LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 149 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
If you have watched enough football, and are smart enough to know how football works, you should be able to spot a good qb without a bunch of mathematicians who never played a single down, at any level, telling you if they are good. Watching a guy play will tell you far more than ink on paper ever could.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Everybody harp's on Brock's lack of arm strength and Height. But Brees did fine. Brock's taller than Brees, and his arm - if you consider 54 MPH (before Brock's elbow operation) as a true measure of his arm strength - that is about what a typical NFL average QB has. So his arm strength is - at worst - is average, and not a weakness. Maybe his straight line speed isn't great (4.84/40) but it is a good Tight End speed. It's not terribly slow. Jimmy has a 4.97/40 score, before his ACL injury. Personally I don't see any real weaknesses that a typical average defense can exploit. Specially if he operates safely in Kyle's offense.

His 10 yard split is elite. It's what gets you tds at the goal line and converts third and 4th and short. His legs are short so he doesn't have a high top speed but he gets there extremely quickly.

His first two steps are elite quick. Let's him escape the rush and convert short scores.

People act like he's slow but he's actually extremely quick.

This. Probably the most underrated thing about Purdy is his quickness. Without it, he's probably closer to Dak's. Cousins'. and Jimmy G's, but with it, he's potentially a top 5 QB IMO.

Agree with both. He's elite level in buying time. Some folks have compared his elusiveness to Russel Wilson. I think thats a decent comparison. Just that Russell's 40 yard was 4.55. But both were similar in their 10 yard splits. If you have Drew Brees accuracy and arm plus Russel's elusiveness - yeah, that definitely can make Purdy a top 10 or even top 5, depending on how Kyle uses Purdy's skill set.

Personally, I think Kyle's YAC offense is perfect for Brock, especially if you add a CMC/Mitchell ground game to that passing attack.
Originally posted by tankle104:

I believe Kreuger also said Julian Edelman believed the 49ers 'struck oil' with Brock.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
If you have watched enough football, and are smart enough to know how football works, you should be able to spot a good qb without a bunch of mathematicians who never played a single down, at any level, telling you if they are good. Watching a guy play will tell you far more than ink on paper ever could.

Yes and no. Yes film does show a lot, but the numbers reveal (potentially) hidden attributes that you don't see on film. Like, for example, a strong run game will tend to depress a QBs numbers. Remember Green Bay and Mostert breaking league records while Jimmy's numbers sucked? Its misleading to think Jimmy had a bad game when Mostert had such a great game .
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
There's still posters who are defending Trey Lance?! Lol weird

There are still posters that haven't moved on from Trey Lance. Sad

Now do Buckner.

Lot's of dudes hung up on their ex-girlfriends still.

These are the same dudes that thought Jimmy was the greatest thing since Montana but their awfully quiet about him now. Instead they need to randomly keep bringing up Trey that's currently a 3rd string lol. Weird coping mechanism.

Glad we have Purdy, he's definitely better than both those QBs and is on a path to be great.

Not a single Jimmy fan compared him to Montana. Only the miserable fans that put him to an unfair standard who complain about "almost INTs" and where balls are placed on game winning tds

again, nice try.

Your boy is gone. Get over it. Go be a raiders fan if you care so much that people say bad things about Jimmy. I'll buy you some tissues as well.

Says the one who gets upset when someone says something about the cowboys third string QB

im just responding to one of your many fabrications

Lolol making up s**t again -- fail lol. Don't care about Trey, he was a bust here which sucks bc we spent all that for him but he was a bust. Thankfully we got Purdy.

Let me know where u want me to send your tissues to.

You spent years replying " " to anyone that didn't having anything favorable to say about Trey. And you still hang around his thread posting random haircut pics. No need to hide it, this is how I picture you watching Brock Purdy on Sunday's knowing you spent far too much time and energy defending Trey Lance

Of course lmao I am a 49ers fan. You are a Jimmy fan. I wanted to see the guy we spent 3 picks on succeed bc that means 49ers will succeed. And lol at posting a haircut pic that's all you have?? What a child lol

Now we have Purdy who has the ability to be a great QB something we haven't had since Joe and Steve. Your meme is garbage bc your mad that not everyone thinks like u and your other couple of buddies that wanted nothing to do with Lance bc he was replacing sweet lil Jimmy.

Love Purdy. You fail again kid. Go to the raiders forum pls. Although I'm sure you already have an account on there telling everyone how great Jimmy is and everything else is the reason for their bad play 😂

And you don't see how you contradict yourself? so it's ok to root for Trey because the Niners spent several first round picks on him without actually proving he can be a franchise qb but it's not ok to root for the qb who won a lot of games while he was here. I like Jimmy despite his flaws, and so did alot of the players here. sucks we never won a Super Bowl with him but glad they got Purdy

you call people who don't agree with you Jimmy fans who need to root for the Raiders, but I'm the child 😂 I see you've come along way since your "" who doesn't agree with me days.

No I don't see the contradiction. One QB was here for 5 years and we've seen him enough and he obviously wasn't the QB we wanted him to be (sorry that still upsets u).

I didn't come along way either, I've been posting on here since 2006 so sometimes you learn to not debate with the morons and trolls and I preferred a simple emoji lol.

I was a huge Jimmy fan early on, I've said it before and I'll say it again, his ACL injury messed up him big time. Legs are a big part of your throwing and when you can't trust to plant your foot and throw it's going to affect your game unless you have that PM/Allen arm. He

Seen enough of Jimmy, didn't see Trey that much and we drafted him very high so of course we should give him a chance. Obviously it didn't work out, he didn't improve enough and he's a bust. Difference is I can admit to it while you guys still cry about Jimmy and hated Lance from the start bc you were butt hurt that the team was moving on from Jimmy. You're a Jimmy fan, I'm a Niner fan.

Funny how you keep lying to yourself,I said it before I'll say it again, you aren't fooling anybody. Fans had every right to root for Jimmy to win as much as others had the right to root for Trey to live up to his draft status. One doesn't make someone a better 49ers fan than the other. It's the "I'd rather lose with Trey than win with Jimmy crowd" that was the problem. Nobody was upset about Jimmy being replaced, Trey Lance was 20 year old who only played 1 season in a Missouri Valley or whatever college conference it was. Doesn't take a football genius to get why he didn't work out. I don't think I seen a single "Jimmy fan" tried to discredit Purdy since replacing him . Can't say the same about the toxic "Trey fans", and that doesn't necessarily mean anyone on here.

and what exactly is there to cry about Jimmy? He was a huge reason why this franchise was able to turn around from worst team in the nfl to Super Bowl contenders. I'm grateful for that and wish him nothing but the best. Even if he doesn't work out ever again, whatever he served his purpose and is no longer on the team. I'm going to keep rooting for Brock Purdy and laugh at nfl scouts that are angry at his success, while you continue to "attempt" to fight within your own fanbase on forums just like you've been doing for years, keep trying buddy.
[ Edited by RiceOwensStokes on Sep 25, 2023 at 5:07 PM ]
Yes and no. Yes film does show a lot, but the numbers reveal (potentially) hidden attributes that you don't see on film. Like, for example, a strong run game will tend to depress a QBs numbers. Remember Green Bay and Mostert breaking league records while Jimmy's numbers sucked? Its misleading to think Jimmy had a bad game when Mostert had such a great game .

Doesn't the bold betray your top point?

Suppressed QB numbers (because the run game was featured) would potentially 'hide' how well the QB played in his role… especially as most fans would interpret those numbers.

The film, provided you know what you're looking at, doesn't hide anything.

Stats will show you what a player and team accomplished. The film will show you how and why it happened.
Funny how you keep lying to yourself,I said it before I'll say it again, you aren't fooling anybody. Fans had every right to root for Jimmy to win as much as others had the right to root for Trey to live up to his draft status. One doesn't make someone a better 49ers fan than the other. It's the "I'd rather lose with Trey than win with Jimmy crowd" that was the problem. Nobody was upset about Jimmy being replaced, Trey Lance was 20 year old who only played 1 season in a Missouri Valley or whatever college conference it was. Doesn't take a football genius to get why he didn't work out.

I don't think I seen a single "Jimmy fan" tried to discredit Purdy since replacing him . Can't say the same about the toxic "Trey fans", and that doesn't necessarily mean anyone on here. But keep trying buddy.

If you don't think you have a guy who can get you where you need to go that concept makes complete sense. It's not so much rather lose with Trey but rather see what you have. Best thing that happened to this team was getting to see what Purdy had.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
If you don't think you have a guy who can get you where you need to go that concept makes complete sense. It's not so much rather lose with Trey but rather see what you have. Best thing that happened to this team was getting to see what Purdy had.

The thing is Trey Lance was the worst QB on the 49ers roster from 2021-23. I think Shanahan realized the early on.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Doesn't the bold betray your top point?

Suppressed QB numbers (because the run game was featured) would potentially 'hide' how well the QB played in his role… especially as most fans would interpret those numbers.

The film, provided you know what you're looking at, doesn't hide anything.

Stats will show you what a player and team accomplished. The film will show you how and why it happened.

Well film doesn't really show things like heart, character, work ethic. Those don't show up well on film for example. Another thing film doesn't show is durability. Point is to use both the statistics and film to give you a good flavor of how a player is doing. Advanced stats like Lombardi's DVOA stats (which are - i think - highly subjective) does reveal interesting information. Specially if you compare the numbers with other teams numbers. I'm a fan of both methods. I don't ignore either when I look at the team.
I'm a fan of Trey. Would've like to see the full development of Trey played out in SF, but that ship has sailed. I would have to trust the judgment of a HC that had Trey in the building and camp the last 3 years, and knows 100 million times more about football than I do ....lol

Brock I can see since he played in his first preseason game, and he is everything I thought he might be and more ever since. LFG!
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 25, 2023 at 5:15 PM ]

Well film doesn't really show things like heart, character, work ethic. Those don't show up well on film for example. Another thing film doesn't show is durability. Point is to use both the statistics and film to give you a good flavor of how a player is doing. Advanced stats like Lombardi's DVOA stats (which are - i think - highly subjective) does reveal interesting information. Specially if you compare the numbers with other teams numbers. I'm a fan of both methods. I don't ignore either when I look at the team.

Going to disagree. Film will show you effort, playing through injury, etc. Stats just don't show these things at all.

Nothing about total QBR, DVOA, passer rating etc are going to indicate to you that Joe Burrow is playing through a calf injury tonight for example. You'll see his ass hobbling on film for sure though.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Going to disagree. Film will show you effort, playing through injury, etc. Stats just don't show these things at all.

Nothing about total QBR, DVOA, passer rating etc are going to indicate to you that Joe Burrow is playing through a calf injury tonight for example. You'll see his ass hobbling on film for sure though.

Well good luck in watching all 32 teams then. Vs looking at the stats and seeing - in a quick way, which teams are doing well on certain things and which teams aren't.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I'm a fan of Trey. Would've like to see the full development of Trey played out in SF, but that ship has sailed. I would have to trust the judgment of a HC that had Trey in the building and camp the last 3 years, and knows 100 million times more about football than I do ....lol

Brock I can see since he played in his first preseason game, and he is everything I thought he might be and more ever since. LFG!

Agree. Trey's durability, in my opinion, is as bad or worse than Jimmy's. But I still think he can be a good QB. But he's lost a ton of time to injuries though. Tough for him to catch up now.
Well good luck in watching all 32 teams then. Vs looking at the stats and seeing - in a quick way, which teams are doing well on certain things and which teams aren't.

Obviously that's not going to happen. But that doesn't change the idea that you won't have a great understanding of what is happening unless you watch film.

A person can be selective in teams or players they follow… and at the same time acknowledge they don't know everything about every team and player. Defaulting to box scores and advanced stats really isn't going to change that on any meaningful level.

Like you might see a certain team has won five games in a row and has scored 38 points per game and gained 450 yards on average each game. You can then choose to go back and watch the film on those five games and understand how and why it happened.

Stats & film go hand in hand, IMO. If I had to have only one - I'd take film but if you understand the context of both, you can make a very informed decision/perception.
Share 49ersWebzone