QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Jimmy scored mid 90s on it….. 😈

Really??

If so, there are aspects to Jimmy's game that are very good. He's not terribly far off being a franchise QB....

Agree 💯%, he's a good QB. Just a tad below elite, and he'd be elite if he had more mobility and had better mechanics. I think he has lazy mechanics and there's nothing he can do about his mobility, unfortunately.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Hypothetically, if Lance never got injured, the offense was being catered to him. They were trying to set-up a run scheme that featured him, Deebo, and Elijah Mitchell (who got injured early). From the little we saw in the monsoon game against the Bears, and the two drives against the Seahawks... it looked like that run game was going to do well... and then presumably that would've opened up the play action passing game. There would be less dropback passing as we have/had under Purdy, Garoppolo. His most successful plays would've been off play action and designed QB runs.

Ultimately, who knows, but I also don't know if we would've traded for CMC if Trey stayed healthy. CMC's a special player, so of course we would've heavily considered trading for him. But part of the reason we traded for him last season was because even though Jeff Wilson was an incredibly productive RB, he didn't threaten teams with the outside zone runs like our previous RB's. If the Lance/Mitchell/Deebo running game worked, who knows if we felt as much of a need to trade for CMC. (I think we would've, but just saying, entirely possible we don't).

My thoughts are that if a healthy Trey played well enough, and we ended up being a playoff team, I'm not sure if Purdy would've gotten his chance to show what he could do. But on the flip side of that... Trey has had a couple injuries in his time here, and Shanahan would've deployed him as a running threat. In that hypothetical, I'm really sure he would've gotten injured at one point or another, and in the long run, Purdy WOULD have gotten his shot to show what he could do.

I suspect Purdy would have ended up taking over at some point, regardless. According to Kyle, he thought Brock was playing better than Lance in training camp last year but, not having seen Brock do it in games, he was hesitant to make the switch. Even if Lance hadn't gotten injured, he would probably still have struggled with the things that ultimately led to his trade. His seeming lack of field vision and his unwillingness to let the ball rip when the throw was there. He was, by all accounts, a good kid who tried hard and I have no ill will towards him. He just didn't show enough to indicate that he could play the position better than Brock.

Really??

If so, there are aspects to Jimmy's game that are very good. He's not terribly far off being a franchise QB....

Hahaha no. I'm just playing - idk if Jimmy has even taken the test.

i like jimmy but he has limitations. He does some things very well but simultaneously does some things awful. Glad we have Brock
[ Edited by tankle104 on Oct 5, 2023 at 1:23 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
What if Lance never got injured? Are we still watching him develop and Brock is just Mr. Irrelevant serving as QB2? Glad I don't live in that alternate universe.

Originally posted by YACBros85:
Brock still may have been pushing Trey this summer and perhaps even took his job from him anyway.

Trey is a nice likable guy is the take away I get from his interviews.....

I also get from his interviews, he is not a very confident guy.....

I could see a team rally around their little brother for a time, and protect him when he makes mistakes....but there is an expiration date on how long that can last at any level, let alone in a pro level league.

"I just want to go out and get better" is an excuse that is already worn out by year 3, and the dude probably has a lot more mistakes in front of him before he is stable and standing on two legs.

My take from last year......was a big weight was lifted off the teams shoulders when Trey went down. I think that was legit response of relief we got from the team when Jimmy G walked on to the field. I suspect the team did not have a whole ton of faith that Trey was "the man".

There is a ton of high level dudes on the team starting with the head coach. I don't know how long Shanny can sit around with his offense in "training wheel mode" to drag along Trey's development. I don't know how long BA, Deebo, and Kittle swallow their pride waiting for opportunities. That is a heck of a lot of EGO on this 49er offense.....I don't know how patient that collection can be. 5? 6? games sure no problem. 1 season? maybe...season and a half? I really doubt it.

I don't think Trey would have last all that long with Purdy running the scout team. The strongest early proponents of Brock seem to be dudes he was going against on the scout team. Brock was not a hidden gem inside the building, they knew they had SOMETHING in Brock. It was only a matter of time before he got an opportunity.
Originally posted by Dshearn:

I could see a team rally around their little brother for a time, and protect him when he makes mistakes....but there is an expiration date on how long that can last at any level, let alone in a pro level league.

"I just want to go out and get better" is an excuse that is already worn out by year 3, and the dude probably has a lot more mistakes in front of him before he is stable and standing on two legs.

My take from last year......was a big weight was lifted off the teams shoulders when Trey went down. I think that was legit response of relief we got from the team when Jimmy G walked on to the field. I suspect the team did not have a whole ton of faith that Trey was "the man".

There is a ton of high level dudes on the team starting with the head coach. I don't know how long Shanny can sit around with his offense in "training wheel mode" to drag along Trey's development. I don't know how long BA, Deebo, and Kittle swallow their pride waiting for opportunities. That is a heck of a lot of EGO on this 49er offense.....I don't know how patient that collection can be. 5? 6? games sure no problem. 1 season? maybe...season and a half? I really doubt it.

I don't think Trey would have last all that long with Purdy running the scout team. The strongest early proponents of Brock seem to be dudes he was going against on the scout team. Brock was not a hidden gem inside the building, they knew they had SOMETHING in Brock. It was only a matter of time before he got an opportunity.

It's really hard to see this any other way for a variety of reasons. Not only did the team improve in the immediate short term by getting Jimmy in over Trey, but it was the first domino that fell on the path to getting Brock an opportunity he may not have had otherwise. The other positive from Trey's injury is it prevented what seemed like an almost inevitable situation where the team's offense continues to underperform and the players know they have better options on the bench. This team has been very strong in terms of unity and chemistry from an outside perspective, and Kyle and CO. were gambling with this by potentially sacrificing the team's ceiling to develop Trey. It was really bad in my opinion and had the potential for disaster.

That said, the injury itself was a terrible thing for Trey. It doesn't feel good to think it was a positive for the team because Trey is a great kid and was doing everything the right way. He's easy to root for as a person in spite of not being a good enough player for the team in the state it's in.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:

Really??

Agree 💯%, he's a good QB. Just a tad below elite, and he'd be elite if he had more mobility and had better mechanics. I think he has lazy mechanics and there's nothing he can do about his mobility, unfortunately.

Tad below elite ? lol wut ?! Jimmy is no where near elite status. He's a middle of the pack quarterback, likely in the 15-20 range and arguably in the 20-25 range. Elite status is top 5, and close to elite is 5-10. We could make an argument that Brock is kind of getting in that range where we can start discussing "excellent" on his way to elite.

But Jimmy ? Lol, not even close…
Originally posted by DrEll:
Tad below elite ? lol wut ?! Jimmy is no where near elite status. He's a middle of the pack quarterback, likely in the 15-20 range and arguably in the 20-25 range. Elite status is top 5, and close to elite is 5-10. We could make an argument that Brock is kind of getting in that range where we can start discussing "excellent" on his way to elite.

But Jimmy ? Lol, not even close…

Yep.

Really??

Well...this explains a lot.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

It's really hard to see this any other way for a variety of reasons. Not only did the team improve in the immediate short term by getting Jimmy in over Trey, but it was the first domino that fell on the path to getting Brock an opportunity he may not have had otherwise. The other positive from Trey's injury is it prevented what seemed like an almost inevitable situation where the team's offense continues to underperform and the players know they have better options on the bench. This team has been very strong in terms of unity and chemistry from an outside perspective, and Kyle and CO. were gambling with this by potentially sacrificing the team's ceiling to develop Trey. It was really bad in my opinion and had the potential for disaster.

That said, the injury itself was a terrible thing for Trey. It doesn't feel good to think it was a positive for the team because Trey is a great kid and was doing everything the right way. He's easy to root for as a person in spite of not being a good enough player for the team in the state it's in.

Did we? We were under .500 until we traded for CMC with all of our wins to that point being driven by the defense.

Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Did we? We were under .500 until we traded for CMC with all of our wins to that point being driven by the defense.

Yes we did, lol. There is absolutely zero doubt Jimmy was and is a better QB than Trey Lance, and it's not particularly close. Trey might not even be a top 60 QB in the NFL currently.

We were 3-3 when we traded for CMC by the way. Two of those losses being primarily caused by our management of the QB position and in the third we were missing 8 of 11 defensive* starters on the road. There was very little doubt we were a SB contending team throughout the season.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Oct 5, 2023 at 2:24 PM ]

Yes we did, lol. There is absolutely zero doubt Jimmy was and is a better QB than Trey Lance, and it's not particularly close. Trey might not even be a top 60 QB in the NFL currently.

We were 3-3 when we traded for CMC by the way. Two of those losses being primarily caused by our management of the QB position and in the third we were missing 8 of 11 defensive* starters on the road. There was very little doubt we were a SB contending team throughout the season.

We all know Shanny appears to start slow....Even this year I expect us to pick up steam later in the year......

on top of that.....

I think most teams that spend the entire offseason building a gimmick offense around a limited QB would have issues totally changing the offense the second game into a 3-3 start.

One would have to be pretty disingenuous to blame Jimmy G for that 3-3 start. The offense lost an entire offseason of work with that QB switch.

We were on pace to a below .500 season with him at QB until the CMC trade. I don't care if we were technically 3-3 when the trade went down. CMC was only here 2-3 days before the Chiefs game, so I'm really counting it as being one of the CMC games. We weren't going to win s**t with Jimmy at QB until that trade went down. The only reason we had any success in 2021 was defense and Deebo/McDaniel and that formula wasn't going to work for us in 2022.
We all know Shanny appears to start slow....Even this year I expect us to pick up steam later in the year......

on top of that.....

I think most teams that spend the entire offseason building a gimmick offense around a limited QB would have issues totally changing the offense the second game into a 3-3 start.

One would have to be pretty disingenuous to blame Jimmy G for that 3-3 start. The offense lost an entire offseason of work with that QB switch.

Pretty much. Only real disagreement, or argument I'd make is that the slow starts the last two seasons were primarily because of substandard QB play, QB injury, and management of the position by the staff. Our offense was a mess to start both years.

It was fun to watch people predict it would happen again this year when the primary factors for it the last two years had been addressed. For as chaotic as this offseason seemed to be among fans the reality is we had stability for the first time in years.
We were on pace to a below .500 season with him at QB until the CMC trade. I don't care if we were technically 3-3 when the trade went down. CMC was only here 2-3 days before the Chiefs game, so I'm really counting it as being one of the CMC games. We weren't going to win s**t with Jimmy at QB until that trade went down. The only reason we had any success in 2021 was defense and Deebo/McDaniel and that formula wasn't going to work for us in 2022.

You're attributing too much of the team's success and/or failure on the QB position. This team is a contender with average QB play and that's been proven 3 separate years now since 2019.

The bottom line is playing Jimmy at the QB position instead of Trey is an improvement, regardless of your feeling about what the team eventually would have done. That's simply because Jimmy is a better player than Trey. Anybody with any reasonable understanding of the position can see this. The idea was that Trey would potentially develop and get better. Whether that would have actually happened is a guess and really didn't look likely at least in my opinion. Not any time soon at least.
Share 49ersWebzone