy, my god, how long are they gonna hold Trey Lance's hand before he starts to get it.

Until he at least has enough starts to develop his physical skills. There's no question that he's green but they knew that when they picked him. They didn't expect him to get injured and miss this entire season so obviously that's a big setback. At this point Purdy is way ahead of him as far as understanding how to play QB. That doesn't mean they just give up on him. It's hard to develop when you're not playing.
This is my super-random thought of the day...Purdy looks like and sounds like Shia LeBeouf to me. Same demeanor. Same deep voice
Originally posted by frenchmov:

I feel the same. I guess we've been conditioned for the other shoe to drop but at the same time it would be so improbable. But, as you said, what can we do but enjoy it and hope for the best?

Every QB has a bad game, but the Great ones don't let it spiral out of control when that happens. They forget about it and move on and then have a really good showing. I know we are more than likely going to have a game where he doesn't look that good, but I'm hoping he comes back strong the following week. That shows he is something special.
Can't believe this. Brock and the 49ers have turned the football world upside down. The whole world is pulling for him/us. Incredible
Originally posted by socal1632:
Can't believe this. Brock and the 49ers have turned the football world upside down. The whole world is pulling for him/us. Incredible

Beating Brady will do that for you. Especially in that sort of fashion.
Originally posted by Upwurdz:
Rams fan coming in peace. Purdy is legit. Very easy to root for the rest of the way. Go win that 6th title!

Both Rams and Niners needing good qb play at this point of the season. Welcome to the Zone.

Don't get too hung upon the fact that he was picked last. There have been some really good QBs that got picked later in the draft as we all know. Nobody was expecting Montana or Brady to become the best QBs of their era. I'm not saying Purdy is going to be that good but he's not the worst player in the draft either. We picked Kap in the 2nd round and while he had the physical skills he never really learned how to play the position at a high level. Purdy will never take off and outrun the defense for a 50 yard TD but he understands the flow of the game.

It's not hard to see the other shoe dropping. Two games two should be picks.. that's not sustainable no matter how many touchdowns you throw. But he's definitely doing things that are positive in reading the open field that are helping him find success. We'll see how long it lasts but I'm rooting for him. I also think this is something that Kyle can learn from and Jimmy as well because for whatever reason those deep out shots weren't taken or called before yesterday. All of Purdy's throws were very catchable with a little less velocity than how Jimmy would deliver it. Good or bad? Not sure.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Dec 12, 2022 at 8:30 AM ]
Glock Purdy has a large body of work from college, he is basically doing the same now that he is a pro
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Notice Brendel is faced with 2 rushers...and he doesn't block either one. Brock still makes the throw with rushers right in his face--very impressive.
I don't know if Purdy is a long term answer. I suspect he may just be a solid, dependable backup which is great given how often QBs get hurt. If he has to play for exended periods he's shown he's at leat capable of winning against good competition.

One of Purdy's best traits is the gunslinger mentality. He realizes that he needs to take some chances to succeed because he doesn't have the physical gifts that some other have. If he throws an INT on that TD pass to CMC, I'm not upset because he at least took a shot. Jimmy hasn't consistently shown the willingness to attempt those throws whether he just doesn't see them or is afraid to pull the trigger. As long as he can hit some of those TD passes I'll overlook the occasional INT.

Why do you keep making things about Jimmy, reading your post in this thread and the Trey Lance thread seems you're pushing hard for Purdy vs Jimmy. When the simple fact is, Jimmy won't be around next season. What's really discouraging is Purdy vs Lance. Talk about two QB's that will be here next season and how we'll have a $4 million dollar back up QB who they spent three 1st round picks on.

Jimmy - Yeah, I think Jimmy will have other opportunities than to re-sign with us for less money and he could end up being QB2 or even QB3 among the three.

Trey - It's not ideal, but I don't think there's any shame in Trey being here as a $5M backup that we invested 3 first round picks in. He still has enormous (unrealized) potential that could still get realized. I really do believe he's eventually going to be a good player, because he seems like he's doing everything he's supposed to behind the scenes. The problem is that he needs time & reps, and this year was supposed to be the year he got those reps in. But he got injured. And we don't necessarily have the luxury to wait for him with our championship window open. But if Brock shows he's not just a flash in the pan, and balls out the rest of the year, then we can roll into 2023 with Brock as QB1 and Trey as QB2 next year. If Trey can develop and eventually overcome him, that's great for the 49ers, because his ceiling is SO high. But if he never does... ah, well, that's unfortunate to have a bust that we wasted so much capital on. At some point, the 49ers do consider cutting their losses and trading him, but I don't think that's a decision for this upcoming offseason.

Brock Purdy - I'm really excited for Purdy to see what he can do. Dan Orlovsky made a REALLY good point about Purdy this year--- his ability to create off-schedule brings life to our offense. Jimmy executes our offense as it's drawn up very well, and he was looking fantastic before he got injured... But overall, a lot of plays needed to have almost perfect execution and that doesn't always happen. Purdy's improvisational abilities allow special plays to happen, even when the overall play's execution isn't perfect. It's something we were kind of hoping for when we drafted Trey Lance, and it's something Purdy seems to have.

But yeah, 2 games for Purdy is still a small sample size. There were times that Nick Mullens looked incredible, and then over time, he showed his warts. Still though, so far, so good for Purdy, and those two games were against two teams that are likely to be in the playoffs. These last four games of the season and playoffs... I'm looking forward to see how Purdy responds to the different looks that defenses will show him. I'm looking forward to see how our offense responds. I'm looking forward to seeing how well he can stay healthy. I'm looking forward to seeing what his strengths and weaknesses are, so we can make an informed decision about our long-term prospects with him.

Exciting times.
Originally posted by DownSouth:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Notice Brendel is faced with 2 rushers...and he doesn't block either one. Brock still makes the throw with rushers right in his face--very impressive.

They need to fix that quick. Brock gonna get concussed and then we will get Josh Johnson
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Dec 12, 2022 at 8:33 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone