LISTEN: Do The 49ers Have Cause For Concern? →

There are 213 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • exile
  • Veteran
All this talk is reminding me of how excited folks were about Nate Davis.
Originally posted by exile:

Nate the Great Davis IMAO..

Purdy flashes way better than Nate and even Jimmy but is not a franchise QB, maybe a very small chance of being a NFL starter some where down the road if luck and opportunity permits..
[ Edited by ChillninDaBay on Aug 26, 2022 at 10:40 AM ]
Originally posted by exile:

Good call!
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
Let scale down on the Purdy is better than lance. It's obvious that Purdy read the defense quick and makes snap decisions..threw a couple of really nice balls last night that got dropped and and would have been big plays. He's gutsy…that is why I like him. I think his potential will be definitely he could be a starter on a team Sunday but I would pick him over Sunfield right now because as brock Purdy learns and grows and gets more comfortable he's going to be a really good back up for us.

There's one thing I'm sure on Shanahan was not showcasing Lance at all in this preseason there's a few things he let him do but on purpose he gave him just as little as possible only to give him some wraps but really kept NBA and didn't open up the playbook at all it was a lot of vanilla play calling and I think that's on purpose I I think we're gonna be fine in Chicago and we're going to see Lynn lance shred it.

I do not think Lance has proven anything yet other than he couldn't beat out Jimmy G in two years and is 1-1 starting games.

He's thrown some nice balls especially in game 1.

All that said you have a year one player in purdy and a year 3 player in lance. It's still up to debate who ends up better. Crowning lance a future sb winner like most on here want to do is premature.

All I can say is he does not seem to be as far along in year 3 as other guys already are like mahomes, Herbert, etc... The draft capital we gave up was a lot for potential. Maybe it pans out but so far it hasn't.

I think you always keep potential over a journeyman. Do we think sudfeld is going to win us a sb if lance goes down?

I think purdy has as good a chance as sudfeld and more potential in years to come because he's a rookie.

Potential is worth more than hoping some journeyman is going to take a big leap. It's more likely for a rookie to get better year 2 than a journeyman to get better year 3 or year 7
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
He might be better than lance. He forced a couple but his placement seems really accurate to where he wants to put the ball.

The comparison between Purdy and Lance begins and ends with the fact what Purdy has in spades over Lance is four full years of college experience and what comes with that. Let's see what Lance is like after four years of experience and see who is better.
I good backup would be nice but let's face it, if Trey goes down neither of those guys is going to lead us to the SB. Remember how excited some were about Beathard and then even more with Mullens. They both showed that thye can maybe win a game here and there but not enough to win a championship. Many have pointed out the difference in Kyle's record with and without Jimmy. That's what you get when you lose your starter in the NFL. Unless you have a really marginal QB to start with you aren't going to have a backup that's anywhere near as good.
Originally posted by dj43:
He might be better than lance. He forced a couple but his placement seems really accurate to where he wants to put the ball.

The comparison between Purdy and Lance begins and ends with the fact what Purdy has in spades over Lance is four full years of college experience and what comes with that. Let's see what Lance is like after four years of experience and see who is better.

DJ, this is a bad take as you essentially concede Purdy is better now.. which is 100% not the case.. Purdy visibly was shaking his head at himself, threw a boneheaded INT, fumbled next play after that (this is when the head shaking began at himself), he missed his next screen pass, had another near miss INT, I mean what are we talking about here..

I liked him in college he's a fine QB and a good PS squad player he is light years behind TL
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
DJ, this is a bad take as you essentially concede Purdy is better now.. which is 100% not the case.. Purdy visibly was shaking his head at himself, threw a boneheaded INT, fumbled next play after that (this is when the head shaking began at himself), he missed his next screen pass, had another near miss INT, I mean what are we talking about here..

I liked him in college he's a fine QB and a good PS squad player he is light years behind TL

We do not know who is better. You have one guy with 2 NFL games who went 1-1 and another guy who is a rookie.

We know who was drafted higher and reasons why.

The only question is it worth keeping sudfeld over him or did he flash enough potential we should cut sudfeld. To me the money is irrelevant. It's 2 mil which is minimal.

Preseason doesn't tell you much it's really a question of what they do in regular season games. Jury is too early on lance. It matters even more what they do in the playoffs.

No, that is not what I said but I'm not going to nit-pick it now.

No, that is not what I said but I'm not going to nit-pick it now.

My bad if I read it wrong.. my reading of your post.. you said Purdy has a lot more college experience.. and we have to wait 4 years to see who is better.

We do not know who is better. You have one guy with 2 NFL games who went 1-1 and another guy who is a rookie.

We know who was drafted higher and reasons why.

The only question is it worth keeping sudfeld over him or did he flash enough potential we should cut sudfeld. To me the money is irrelevant. It's 2 mil which is minimal.

Preseason doesn't tell you much it's really a question of what they do in regular season games. Jury is too early on lance. It matters even more what they do in the playoffs.

Ask KS who is better he would laugh you out of the press conference. We'll see who starts week 1.. I'm operating off the assumption KS starts the guys who give the best chance to win.. i.e. who are better..
Ask KS who is better he would laugh you out of the press conference. We'll see who starts week 1.. I'm operating off the assumption KS starts the guys who give the best chance to win.. i.e. who are better..

It would be nice if it were as cut and dry as that. Football has way more politics in play than that though. Lance could go 0-16 this season and he would still start because of the 3 draft picks.

Just look at rg3 and cousins and how that played out.

Purdy showed some nice movement and some accurate throws. He also showed quite a few forced throws into double and triple coverage.

Lance has also shown some nice ability. Hes also taken some bad sacks. I do not know if either is actually better than Jimmy. Guys can seem great like mullens and then mentally break and just not able to cut it.

I honestly expected more from lance in year 3. For 3 first round picks he should have been at least able to answer that he could beat Jimmy out. I'll eat my words if he's mahomes 2.0 and just lights it up in regular season games.

Guys get drafted based on assumptions and physical makeup. It does not always hold true ie Wilson, and brees.

A lot of this is football god shanahan fault. Lance seems more serviceable than garapollo but to me it looks like he's going to get eaten alive with his longer motion and bad offensive line protection this year. KS better already plan on having short plays dialed up for this or he's going to get sacked repeatedly. KS let the line get this bad knowing lance will get ruined if he gets smacked too much.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I good backup would be nice but let's face it, if Trey goes down neither of those guys is going to lead us to the SB. Remember how excited some were about Beathard and then even more with Mullens. They both showed that thye can maybe win a game here and there but not enough to win a championship. Many have pointed out the difference in Kyle's record with and without Jimmy. That's what you get when you lose your starter in the NFL. Unless you have a really marginal QB to start with you aren't going to have a backup that's anywhere near as good.

That's all you want a good backup for, is for them to hold the fort, win you the next game or two, subbing for the starter who is out a game or two (or more). If the backup was as good or better than the starter - then *he* would be the starter.

As for Purdy, I think he's able to move the ball *as well as* Sudfeld at this point, and Sudfeld is a 6+ year vet and Purdy is a rookie. So I'm looking at Purdy's upside and seeing what he could be in a couple of years, so we can win some games with him if Trey is dinged, as well as possibly trade him to a QB needy team for a day 3 draft pick at the end of his rookie contract. ShanaLynch has done wonders with some day three picks like DJ Jones and Mitchell.
I want Brock as a 4 year back up.

It would be nice if it were as cut and dry as that. Football has way more politics in play than that though. Lance could go 0-16 this season and he would still start because of the 3 draft picks.

Just look at rg3 and cousins and how that played out.

Purdy showed some nice movement and some accurate throws. He also showed quite a few forced throws into double and triple coverage.

Lance has also shown some nice ability. Hes also taken some bad sacks. I do not know if either is actually better than Jimmy. Guys can seem great like mullens and then mentally break and just not able to cut it.

I honestly expected more from lance in year 3. For 3 first round picks he should have been at least able to answer that he could beat Jimmy out. I'll eat my words if he's mahomes 2.0 and just lights it up in regular season games.

Guys get drafted based on assumptions and physical makeup. It does not always hold true ie Wilson, and brees.

A lot of this is football god shanahan fault. Lance seems more serviceable than garapollo but to me it looks like he's going to get eaten alive with his longer motion and bad offensive line protection this year. KS better already plan on having short plays dialed up for this or he's going to get sacked repeatedly. KS let the line get this bad knowing lance will get ruined if he gets smacked too much.

Go 0-16 and still start really lol has that ever happened.. even Leaf and Russell never started 16.. they got benched.. what politics.. you play the better guy period.
Share 49ersWebzone