49ers WR Deebo Samuel will miss 'a couple of weeks' with calf strain →

There are 254 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
Another impressive thing about Brock is that he doesn't seem to have any ptsd from the way he got injured. So many times he stands in the pocket where his arm almost gets smacked again. Meanwhile an average qb would be hearing footsteps coming off that kind of injury. Hell I saw Jimmy G yesterday with an alligator arm throw after Watt hit him from his blind side.

Yeah, that was a concern for me with Brock. How would he handle hits/pressure because of what happened to him against Philly. He doesn't seem fazed at all. Most players say they're not thinking about it but it seems like he really isn't thinking about it. It's incredible.
this guy is the gift that keeps on giving.

I know Brock has a great team and coach around him but, to me, it seems like he adds to the team instead of just rides it's coat tails. Jimmy and Lance had to be propped up by the rest of the team every week, brock seems to carry his own and bring an element to the game that we've been missing.

brock is still inexperienced and will make mistakes, but he learns incredibly fast, literally during the game - and adjusts. Jimmy rarely did that. I'm just so happy we are where we are. After tonight, 1 of 3 remaining undefeated teams.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Another impressive thing about Brock is that he doesn't seem to have any ptsd from the way he got injured. So many times he stands in the pocket where his arm almost gets smacked again. Meanwhile an average qb would be hearing footsteps coming off that kind of injury. Hell I saw Jimmy G yesterday with an alligator arm throw after Watt hit him from his blind side.

Yeah, that was a concern for me with Brock. How would he handle hits/pressure because of what happened to him against Philly. He doesn't seem fazed at all. Most players say they're not thinking about it but it seems like he really isn't thinking about it. It's incredible.

maybe he really is a highly advanced AI robot lol
  • Disp
  • Veteran

I know Brock has a great team and coach around him but, to me, it seems like he adds to the team instead of just rides it's coat tails. Jimmy and Lance had to be propped up by the rest of the team every week, brock seems to carry his own and bring an element to the game that we've been missing.

brock is still inexperienced and will make mistakes, but he learns incredibly fast, literally during the game - and adjusts. Jimmy rarely did that. I'm just so happy we are where we are. After tonight, 1 of 3 remaining undefeated teams.

Agreed! The team is putting up 30 points a game and we're talking about some wide open deep ball misses just reinforces how good he and the offense are, and that there's still plenty of room for improvement. How crazy is that? The team is putting up 30 PPG and it looks almost effortless.
Originally posted by Disp:

Agreed! The team is putting up 30 points a game and we're talking about some wide open deep ball misses just reinforces how good he and the offense are, and that there's still plenty of room for improvement. How crazy is that? The team is putting up 30 PPG and it looks almost effortless.

The team is putting up 30 and it's clear and obvious that we are leaving 10+ Points on the the field, easily. Especially wide open plays. It cracks me up because he missed three clearly open deep throws and then makes these tough ones to Aiyuk against pitt, deebo against giants, and jennings against the rams. Lmao makes the difficult ones and misses the easy ones.
not having a receiver who is fast enough for secondarys to respect the speed to take off the top is really hurting us right now.... defenses can just compress the coverage vertically and it's making Brocky force it in tight windows, he has the accuracy for it but life would be much easier if we had Danny Gray available and capable of being that guy for us
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
not having a receiver who is fast enough for secondarys to respect the speed to take off the top is really hurting us right now.... defenses can just compress the coverage vertically and it's making Brocky force it in tight windows, he has the accuracy for it but life would be much easier if we had Danny Gray available and capable of being that guy for us

I didnt pay close attention last year - did Gray make that impact?

The team is putting up 30 and it's clear and obvious that we are leaving 10+ Points on the the field, easily. Especially wide open plays. It cracks me up because he missed three clearly open deep throws and then makes these tough ones to Aiyuk against pitt, deebo against giants, and jennings against the rams. Lmao makes the difficult ones and misses the easy ones.

It happens to every QB. If it didn't they would all complete nearly 100%. It's amazing how close the completion percentages are for the top half of the league. Herbert is leading at 74.4%. Lamar Jackson is next at 73.3%. Then we have Allen at 72.7%. The next 10 are all 67% or better with Purdy at #13.
maybe he really is a highly advanced AI robot lol

Bionic Brock
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Dallas will test Brock's poise, perhaps more than any other game. The competition will be intense and physical. Whether or not we win, if he can maintain that assassin's demeanor, he's definitely on his way to achieving all of great things we think he can.

Judging by how Dallas looked today, Brock will be handing off a lot against Dallas. They looked really soft today against the Cardinals, whose run defense also looked soft.

Agreed. But I think Dallas has more cause to intensely hate the Niners over the Cardinals. It's personal for them. Nevertheless, the outcome should be the same.

We shouldn't let the cards game fool us about Dallas, they're a very talented team and have played very physical and fast. For Example, last year in the playoffs - they played great against us. Very fast and violent on their part.

Dallas has a tendency to play to their opponents caliber, which to me says a lot about the leadership (which isn't a good thing). So in other words, they may come to play big time against us cause of the recent rivalry and whats at stake (seeding).

Todays game did shed light though on their weaknesses. A lot of people have been saying to run it right at Parsons, maybe they are right? I didn't pay a ton of attention to who they were running at but they gave up a ton yards on the ground.

That's been the book on Micah since his college days.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by Giedi:
I'm still a big Jimmy fan, but I think those panic throws come from the fact that he just doesn't have the wheels to get away from a pass rush. He isn't as mobile as Brock, for example. Having said that, if you compare his ability to understand Kyles offense - hands down, Brock is superior to Jimmy. As good as Jimmy is in processing, Brock is much better, and more accurate too. Also, just looking at Jimmy's arm versus Brock's arm - it just feels (to me) that Brock's arm is stronger. It just does, I dont know why.

Jimmy isn't good at processing actually. He doesn't see the field well when the first read isn't there. His first pick last night was clear evidence of that.

Have to be objective about guys strengths and weaknesses. Brock has weaknesses too but when you can process at an elite level that can mask a ton. Thats the big difference.
Curious to hear what people see as his weaknesses. For discussion.
So far I see some limitations, but zero weaknesses.
He seems above average in everything. Even arguably arm strength. Certainly not elite there; he doesn't have a bazooka, but having a cannon can also be problematic if you can't control it. As I've noticed, Purdy throws a very catchable ball. This helps even when he's off target; receivers can bring it in. Something that's not possible if you're throwing bullets.
Of course, if he has to fling it 60 yards down field on target like Rodgers, that has yet to be demonstrated. I agree that his arm strength looks superior to Garappolo.
His elusiveness in/from the pocket is way above average, it looks to me.
Lacks the elite twitch and straight line speed of, say, Jackson. But even there, better than average.
Don't see any weakness. Unless being only a little above average is a weakness.

Dallas will test Brock's poise, perhaps more than any other game. The competition will be intense and physical. Whether or not we win, if he can maintain that assassin's demeanor, he's definitely on his way to achieving all of great things we think he can.

Judging by how Dallas looked today, Brock will be handing off a lot against Dallas. They looked really soft today against the Cardinals, whose run defense also looked soft.

Agreed. But I think Dallas has more cause to intensely hate the Niners over the Cardinals. It's personal for them. Nevertheless, the outcome should be the same.

We shouldn't let the cards game fool us about Dallas, they're a very talented team and have played very physical and fast. For Example, last year in the playoffs - they played great against us. Very fast and violent on their part.

Dallas has a tendency to play to their opponents caliber, which to me says a lot about the leadership (which isn't a good thing). So in other words, they may come to play big time against us cause of the recent rivalry and whats at stake (seeding).

Todays game did shed light though on their weaknesses. A lot of people have been saying to run it right at Parsons, maybe they are right? I didn't pay a ton of attention to who they were running at but they gave up a ton yards on the ground.

Of course you should run right at Parsons. It's better than letting him tee off and pass rush you. Bulldoze him as much as you can all game long.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Of course you should run right at Parsons. It's better than letting him tee off and pass rush you. Bulldoze him as much as you can all game long.

Especially on the right side, you know they're going to line him up opposite mkivitz all game, which I don't blame
Them. He can beat the RT & RG easier than Trent alone. Lol
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

It happens to every QB. If it didn't they would all complete nearly 100%. It's amazing how close the completion percentages are for the top half of the league. Herbert is leading at 74.4%. Lamar Jackson is next at 73.3%. Then we have Allen at 72.7%. The next 10 are all 67% or better with Purdy at #13.

I imagine those 70+% completion rates will fall as the season ages. 4 of those 6 QB's are averaging less than a 7.5 ypa with 3 of those being under 7.0 ypa. Tells me they are throwing the ball short which are typically higher % passes.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Yeah, I've forgotten that Marc was a 49er offensive assistant coach back in the day. Glad he still is active in the football world.

He's the guy who got fired in press conference.. 'yeah he's gone'

Trestman knows football, he just doesn't know how demanding Eddie can be lol
Share 49ersWebzone