49ers explode for 21-point third quarter, then hold on late to take 30-24 win over Cowboys →

There are 309 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I think the next adjustment DCs will try is forcing Brock to throw versus man coverage (7 in coverage), with a robber in the middle. Small sample size, but I feel as though Brock has a very good feel throwing versus zone. Then the adjustment Brock will make, to beat man, is extending the play with his legs and going off script if his first reads aren't open. Will be interesting to see how this unfolds in the next few weeks, particularly the WAS game.
Originally posted by JMC52:
Originally posted by Montana:
The only thing that slightly concerns me is dealing with being an overnight sensation and how overwhelming that could become. However, mentally, this guy is balanced and think he can handle it. He is smooth like a cucumber.

Haha smooth like a cucumber.

Lol I wasn't thinking of that but lol. Big & smooth Brock ...:P
Originally posted by thl408:

I think the next adjustment DCs will try is forcing Brock to throw versus man coverage (7 in coverage), with a robber in the middle. Small sample size, but I feel as though Brock has a very good feel throwing versus zone. Then the adjustment Brock will make, to beat man, is extending the play with his legs and going off script if his first reads aren't open. Will be interesting to see how this unfolds in the next few weeks, particularly the WAS game.

I actually think that's a good idea for defenses to try. Of course, the drawback for the defense is that all it takes is one broken tackle and we have Aiyuk, Kittle, CMC running wild for 30, 40 yards of YAC.

I'm excited for our next game. I want to see what Purdy can do!
  • thl408
Originally posted by Wubbie:

I actually think that's a good idea for defenses to try. Of course, the drawback for the defense is that all it takes is one broken tackle and we have Aiyuk, Kittle, CMC running wild for 30, 40 yards of YAC.

Agreed. Versus man coverage, Kyle will isolate a particular mismatch to one side of the field and if there's a broken tackle, YAC attack.
If he knows this, Kyle knows this and DeMeco has some homework for the kid.
A quick game and on the road with a loud home team (both fake/pumped and real) is the next test. Very little prep time this week but let's go!

Watched the game a second time last night and the first half was just awesome from an offensive strand point. And for the tenth time out of my mouth in two weeks just how the hell did we get CMC? This is close to a dream team if Brock holds up. And Deeb gets back!! Ugh a rain cloud on a sun shiny day.
[ Edited by 9erson3 on Dec 12, 2022 at 9:57 AM ]
If Brock keeps this up, Trey will be a backup next year. As he should because clearly Brock right now has shown way more than Trey.

Jimmy G is all but a goner this offseason. No way he comes back with these 2 young kids in the fold.

The awesome thing is Brock extends our window to keep the nucleus together. He has at least 3 more seasons of his original rookie contract.
Originally posted by 9erson3:
A quick game and on the road with a loud home team (both fake/pumped and real) is the next test. Very little prep time this week but let's go!

Watched the game a second time last night and the first half was just awesome from an offensive strand point. And for the tenth time out of my mouth in two weeks just how the hell did we get CMC? This is close to a dream team if Brock holds up. And Deeb gets back!! Ugh a rain cloud on a sun shiny day.

Right? How the hell did we get CMC crossed my mind too. Whatever happens, yesterday, we did have a dream team ❤️ 💛
We have to watch the Trey comments at least from me. We have to understand the big picture and there is no way that can be a known at this point in time. As I said last night, Brock is rocking. Blowing me away but he has played for four years in college. Trey less experienced of course BUT that does not mean that Trey's ceiling is not higher and the reason he was drafted at 3. He needs experience and at least one full year to probably get there, uninterrupted and no injuries. A whole season of play.

It is a mistake this early in that one is better than the other (talking long term here) so maybe enjoy the moment and not next season yet. In two years there may be backtracking if Trey becomes the ceiling and burst thru it.

But the past two weeks I am loving the hell out of Brock. I have walked on eggshells for years with my Jimmy comments as I am appreciative but what is obvious the past two weeks is how QB limited we were at the position. You can't stat your way out of it. It's a fact. Yesterday's game was the best offensive game of Kyles tenure here in my opinion. He can gameplan for Jimmy and we can win but there is so much more to his mind. He just needs someone to unlock it be it Brock, Trey or both.

I bet I watch the game for a third tonight. It was just awesome and to have the network CUT from a Tom Brady/Tampa game to Seattle as it was a more competitive watch was something I never would have thought with a 9er Tampa/Brady game. Just that alone is an amazing sign. Imagine if flexed into prime time which I thought a possibility. It was a pure downright ass kicking.
Tampa Bay Bucs game

Brock Purdy stats under pressure

8 attempts, 7 completions for 109 yards, 2 TD's, 0 INT's with 158.3 passer rating.

Brock Purdy stats when blitzed

9 attempts, 6 completions for 65 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT's with a 124.8 passer rating.

If Brock can't do well vs man then he is not for real. He has all of the weapons he need and he has Kyle.
Originally posted by Wubbie:

Purdy has beat man coverage several times over the last 2 games.
We have to watch the Trey comments at least from me. We have to understand the big picture and there is no way that can be a known at this point in time. As I said last night, Brock is rocking. Blowing me away but he has played for four years in college. Trey less experienced of course BUT that does not mean that Trey's ceiling is not higher and the reason he was drafted at 3. He needs experience and at least one full year to probably get there, uninterrupted and no injuries. A whole season of play.

It is a mistake this early in that one is better than the other (talking long term here) so maybe enjoy the moment and not next season yet. In two years there may be backtracking if Trey becomes the ceiling and burst thru it.

But the past two weeks I am loving the hell out of Brock. I have walked on eggshells for years with my Jimmy comments as I am appreciative but what is obvious the past two weeks is how QB limited we were at the position. You can't stat your way out of it. It's a fact. Yesterday's game was the best offensive game of Kyles tenure here in my opinion. He can gameplan for Jimmy and we can win but there is so much more to his mind. He just needs someone to unlock it be it Brock, Trey or both.

I bet I watch the game for a third tonight. It was just awesome and to have the network CUT from a Tom Brady/Tampa game to Seattle as it was a more competitive watch was something I never would have thought with a 9er Tampa/Brady game. Just that alone is an amazing sign. Imagine if flexed into prime time which I thought a possibility. It was a pure downright ass kicking.

Brock has been just awesome thus far though.
[ Edited by 9erson3 on Dec 12, 2022 at 10:18 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Tampa Bay Bucs game

Brock Purdy stats under pressure

8 attempts, 7 completions for 109 yards, 2 TD's, 0 INT's with 158.3 passer rating.

Brock Purdy stats when blitzed

9 attempts, 6 completions for 65 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT's with a 124.8 passer rating.

Holy moly. Seasoned vet QBs would love to perform like that when under pressure.
Originally posted by 9erson3:

Brock has been just awesome thus far though.

I don't get why some have to bash one QB to appreciate another. I hope for success for all of them, regardless of how it winds up.
Share 49ersWebzone