LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 238 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I hope Jerrah doesn't invite Brock on to his private yacht and bribe the man.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
In snooping around the internet the past couple of days looking for other aspects of the Brock Purdy story that haven't been covered, this popped up on YouTube suggestions. The interview was given just before the Super Bowl last February while Purdy was waiting for the decision on the surgery. In general, it is about what Kyle Shanahan has called, his "foundation."

He's well looked after by the football gods! Imagine the good fortune (in a sense) for two QB's in front of him to make way for him to play. That was definitely unfortunate for Trey and Jimmy, but was a blessed event for Brock.

Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Cg9erSF:
Originally posted by RickyRoma:
He's basically skeptical of Brock. Saying, basically - the team is carrying him, and he's a good QB, but nothing special. That's how I'm reading his posts.

Then you have a reading disorder if that's your conclusion.

So, is he a special QB or not?
Brock is special and I think he will show it Sunday night. We will see.

Agree 💯%, he's a generational talent. Most people who've watched Joe and Steve know it. His accuracy, timing and touch is unreal. I haven't seen that since Steve and Joe. As you said, Sunday night will go a long way to shut up his skeptics.

What if Lance never got injured? Are we still watching him develop and Brock is just Mr. Irrelevant serving as QB2? Glad I don't live in that alternate universe.

Hypothetically, if Lance never got injured, the offense was being catered to him. They were trying to set-up a run scheme that featured him, Deebo, and Elijah Mitchell (who got injured early). From the little we saw in the monsoon game against the Bears, and the two drives against the Seahawks... it looked like that run game was going to do well... and then presumably that would've opened up the play action passing game. There would be less dropback passing as we have/had under Purdy, Garoppolo. His most successful plays would've been off play action and designed QB runs.

Ultimately, who knows, but I also don't know if we would've traded for CMC if Trey stayed healthy. CMC's a special player, so of course we would've heavily considered trading for him. But part of the reason we traded for him last season was because even though Jeff Wilson was an incredibly productive RB, he didn't threaten teams with the outside zone runs like our previous RB's. If the Lance/Mitchell/Deebo running game worked, who knows if we felt as much of a need to trade for CMC. (I think we would've, but just saying, entirely possible we don't).

My thoughts are that if a healthy Trey played well enough, and we ended up being a playoff team, I'm not sure if Purdy would've gotten his chance to show what he could do. But on the flip side of that... Trey has had a couple injuries in his time here, and Shanahan would've deployed him as a running threat. In that hypothetical, I'm really sure he would've gotten injured at one point or another, and in the long run, Purdy WOULD have gotten his shot to show what he could do.
Originally posted by Cg9erSF:
He's basically skeptical of Brock. Saying, basically - the team is carrying him, and he's a good QB, but nothing special. That's how I'm reading his posts.

Then you have a reading disorder if that's your conclusion.

So, is he a special QB or not?
Brock is special and I think he will show it Sunday night. We will see.

Agree 💯%, he's a generational talent. Most people who've watched Joe and Steve know it. His accuracy, timing and touch is unreal. I haven't seen that since Steve and Joe. As you said, Sunday night will go a long way to shut up his skeptics.

Yep thought so. Still skeptical.

No...that is your reading disorder again. I didn't say I have doubts about his play. I said....again....there are aspects to his game that I haven't seen for me to make any determination to whether he is 'elite' IMO.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

No...that is your reading disorder again. I didn't say I have doubts about his play. I said....again....there are aspects to his game that I haven't seen for me to make any determination to whether he is 'elite' IMO.

You're saying you're still skeptical that he's special/elite. You're 1/100 but just own it instead of insulting people who are simply telling the truth about your position.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Just be honest and stop lying.
Originally posted by tankle104:
I think it's a very valuable set of data but I don't believe any one test is end all be all. So I don't consider it overhyped but I think it's very telling of a players potential in aspects of playing the position, there are still many other variables that help decide a QBs potential.

I saw it as confirming what some of us feel about Brock's great processing speed and spatial awareness.....accuracy, courage, playbook knowledge, mobility are obviously not factors for this test.

Now if Daniel Jones comes in and scores a 95, then the entire test is voided.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Oct 5, 2023 at 12:55 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Furlow:

You're saying you're still skeptical that he's special/elite. You're 1/100 but just own it instead of insulting people who are simply telling the truth about your position.

Agree 💯%
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
I think it's a very valuable set of data but I don't believe any one test is end all be all. So I don't consider it overhyped but I think it's very telling of a players potential in aspects of playing the position, there are still many other variables that help decide a QBs potential.

I saw it as confirming what some of us feel about Brock's great processing speed and spatial awareness.....accuracy, courage, playbook knowledge, mobility are obviously not factors for this test.

If Daniel Jones comes in and scores a 95, then the entire test is voided.

Jimmy scored mid 90s on it….. 😈

Jimmy scored mid 90s on it….. 😈

Really??

If so, there are aspects to Jimmy's game that are very good. He's not terribly far off being a franchise QB....
Regardless of how Purdy ended up our QB it's been a lot of fun watching this young man. It's been 20 years since I last watched a QB for the 49ers where I was crossing my fingers that they would not lose a game by dumb play. So I'm going to enjoy this ride as long as it lasts. Go 9ers!!!!!!
Originally posted by dj43:
In snooping around the internet the past couple of days looking for other aspects of the Brock Purdy story that haven't been covered, this popped up on YouTube suggestions. The interview was given just before the Super Bowl last February while Purdy was waiting for the decision on the surgery. In general, it is about what Kyle Shanahan has called, his "foundation."

great video, Brocky is a believer in Christ as his foundation
Originally posted by Furlow:

I've already given my position....I said I do not know yet. You wish to put words in my mouth to make your point, so be it.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

If Daniel Jones comes in and scores a 95, then the entire test is voided.

What I like about the s3 test (or whatever the name is) is that they do test the QB's vision and his processing speed with regards to multiple moving objects and the response rates to how many objects the QB is tracking and can track with accuracy. It's not a written test, in other words. It's a vision and spatial test. My understanding is it's given in front of a computer monitor, but I wouldn't mind it if it was given with virtual reality goggle in the future either.
Share 49ersWebzone