49ers explode for 21-point third quarter, then hold on late to take 30-24 win over Cowboys →

There are 315 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9erson3:
We have to watch the Trey comments at least from me. We have to understand the big picture and there is no way that can be a known at this point in time. As I said last night, Brock is rocking. Blowing me away but he has played for four years in college. Trey less experienced of course BUT that does not mean that Trey's ceiling is not higher and the reason he was drafted at 3. He needs experience and at least one full year to probably get there, uninterrupted and no injuries. A whole season of play.

It is a mistake this early in that one is better than the other (talking long term here) so maybe enjoy the moment and not next season yet. In two years there may be backtracking if Trey becomes the ceiling and burst thru it.

But the past two weeks I am loving the hell out of Brock. I have walked on eggshells for years with my Jimmy comments as I am appreciative but what is obvious the past two weeks is how QB limited we were at the position. You can't stat your way out of it. It's a fact. Yesterday's game was the best offensive game of Kyles tenure here in my opinion. He can gameplan for Jimmy and we can win but there is so much more to his mind. He just needs someone to unlock it be it Brock, Trey or both.

I bet I watch the game for a third tonight. It was just awesome and to have the network CUT from a Tom Brady/Tampa game to Seattle as it was a more competitive watch was something I never would have thought with a 9er Tampa/Brady game. Just that alone is an amazing sign. Imagine if flexed into prime time which I thought a possibility. It was a pure downright ass kicking.

Brock has been just awesome thus far though.

Here's the thing about Purdy and Lance... They're both young QB's, and the sample size is so small on either of them. It feels silly to argue for/against them. There was a time where people thought Alex Smith would never be a legitimate QB. There was a time when people thought Kaepernick would be the next great NFL QB. There was a time we thought Mullens was going to supplant Jimmy as starter... We never really know until you let guys go out and play and see what they have.

This year was supposed to be the year where we got an extended look at Trey Lance and we got to see what he really has... Unfortunately he got injured.

For Purdy, he has a golden opportunity to play for a championship-caliber team, try to win a Super Bowl, and make a case to become the full-time starter. He's going to get 4+ games and that is a great, great, great opportunity to show the coaching staff (and the fanbase) what he can do.

Fans should relax on our long-term QB prospects. Enjoy Purdy's run now, see what he can do. Trey's recovering now and we'll see how he looks when he comes back. We have both of them signed for a couple years on rookie contracts. Let the chips fall and go from there.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Tampa Bay Bucs game

Brock Purdy stats under pressure

8 attempts, 7 completions for 109 yards, 2 TD's, 0 INT's with 158.3 passer rating.

Brock Purdy stats when blitzed

9 attempts, 6 completions for 65 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT's with a 124.8 passer rating.

Holy moly. Seasoned vet QBs would love to perform like that when under pressure.

i wish i could find it but it was an odd stat i saw a chart of EPA when under pressure and not under pressure for the past week

He literally had the best EPA when under pressure and i think he had one of the worst EPA when not under pressure which is super odd ill have to look to see if i can find that
I never had anything against Nick Mullens (I liked him because we share the same name actually haha) but I think Purdy has showed more than mullens ever did, here why.

when mullens was playing, this team really had no expectations and were pretty injured. He was able to go out there and just try to do his best, but there were no expectations.

Brock is coming in with essentially no preparation but the team as a whole has super high aspirations and he took over right in the thick of things. Purdy obviously has a better roster than mullens did but he's been thrust into QB1 on a Super Bowl ready roster - not a lot of people can handle that and still perform very well.

brock has definitely shown some special traits in his limited body of work, I'm very excited to watch him for the rest of the year. I do expect him to have some issues in Seattle with it being a big divisional game in that ridiculously loud environment.
Originally posted by tankle104:
I never had anything against Nick Mullens (I liked him because we share the same name actually haha) but I think Purdy has showed more than mullens ever did, here why.

when mullens was playing, this team really had no expectations and were pretty injured. He was able to go out there and just try to do his best, but there were no expectations.

Brock is coming in with essentially no preparation but the team as a whole has super high aspirations and he took over right in the thick of things. Purdy obviously has a better roster than mullens did but he's been thrust into QB1 on a Super Bowl ready roster - not a lot of people can handle that and still perform very well.

brock has definitely shown some special traits in his limited body of work, I'm very excited to watch him for the rest of the year. I do expect him to have some issues in Seattle with it being a big divisional game in that ridiculously loud environment.

first road game too
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by DownSouth:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Notice Brendel is faced with 2 rushers...and he doesn't block either one. Brock still makes the throw with rushers right in his face--very impressive.

They need to fix that quick. Brock gonna get concussed and then we will get Josh Johnson

Our QB's get murdered way too often. And for a variety of reasons. We need 3 legit QB's every year. LOL
Brock (and the D) delivered such an azz whoopin' that they cut away from the game.

That's never happened to Tom Brady.
Originally posted by ritz126:
Tampa Bay Bucs game

8 attempts, 7 completions for 109 yards, 2 TD's, 0 INT's with 158.3 passer rating.

9 attempts, 6 completions for 65 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT's with a 124.8 passer rating.

Holy moly. Seasoned vet QBs would love to perform like that when under pressure.

i wish i could find it but it was an odd stat i saw a chart of EPA when under pressure and not under pressure for the past week

He literally had the best EPA when under pressure and i think he had one of the worst EPA when not under pressure which is super odd ill have to look to see if i can find that

With a clean pocket vs TB.

13 attempts, 9 completions for 76 yards, 0 TD's, 0 INT's with a 84.1 passer rating.
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by DownSouth:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Notice Brendel is faced with 2 rushers...and he doesn't block either one. Brock still makes the throw with rushers right in his face--very impressive.

They need to fix that quick. Brock gonna get concussed and then we will get Josh Johnson

Lol what was Brendel doing on that play

I think he briefly forgot which side Kittle was on behind him to pick up the extra rusher, and didn't have enough time to correct to the other side.

Props to Kittle for getting just enough of both to buy just enough time. That's unit pass protection! Minus Brendel of course. LOL
Originally posted by ritz126:
Tampa Bay Bucs game

With a clean pocket vs TB.

13 attempts, 9 completions for 76 yards, 0 TD's, 0 INT's with a 84.1 passer rating.

That's not bad. His TDs just happened to come on plays where he was under pressure so that probably wildly messed with the EPA due to the small sample size.
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Nice Job Lynch. Still could of used someone like McKinley at Safety or Jobe to compete at the CB position. Career practice squad player with NO potential.

I guess you know best. Apparently, he has more potential than your predictions and comments.

Should Brock Purdy win NFC offensive player of the week?

You'd love it. But only 185 yards? Probably not.
Originally posted by tankle104:

Purdy is a lot better QB than Mullens. No comparison. He's tremendous.
Purdy throws touchdowns and wins games.

Man coverage...easy checkdown to CMC
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Purdy throws touchdowns and wins games.

What's Kyle's record with him? LOL
Share 49ersWebzone