LISTEN: Do The 49ers Have Cause For Concern? →

There are 246 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by exile:
All this talk is reminding me of how excited folks were about Nate Davis.

Every year without fail a fanbase gets overhyped in preseason because the third string qb is lighting up scrubs. It was annoying then when people said that nick Mullens should start over jimmy g because he looked good in preseason and it's annoying now with Purdy. Despite the exceptions coaches for the most part will know who to play and who not to play. There's a reason Brock Purdy went last in the draft in the weakest Qb class since 2013.
Originally posted by Ghostofabshelmet:
Originally posted by exile:
All this talk is reminding me of how excited folks were about Nate Davis.

Every year without fail a fanbase gets overhyped in preseason because the third string qb is lighting up scrubs. It was annoying then when people said that nick Mullens should start over jimmy g because he looked good in preseason and it's annoying now with Purdy. Despite the exceptions coaches for the most part will know who to play and who not to play. There's a reason Brock Purdy went last in the draft in the weakest Qb class since 2013.

Funny how you just see it at QB.. would like to see someone out there saying Kalia Davis should take Armstead's job and is better. For consistency.
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
Let scale down on the Purdy is better than lance. It's obvious that Purdy read the defense quick and makes snap decisions..threw a couple of really nice balls last night that got dropped and and would have been big plays. He's gutsy…that is why I like him. I think his potential will be definitely he could be a starter on a team Sunday but I would pick him over Sunfield right now because as brock Purdy learns and grows and gets more comfortable he's going to be a really good back up for us.

There's one thing I'm sure on Shanahan was not showcasing Lance at all in this preseason there's a few things he let him do but on purpose he gave him just as little as possible only to give him some wraps but really kept NBA and didn't open up the playbook at all it was a lot of vanilla play calling and I think that's on purpose I I think we're gonna be fine in Chicago and we're going to see Lynn lance shred it.

I do not think Lance has proven anything yet other than he couldn't beat out Jimmy G in two years and is 1-1 starting games.

He's thrown some nice balls especially in game 1.

All that said you have a year one player in purdy and a year 3 player in lance. It's still up to debate who ends up better. Crowning lance a future sb winner like most on here want to do is premature.

All I can say is he does not seem to be as far along in year 3 as other guys already are like mahomes, Herbert, etc... The draft capital we gave up was a lot for potential. Maybe it pans out but so far it hasn't.

I think you always keep potential over a journeyman. Do we think sudfeld is going to win us a sb if lance goes down?

I think purdy has as good a chance as sudfeld and more potential in years to come because he's a rookie.

Potential is worth more than hoping some journeyman is going to take a big leap. It's more likely for a rookie to get better year 2 than a journeyman to get better year 3 or year 7

Bro… We drafted Trey Lance last season, do you even Niner?

Nice throw by Purdy. Good to know he can do it. Not sure you want your qb to live on the edge like that though. And probably only crunch time.
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
Man I have a bad feeling he's gone if he goes to PS. But Nate is more experienced
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
I do not think Lance has proven anything yet other than he couldn't beat out Jimmy G in two years and is 1-1 starting games.

He's thrown some nice balls especially in game 1.

All that said you have a year one player in purdy and a year 3 player in lance. It's still up to debate who ends up better. Crowning lance a future sb winner like most on here want to do is premature.

All I can say is he does not seem to be as far along in year 3 as other guys already are like mahomes, Herbert, etc... The draft capital we gave up was a lot for potential. Maybe it pans out but so far it hasn't.

I think you always keep potential over a journeyman. Do we think sudfeld is going to win us a sb if lance goes down?

I think purdy has as good a chance as sudfeld and more potential in years to come because he's a rookie.

Potential is worth more than hoping some journeyman is going to take a big leap. It's more likely for a rookie to get better year 2 than a journeyman to get better year 3 or year 7

Year 3? Trey is only in year 2 and barely played in year 1.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Year 3? Trey is only in year 2 and barely played in year 1.

"Forget it. He's rolling"

Originally posted by JMC52:
Man I have a bad feeling he's gone if he goes to PS. But Nate is more experienced

I'm not too worried about that. Just can't see another team using a roster spot on him. Wouldn't be surprised if there were a number of teams that would like him on their practice squad, but can't see why he would choose to leave.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Same, and I think he has a higher upside than Nate.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:

agree. no one is saying brock is all pro or even at nate davis status.. we are just saying... he has a higher upside with his mobility and energy than nate.. but i get it.... you just to do not come in here and find better ways to spend the 27 million dollars we have invested in two quarterbacks

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Giedi:

agree. no one is saying brock is all pro or even at nate davis status.. we are just saying... he has a higher upside with his mobility and energy than nate.. but i get it.... you just to do not come in here and find better ways to spend the 27 million dollars we have invested in two quarterbacks

His footwork is really good. He can focus on all sorts of other development with that out of the way.

I have a feeling we keep him.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for 49ersFan_vienna.
Congrats!

the right choice
Share 49ersWebzone