There are 248 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by scooterp10:
Trade Brock and a 1st for Caleb Williams?

Why? We already have a QB that hasn't lost a regular season game. Is that not good enough to keep? Lol I don't get it.
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
Originally posted by dj43:
In snooping around the internet the past couple of days looking for other aspects of the Brock Purdy story that haven't been covered, this popped up on YouTube suggestions. The interview was given just before the Super Bowl last February while Purdy was waiting for the decision on the surgery. In general, it is about what Kyle Shanahan has called, his "foundation."

great video, Brocky is a believer in Christ as his foundation

His comment that he knows who he is apart from football allows him to focus on being the best football player he can be. He isn't chasing money (though he will eventually get a LOT), or fame (he has it anyway). He just wants to make the most of the opportunity God has given him. His teammates talk about his authenticity, and that really comes through in this interview. How he overcame doubts going through the draft, and related events, and how a Bible verse became his centerpiece through it all. Mark 8:34
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
I think you're the one attributing too much of the team's success to the QB position. This team last year could have carried Trey to a .500 record just like they carried Jimmy. We weren't winning anything with either of them, but once the CMC trade went down the team was fully capable of carrying a QB. Now we're seeing what it looks like for the first time in the KS era what it looks like when the QB is an actual contributor to the team's success rather than a hindrance.

Yea, I'm not. As I argued all offseason there was ample evidence to suggest the team couldn't carry Trey and still win and zero evidence that they could. The team was dysfunctional offensively in every appearance he had outside of 1 quarter against a really bad Texans team. His problems were glaring on tape in all of those games.

QB isn't plug and play. Jimmy is an average starter in the league and Trey isn't close to that. There is absolutely zero actual evidence to make an argument that an offense wouldn't be affected negatively by playing a considerably worse player at the most important position. We saw it. Some just aren't capable of recognizing it. Weren't you among those predicting a slow start again this year? Pretty sure you were. Slow starts happen for a reason… it's not simply a matter of our team DNA, lol.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
If he has a big game, he'll be on the shortlist for mvp, unless his big game is throwing to CMC, who may end up with the praise

I'd like Brock to break Big Ben's rookie win streak.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Patton:

Why? We already have a QB that hasn't lost a regular season game. Is that not good enough to keep? Lol I don't get it.

Some folks enamored with potential vs actual. That's how I see it.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
In snooping around the internet the past couple of days looking for other aspects of the Brock Purdy story that haven't been covered, this popped up on YouTube suggestions. The interview was given just before the Super Bowl last February while Purdy was waiting for the decision on the surgery. In general, it is about what Kyle Shanahan has called, his "foundation."

His comment that he knows who he is apart from football allows him to focus on being the best football player he can be. He isn't chasing money (though he will eventually get a LOT), or fame (he has it anyway). He just wants to make the most of the opportunity God has given him. His teammates talk about his authenticity, and that really comes through in this interview. How he overcame doubts going through the draft, and related events, and how a Bible verse became his centerpiece through it all. Mark 8:34

Faith has a scientifically proven effect. Folks who have faith in a higher power generally have more endurance, more patience, and ability to go beyond what is considered physical limitations. At least generally speaking.

I belive Brees was also a believer in a higher power.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
It's an interesting question though.

To me, I would consider it. As crazy as it sounds, I don't think I've ever seen a prospect as impressive as Caleb Williams and I was very high on Patrick Mahomes coming out.

I think you'd have to at least consider it. The only thing I'd say is we'll have a lot more information about Brock by the time a theoretical trade like this could become a reality. If he continues to play as he has and our offense stays a top 3 offense throughout an entire season, I don't think you do it.

I'd like our team to gamble big when it's appropriate, lol. If there's one lesson to be learned in what we did with Trey…

Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Patton:

Some folks enamored with potential vs actual. That's how I see it.

Yeah, definitely not trying to rock the boat that we're cruising in now, lol. It feels like this team has great chemistry from the ownership, coaching staff and all the way down.
Brock has shown to be not only a great player, but a humble, hard working, good leader that's all in, all the time. I think we're in a great place with this team right now, we just need to keep it intact and keep improving it with quality backups and depth.
Sorry if this has been answered already, but does anyone know which lineman is Brock's roomie?

Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Can't see either party (us and the potential #1 pick) ever agreeing to such a trade.

We have what seems like a perfect system fit at an absolute bottom barrel price, and Brock's league wide worth probably isn't enough to get up to the 1 spot for another team (in conjunction with 1 likely very low 1st rounder)

He listed the 49ers on his shortlist of teams

Originally posted by Giedi:

Faith has a scientifically proven effect. Folks who have faith in a higher power generally have more endurance, more patience, and ability to go beyond what is considered physical limitations. At least generally speaking.

I belive Brees was also a believer in a higher power.

Yes, Brees has made no secret of the fact he is a born-again Christian. His faith was on full display during the Katrina disaster in NOLA. His foundation played a big role in the recovery, and the citizens loved him for it. Though he didn't like the nickname, he became known as Breesus during that time. From the Purdy interview, he noted Brees as a role model.

Interestingly they are close to the same size.
He listed the 49ers on his shortlist of teams

Right but you still have to get to the first pick to make it happen. And we'll conservatively be in the mid-late 20's to start. You're talking multiple firsts and players and it would be a bidding war with teams in a stronger position to make better offers.

Theoretically it would be an interesting situation to keep Purdy, trade up to 1 and draft Caleb and then sit him for Purdy's last cheap year. I say theoretically because there's no chance any of this happens, lol.
Originally posted by mattster03:
Sorry if this has been answered already, but does anyone know which lineman is Brock's roomie?

Zakelj and Gonzales.
Share 49ersWebzone